WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by v_astro View Post
    I'm no wuss, but I do enjoy the comfort of an air mattress versus the hard ground. What am I missing here? What do others do that don't take up so much space?
    Check out Thermarest pads at a shop like REI or EMS or Campmor. When inflated they're about an inch thick. They have a highly compressible foam core. Nothing at all like a swimming pool air mattress or a road-camping air mattress.

When rolled up the roll is about 3" diameter. You can get a decent "shortie" pad that weighs less than 1 lb. But not cheap. To give you an idea of the volume: it only takes about three or four lung-fulls to inflate one. In fact if you're patient enough they will mostly self-inflate.

The next cheaper option is a closed cell foam pad, material used to be called EnsoLight, Z-Lite, etc. Or the ThermaRest "RidgeCrest" pad. Very light, rugged, inexpensive, but not as comfy as the inflatable versions, and bulkier when stowed.

Quote Originally Posted by v_astro View Post
    Morning All,

I'm very excited to be planning a life-long ambition of beginning to hike the AT.

I've picked three days (two nights) in mid June where I'm going to attempt to hike from Harpers Ferry to Manassas Gap and have my wife pick me up in Linden, VA for the drive back to Northern Virginia.

I've picked up the PATC map of these sections and have been studying them, am doing online research, and visited the PATC HQ in Vienna, VA last night to get some advice.

A few questions if you don't mind:

1. Per my discussions with the PATC folks, they told me most of the thru hikers going northbound should be hitting Virginia right about now. He recommended going southbound to avoid the traffic. I really have my choice of going north or south in NOVA, but Harpers to Manassas Gap seemed the easiest dropping off point and picking up point from Fairfax. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to do this route or is there a better one I'm not considering?

2. I've been looking at the distances between shelters. I don't know if I should be concerned or not. I plan on taking a 2 man tent, but I want to make sure I'll have access to water and the ability to make a fire. Not sure if I can make a fire "just anywhere." I've read it must be in designated areas, and I'm wondering if the shelter spots are the only "designated areas" along the AT in VA. If not, I have no problem pulling off to the side and making a fire in a pit, but somehow I don't think that would fly. I'm just concerned about the distances because it looks like Harpers Ferry to the Bear Den Hostel is 20.2 miles. I figure on a good day pushing it a bit I can do 15-20 miles. Is that unreasonable? Because that would involve going through the "Devil's Racecourse" in the later part of the day and that's a long stretch between the Blackburn Trail Center and Bear Den. I'm just trying to think of options I'd have. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Like I said, I'll have a tent and don't necessarily need to sleep at a shelter, but if anyone has a recommended plan, I'd appreciate it.

3. Baring any freak winter storms or showers, what should I expect as far as weather and clothes? I was told it'd be a little cool at night, but shorts and t-shirts should be fine for the three days I'll be out there.

4. I have a water filtration system and other items. Anything else specifically I should consider bringing?

5. Finally, as far as food is concerned, I'm former military and have no problem with MREs, but saw they are frowned upon on the AT. Aside from power bars, granola bars, water, etc., what should I consider buying for "main meals" on this short section hike?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give. I'm very excited about this as I've been looking forward to doing something like this for 15 years or so.

Best,

V.

Again i didn't read all the responses but I have done this hike many times.

1.Its a pretty aggressive hike. If you haven't done much backpacking you're gonna be exhausted. If you have, I think NB is the better hike. I would go Linden to Rod Hollow and Rod Hollow to Blackburn (or David Lesser).

2. See above.

3. I would take:

Wear: Shorts and a quick dry tee shirt.

Pack: Extra socks, long sleeve, light insulation piece, rain jacket, rain pants

4.Aqua Mira with the bottom of a water bottle ( it can run thin there and you could need a dipper)

5. 1 ramen, 2 oatmeal x 2, tortilla with cheese and salami x 2 , 1 pasta side , 2 cider x 2 , 375 whiskey , 2 snicker.

Great advice. Thanks all.

On a budget, I'd consider just snagging a blue foam pad from Wal-Mart. They're ~$7 in the camping section and will keep rocks and sticks out of your back as well as keeping you warm. It's not the most comfortable solution, but sleeping pads are expensive and it may take you time to find the perfect one before you are willing to spend the money... This will get you hiking right away for a fraction of a fraction of the cost.

Also, when you do get your nicer pad they can be cut into sections to make perfect little sit pads. It's amazing how much warmer (not to mention drier) sitting on it is compared to the cold ground.

The blue foam pad can be cut, I mean. I don't want to be accused of telling you to cut a more expensive pad into sections.

Default First Time AT Section Hike (Harpers Ferry to Manassas Gap) - Questions!

v_astro,

I'll be traveling through this area in early July. Any chance you could scope out any camping possibilities within a couple miles north of Dicks Dome Shelter? I had originally planned on staying there, but based on what I've read it sounds like a poor spot. Grabbing water and then tenting a little father north seems preferable. Thanks!

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes, chfdwolfpack. I'll have to remember to come back here and give you the info you're looking for!

My max is 19 miles in a day, but I've never tried to do a 24 hour push. I like to leave something in the tank, being too sore to move in the woods sounds like a bad idea.

I do think I'll try a day hike MD challenge sometime soon. I'm so familiar with the section that logistics will be easy, after that it's just walking.

My wife has agreed to drop me off early Sunday the 15th. If I start around 9 to 10 AM from HF, that will give me about 10 hours of daylight hiking.

Is it reasonable to think I can clear the Rollercoaster on that first day? To get to Bear Den looks like 20 miles from HF, with about 7 or 8 through the Rollercoaster

I'd like to either knock that part out, or do some of it. I feel like only going 12-13 on a full day the first day would be a bit of a waste.

Or, are there any spots within the Rollercoaster where I could set up camp?

(I know I'm overthinking this. It's my curse...)

The northern end of the "roller coaster" is 3.9 miles north of the Bear's Den side trail so you would only have less than four miles of the roller coaster hiking from Harpers Ferry to Bears Den. I hiked Bears Den to Harpers Ferry NOBO in one day last month and my recollection is that the portion of the roller coaster north of Bears Den isn't that bad. In contrast, the ten miles of roller coaster south of Bears Den kicked my ass, but that was the end of a 22 mile day in the rain so my mood wasn't that great either.

If you are in good shape and aren't carrying too much weight, I think that HF to Bears Den in 10 hours is very reasonable. An idea: if you are driving from NVA, stop at Bears Den in the morning on the way to HF and drop off everything you won't need on the first day of hiking. Then you can hike from HF to Bears Den with minimal weight.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chfdwolfpack View Post
    v_astro,

I'll be traveling through this area in early July. Any chance you could scope out any camping possibilities within a couple miles north of Dicks Dome Shelter? I had originally planned on staying there, but based on what I've read it sounds like a poor spot. Grabbing water and then tenting a little father north seems preferable. Thanks!
    Heading north keep your eyes peeled for a spur trail, on the left about a mile from "the Dome" that leads to several campsites. There is also a spring to the right and a little ways downhill and off the trail if memory serves me correctly.

Well, the day is finally upon me. Tomorrow at 8 AM we set out from NOVA to HP. They'll be dropping me off at the base of Loudon Heights around 9 AM and my wife will (hopefully) be picking me up in Linden, VA around 4 or 5 on Tuesday. Really looking forward to it. If anyone will be out on the trail in that area, let me know.

V.

v_astro, How was the hike?

I'm planning the same trip for this weekend and am curious to know what kind of experiences you had.

Bendini

This was a great thread - esp since it's a section I could see myself doing. I hope the OP comes back with a review of what worked/what didn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++