WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 50 mile hike recommendations in NC for a group of about 15, ages 13 to 50? Summer '15

Will we have shelter issues with a group that size? Prefer to camp along the way, if possible.

Yes a group that size will Diffenatly have shelter issues, here is a couple of hiking recommendations for you to look at, 1- US 76 Dicks creek gap TO Winding stair gap this you will start in northern GA and hike a couple of miles to the NC line then continue north this option is ( 40.2 miles ) 2- Winding stair Gap TO NC 28 at Fontana Dam, this is ( 54.9 miles ) the first option is a little easier than the 2nd option you could also do either one SOBO, but the 2nd option in my oppion is way more scenic. or you could go into the GSMNP

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The AT straddles the NC/TN border to a large extent.

GSMNP doesn't offer many quick bail-out options, especially on the north end of the Park, plus I doubt you would be able to get sufficient permits for a group this size.

Another option might be to start/end at Damascus, VA, just north of the VA/TN border. The AT 50 miles south of Damascus is pretty easy, with a number of road crossings that could prove useful. You could end/start at Dennis Cove, just south of Hampton, TN.

You might also want to think about splitting this group into 2-3 teams to avoid over-burdening any one campsite. You certainly shouldn't be planning to stay in any shelters, and few shelters have sufficient tent space for a group this size.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    GSMNP doesn't offer many quick bail-out options, especially on the north end of the Park, plus I doubt you would be able to get sufficient permits for a group this size.
    More importantly, GSMNP doesn't allow groups of more than 8.
    You could try to "cheat" the system and have two different adults obtain permits for 8 people each. But most camp sites and shelters only allow 10 or 12 campers per night (with some as few as 4).

GSMNP isn't out of the question... but you would have to divide into two groups. Perhaps set a path, but half the group hike it in one direction, another group hike it in the other.

Please have consideration for other campers that might be camping in the vicinity. Ask the campers to keep the noise down after dark. Last year I camped near a youth group and the leader blew a wake up whistle at 6 am.

I feel your pain. As a scout leader for 16 years I had the pleasure to plan many a trip for large groups like yours. My suggestion is to take RED_DOG's option 2 but break the group up into two teams. One team could start at each end and pass each other in the middle. The adults could exchange car keys and this would eliminate the need for a shuttle. I have used this method several times and it works well. As far as GSMNP goes even with two groups of 7 or 8 hikers each you would have a tough time with permits. The largest group we ever had in the GSMNP using this method was two teams of 6. Good luck.

Oh no not a whistle!!!!!! Poor thing you
    Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    Please have consideration for other campers that might be camping in the vicinity. Ask the campers to keep the noise down after dark. Last year I camped near a youth group and the leader blew a wake up whistle at 6 am.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chelko View Post
    I feel your pain. As a scout leader for 16 years I had the pleasure to plan many a trip for large groups like yours. My suggestion is to take RED_DOG's option 2 but break the group up into two teams. One team could start at each end and pass each other in the middle. The adults could exchange car keys and this would eliminate the need for a shuttle. I have used this method several times and it works well. As far as GSMNP goes even with two groups of 7 or 8 hikers each you would have a tough time with permits. The largest group we ever had in the GSMNP using this method was two teams of 6. Good luck.
    If you are willing to break the group into two separate groups, a GSMNP hike is totally doable. Permits shouldn't be a problem because we're talking about a 4 to 7 night hike. You get to apply for permits as soon as 30 days before the START of your trip, so you would be able to get a jump on those only planning 1, 2 or 3 night hikes.

If you are willing to break up into groups of no larger than 8 and would like to hike GSMNP, let me know and I would be glad to suggest something if you can provide more details (max distance per day, abilities to climb hills, number of days, etc).

Shelters are NOT for groups, plan to tent camp. http://appalachiantrail.org/hiking/h...mping-shelters

Images

What about from hot springs north to the next interstate (i26 I think)? That's around 45 miles or so.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chelko View Post
    I would do this if possible, break into 2 smaller groups. Everyones experience will be enhanced as well. Large groups....just plain suck...both to be a part of, and to be around.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I would do this if possible, break into 2 smaller groups. Everyones experience will be enhanced as well. Large groups....just plain suck...both to be a part of, and to be around.
    DITTO.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Not sure when in the summer your plans are (or what your school schedule makes the "summer break" as I know that varies from area to area), but I would think? that time might be a bit quieter (at least in terms of thru hikers) for the area you are suggesting, as anyone heading northbound would be gone (if they plan to get to ME by October) and those coming south wouldn't be that far yet?

