WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking Partner wanted for NY section late-June

Hey all, looking to do my first section of the AT this summer on route to pick up my wife in NYC. Driving from Minneapolis and have a week of PTO to kill, so decided to leave a week early and do a through hike of the 88-mile New York section of the trail. Looking to start approximately June 29, finish before the 4th (give or take a day). I promised the wife I wouldn't hike solo, and likely to go northbound from Greenwood Lake to Pawling. Reply or PM if interested!
    "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost;
    the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost."

You didn't ask this but I'll offer unsolicited advice: I'd hike it southbound. Starting at Greenwood Lake means you have the toughest part right off-the-bat with many short but very steep ups and downs. The section of NY east of the Hudson (Pawling to the Bear Mountain Bridge) is noticeably easier than west of the Hudson. Hiking southbound means you'll have acquired your trail legs and your body will be better acclimated to toting the backpack by the time you hit Harriman Park across the Hudson.

Also, be prepared for heat, humidity, and mosquitoes.

++ New Posts ++