WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: UL Pillow

I usually just sleep on my pack but I bought a LuminAID as an impulse buy when I ordered my backpack. It's pretty neat. It's a waterproof inflatable solar light that doubles as a pillow. At 3oz that's not bad for a multi-use item. I've only used it twice but slept fine both times. Good luck finding what you're looking for!

http://www.luminaid.com/product/luminaid-solar-light/

Journal Entries
    Images

thank you for the dual purpose idea awesome.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

A friend of mine is a pilot and was looking for a lightweight pillow to keep in the plane and picked up a "travel pillow" at walmart that got me to thinking...its pretty lightweight and just big enough for your head. I've always just used extra clothing and gear for a pillow, but the older I get the less comfortable this is.

REI is shipping my new ExPed UL L as we speak. Good nights ahead. Thanks for all the input.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Images

I've gone to using my clothes bag with my buff over it for a pillow case. i've tired 2 inflatables and a stuff sack with fleece sewn to one side similar to what zpacks sells and nothing works as well for me for as my clothes bag and buff. it's taken me two years of experimenting and stiff necks.

Default UL Pillow

I recently bought a cheap $2 beach ball (weighs just over 2 oz) and have been experimenting with it as a pillow at various levels of inflation. (just stuff it in a shirt to avoid sleeping on plastic. It works really well on my side - much better than anything else I've tried. The only drawback is that I need it to be inflated more for side sleeping and less for sleeping on my stomach. (Those of you who can sleep on their back are really lucky!). Now I'm planning to try experimenting with a cheap kids swim ring. I'm thinking that I could partially inflate it to a comfortable level for stomach sleeping and just double it over when I want more height to sleep on my side.

I use the old thermarest at a whopping 9.5 oz. It is my one luxury item. I would love to find something lighter that is as comfortable but no luck yet. I have been considering cutting it in half as it seems it will still have usable dimensions. The only hard part I would think is sewing it shut before it swole up.

Default UL Pillow

Last edited by Foresight; 06-20-2014 at 04:03. Reason: added pic

Quote Originally Posted by lynn523 View Post
    I recently bought a cheap $2 beach ball (weighs just over 2 oz) and have been experimenting with it as a pillow at various levels of inflation. (just stuff it in a shirt to avoid sleeping on plastic. It works really well on my side - much better than anything else I've tried. The only drawback is that I need it to be inflated more for side sleeping and less for sleeping on my stomach. (Those of you who can sleep on their back are really lucky!). Now I'm planning to try experimenting with a cheap kids swim ring. I'm thinking that I could partially inflate it to a comfortable level for stomach sleeping and just double it over when I want more height to sleep on my side.
    I'm similar, except I use modified children's water wings. Got the idea from a Whiteblaze poster years ago. Works great in a stuff sack along with any spare clothes.

Default UL Pillow

That's great to know, daddytwosticks. The water wings were going to be my third experiment after the swim ring. Maybe I'll try those next instead. You mentioned they're modified. How so?

Quote Originally Posted by lynn523 View Post
    That's great to know, daddytwosticks. The water wings were going to be my third experiment after the swim ring. Maybe I'll try those next instead. You mentioned they're modified. How so?
    Each one is cut in half. There is a section of the float that does not contain air when inflated. Just cut in half there. I lay both flat in my sleeping bag stuff sack. Toss in some spare cloths on top of the water wings to make it a bit fluffy. The water wings have a natural dip in the middle of the pillow when set up this way that comfortably cradles the head. Wish I could remember who here on Whiteblaze to credit with this idea.

Default UL Pillow

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a try!

I haven't had a chance to throw it on a scale but the Rei Flash pillow is a smaller version on the exped (it is made by exped) and it weighs 1.5 Oz from manufacturer specs.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

UL...it would be lighter w/o a pillow! But, HYOH

I use a one liter platypus half filled with water and wrapped in puffy jacket. They are both then stuffed into a 12" x 6" pillowcase.

Works great in summer (temps down to mid 40's), but I haven't tried it in colder temps. Water is nice and warm for cleaning up with in the AM.

I go multi-purpose by using my Jacks-r-Better down sleeves. They weigh 3 oz and also can be used as sleeves, or padding on any cold spot. Here is my video which shows them. This was for a shoulder season trip between 25 lows and 70 highs for any day.

http://youtu.be/J-Tg_DSY-eo
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++