WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for a hiking partner for division 10

The top of Mt. Mansfield looks a bit tricky with all the alternate trails. I'd really like to find someone who knows this section and is willing to sobo hike it with me. I'm 61 and in excellent shape. Not fast but a steady hiker.

The top of Mansfield is easy and quite flat. It's the descent just off the summit ridge, on either side, that gets gnarly. I did it late last summer. I got through it but it was a bit spooky in a couple of places.

Sorry, I'm not looking to do it again -- I'm hoping to finish off the LT this summer, from Rte. 108 to Canada.

I was also thinking of the alternate trails on both sides of the summit that are recommended for inclement weather. There are so many of them and I could see myself getting turned around.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I wouldn't be too concerned. The trails are very well marked and junctions are well-signed. I worked up there one summer and very few hikers had problems finding their way. The exceptions as a rule had no maps and no experience. It's a beautiful mountain, just be sure to be there on a weekday if you can... it's popular.

++ New Posts ++