WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It I'd definitely the Helium II. I did treat it with McNett prior to the trip but the DWR may not have been fully restored for some reason. I did use it almost every day and I'm not sure how long the dwr should last without retreatment.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

The jacket was not new, over a year old. I used it on the JMT last year but only had a little rain on that trip.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I've read mixed reports of the OR Helium II Pertex Shield + 2.5 L wetting out even when new. I'm trying to get a feel for the jackets capabilities without purchasing it.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

My GoLite Tumalo finally gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a "Mountain Hardware Dry-Q Evap Capacitor" here: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mou...colorFamily=03

$160 at Sierra Trading Post, then 30% off with coupon code "SFB73114" which is good until August 31st.

Here's a review: http://www.activegearreview.com/runn...jacket-review/

Cold weather I take a light rain jacket, as much for a wind breaker as a rain jacket. Warmer weather (>40*) I use a poncho, never had a problem sweating in a poncho, just throw it back to ventilate. The poncho worked about as well as possible hiking in mountains where there's no wind on one side and you sweat hard and then come around to the other side and there's a 40 MPH wind freezing you.

Images

No on days off due to rain...........I find that I wind up hiking more miles on rainy days in that sitting around for an hour break in the middle of the day just doesn't happen, or taking as many breaks to enjoy the views, a nice sitting rock, whatever.

As for getting damp, I often wear my rain jacket against bare skin, I stay warm and my tee shirt (merino wool) does not get soaked - from the outside or the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    My GoLite Tumalo finally gave up the ghost and I replaced it with a "Mountain Hardware Dry-Q Evap Capacitor" here:http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mou...colorFamily=03

$160 at Sierra Trading Post, then 30% off with coupon code "SFB73114" which is good until August 31st.

Here's a review: http://www.activegearreview.com/runn...jacket-review/
    Yeah, my one GoLite Tumalo bit the dust being lost in the mail as a warrantied return. The seams where the arms attached to the main jacket body on the back blew out despite it being an XL and a bit loose fitting on me. Other than that it was still in premo condition. The Tumalo was well worth it in many respects since I bought at a steep discount at a GoLite Outlet on sale($65) in price, length of use(I got more than 4500 miles/5 thru-hikes of mine), and in use(it functioned nicely in all day rain even though I did reapply a WPing agent at some pt), and it had some good features(NOT a UL feature limited rain jacket)

I looked at the MH Capacitor(read that review) and Plasmic as a replacement but instead went with the Montbell Versalite in XL at 7.3 ozs(my scales). I like that it has similar specs as another rain jacket I have, the Marmot Mica, but with pit zips. I thought the price on the MB Versalite was agreeable too buying mine for $90 at Eastern Mountain Sports where I then applied a $20 coupon/Gear Dollars and applying a EMS merch credit I had. The MB Versalite has been working out shweet in cooler all day rain conditions.

Around the same time the Eastern Mountain Sports Airflow w/ 2.5 L Event DVL w/ pit zips(unusual for a Event jacket) went on sale at $119.99 and couldn't resist pulling the trigger. I'll wear that on really constantly rainy hikes when I'm not being such a gram weenie. Haven't any experience with it yet though.

If you're ever out in the Reno area you might consider stopping in at Sierra Trading Post. About two yrs ago they moved into a much larger location and have plenty of low priced limited quantity/sized and close outs not listed on their website.

Come back and report your field trials with the MB Capacitor. I'll do the same with the jackets I just bought.

I'm going to miss the Tumalo double zip feature. I really like the adjustable cuffs too as well as the brim that didn't flop into my face.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The seams where the arms attached to the main jacket body on the back blew out despite it being an XL and a bit loose fitting on me.
    That is EXACTLY what happened to mine. Right arm.

And... I also almost pulled the trigger on the Versalite. I suspect that both jackets will do the job equally well and that neither will disappoint.
    Last edited by 10-K; 08-30-2014 at 20:49.

Default Me too. (Wondering)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It definitely was the Helium II? The OR Helium II was new? and it still wet out? in only 45 mins of sustained rain?

If yes to all four questions thank you for the feedback. I was wondering about these exact things.
    My OR transfer hoody wets out also.

As I'm looking at a high end puffy, I'm researching the best way to minimize the weight and pieces to carry.

I want to carry a puffy and rain jacket/softshell. The puffy seems delicate/fragile for bushwhacking so a durable cover is needed.

I currently own
    set of Frogg Toggs
    set of Stearns non breathable rain jacket and pants.
    Poncho packcover
    OR Transfer hoody (it too wets out within an hour of steady rain and is comparatively heavy)
    pair of thin running/wind pants.
    a set of gaiter

I'm thinking the puffy and the poncho pack cover and maybe the wind pants and gaiters as the best combination for wet 40 degree backpacking. I seem to run on the cold side when stopping or in wet weather.

Any comments or tips?
    To be used in the Long trail/Vermont area.

Thanks
    Rolex

When I hike in the "warmer" months I usually don't wear any rain gear while hiking. It's just not needed for warmth. Which is "kinda" the purpose of rain gear to begin with. To keep you warm. I don't ever bring rain pants with me. Never found a use for em. YMMV. I always bring my rain jacket with me.

I'll throw my rain jacket on if I'm close to camp and it begins to rain. Just so I stay dry. Close enough to camp where I won't sweat profusely under my rain coat. I will also wear my rain jacket if I need to setup/takedown camp and its raining. I also sometimes throw my rain coat over my pack if it starts raining and I forgot to close up my compactor bag liner in my pack. I also use my rain jacket if I'm in camp, nice and dry, and its raining, and then I gotta take a leak in the middle of the night. Why get wet, if you don't have too? I also use my rain jacket as a windbreaker or if im cold.

I won't go hiking without my rain jacket in my pack. But my recommendation would be to go with a light rain jacket shell over a heavier, bulky, insulated rain jacket. I personally use a Marmot Mica as of right now. Well worth the 7oz's even though I don't use it everyday. If you need insulation, there's much better systems to stay warm when wet. Merino Wool comes to mind.

When I just thru hiked the LT last month. I went SOBO. It rained the first 5 days and didn't break 50 degrees at all. I was glad to have my rain jacket. Rain pants never crossed my mind.

I think my favorite use for my rain jacket is as stated above. When I'm in my hammock/tent/shelter and I gotta go to the bathroom while it's raining out I can just slip my coat on and go do business. When I get back into my shelter I take my rain coat off and I'm not soaking wet. That's nice when your crawling back into your sleeping bag.

Of course, this is just what I do. I met a bunch of people who sent home their rain gear during the warmer months on the AT in order to lower their pack weights.

One of my goals is to be able to have a light pack weight and never feel the need to send something home because it's too "heavy" or not "needed". So a light rain jacket like the Mica or Helium II fits the bill. I wish I could justify Cuben Fiber rain gear. But, the costs keep me from going in that direction.

Regards

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

What fastfoxengineering said. You will get wet. Rain gear is to keep you warm in ice-cold or wind-driven rain.

I use rain pants, but only when it's blowing a gale or freezing cold. I think the last time I wore them was a trip back around the start of the year when it was about 29 degrees F and freezing rain the whole dratted time. My crampons got a workout, too. I got back to my car with a good half inch of ice on my pack cover.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Agreed that rain gear's primary purpose is to keep you warm. Getting wet in heavy or prolonged rains is a foregone conclusion.

I use a full-featured MontBell rain jacket, but I'm still a bit "damp" after a heavy soaking. For pant I use a ULA rain kilt (2.5 oz!) because I don't like soaked pants, and I also use eVent rain mitts if it's cold because wet hands will quickly lose dexterity and that is not good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++