That's a reason that what we've usually done up here in the MA-NY sections is either doing longer trips during the April school break (ahead of thru hiker season) or doing weekend fall trips (after both N&S have passed the area, for the most part at least). Trying to avoid the main summer seasons where there would be more usage from people going both ways.

Of course, the MA sections have the benefits of having many of the "newer" style shelters, which can easily accommodate a group (maybe not 15, but at least 10) and still have space for individuals as well (these shelters have the loft setup, which generally fits as many youth as you have, as they don't mind squeezing in if it means not having to set up a tent , and then 4 bunks plus floor space for everyone else). I'm guessing the shelters farther south are all of the smaller variety?

Group wise - If those leading them are skilled enough to keep them under control so they don't disturb others who may be camping there it shouldn't be an issue for others. My guess is that those who dislike larger groups have had the unfortunate experience to run into one that wasn't as well "controlled" and hopefully don't automatically treat all groups based on the actions of the one(s) they've met.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    The AT straddles the NC/TN border to a large extent.

Another option might be to start/end at Damascus, VA, just north of the VA/TN border. The AT 50 miles south of Damascus is pretty easy, with a number of road crossings that could prove useful. You could end/start at Dennis Cove, just south of Hampton, TN.

You might also want to think about splitting this group into 2-3 teams to avoid over-burdening any one campsite. You certainly shouldn't be planning to stay in any shelters, and few shelters have sufficient tent space for a group this size.
    Everything Kerosene said. Black Bear resort at Dennis Cover Rd. can accommodate your group. But it's rare to find a place with that much room to accommodate guests. As previously mentioned, splitting your group up for camping (and realistically hiking) purposes would lessen your impact on the trail and be more amenable to hikers traveling with or against your direction of travel. Consider meeting up for meals or at strategic points each day but allowing faster hikers to move ahead and slower hikers to bring up the rear, sorting it all out again at your campsites that evening. Or other split options. Main thing is it will be more fun if the group can separate a bit. The slow ones don't have to "death march" and the fast ones don't gripe about how slow they have to go
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Large groups move slowly. Think 1 mph overall. And do bring tarps or tents.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Large groups move slowly. Think 1 mph overall. And do bring tarps or tents.
    Yep.
    Someones always thirsty and wanting a break.
    Someones always tired and wants a break.
    Someone always needs to stop and go potty.
    People are always losing items

It takes 1.5 hrs to get going in the morning from the time you get people up

Been there, didnt enjoy it a lot.

The bigger the group gets, the more frequent the issues become, causing everyone aggravation.

Will do Hammock Hanger. We'll be very mindful of others.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Yes a group that size will Diffenatly have shelter issues, here is a couple of hiking recommendations for you to look at, 1- US 76 Dicks creek gap TO Winding stair gap this you will start in northern GA and hike a couple of miles to the NC line then continue north this option is ( 40.2 miles ) 2- Winding stair Gap TO NC 28 at Fontana Dam, this is ( 54.9 miles ) the first option is a little easier than the 2nd option you could also do either one SOBO, but the 2nd option in my oppion is way more scenic. or you could go into the GSMNP
    Thanks Red Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by No Directions View Post
    We will do our best to be considerate of others ND. Thanks.

to Everybody...
    Scout groups have pretty rigid guidelines, that are sometimes difficult to plan around. Two deep leadership is required at all times, more is desired for treks. This means that for two groups, you need a minimum of 4 adults. It is also helpful if each group has an adult leader who is trained (ie..knows what they are doing). This is partly why so many scout groups are large.

Adults should not sleep with scouts(in same tent or shelter), so shelter use is a problem. Obviously, scouts should not "share" a shelter with strangers on the trail.

For the AT in NC in the summer, tarps are a great option. Bugs are not a real problem and the tarps are light. It's good practice for the kids to figure out how to set up the tarps in different ways. (rain flys of the "classic" scout timberline tent can make a good tarp. Or the rainfly of a larger car camping tent).

There are plenty of good camping spots near water near the trail....so don't think of shelter spots as the only place to camp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++