WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Suggestions for electronics to take into the backcountry for note taking

What is a good electric journaling device you have found for something like 5 days out w/o recharge (except from carried battery packs)? To be used daily and record the day's activities?

Factors (not in any order) are ease of use, battery life (including carrying extra batteries), weight, durability, compatibility with 'office' type programs or easy transfer to them.

Not for a thru hike, not going to do the big thru hike miles.

Thanks

I think a cell phone kept on airplane mode is probably the best thing out right now. Years ago there was the Palm Pilot craze, but that passed when cell phones surpassed their capabilities. I bet you could track down an old PP for peanuts if you really wanted to.

I recently got my first smartphone, a Moto G, and I'm experimenting with the voice to text feature in the Evernote app to see if I'm comfortable leaving my small notebook behind. I'm on the fence for now. Voice to text works ok but I'm not sure I want to dictate my journal, and the process isn't perfected yet. I find typing on a smartphone to be tedious and it interferes with what I'm actually trying to do... Record the days events...
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I think pen and paper still have the upper hand here. I need to buy a small hiking journal.

Images

I also like pen and paper. But a smartphone on airplane mode will last at least 4 or 5 days if it's only operated for small periods of time per day. A small tablet, like an iPad mini, should have much longer battery life than a phone.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Pen and paper cause unneeded and undesired duplication of the document off trail. I want to get it done once and the final form is electronic, so I want to go direct to electronic.

Images

One option to fill your request would be a smartphone. You have phone, gps, mp3, journal and voice record, hiking apps, etc, etc.... Easy to upload during or after hike.

smart phone. take an extra battery on two. That will curtianly take you through 5days.

Journal Entries

I plan to use paper and pen on the trail then edit, spell and grammar check my document when I get home. Not saying I am perfect, but I see a lot of misuse of their and there, as well as many others. By using pen and paper it may jog my memory to add something else the happened on that day.
    Blackheart

Oh gosh. Remember when the device of choice was Pocketmail?!?

I use my iPhone and I keep it on airplane mode. I also bring an external battery pack that will replenish my phone for at least a week, assuming it's kept on airplane mode for most of that time.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

My smartphone (iPhone 5) did everything I would want it to do. I would even dictate to "Voice Memos" while on the fly so I wouldn't forget to mention something when I did my journal later.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Pen and paper cause unneeded and undesired duplication of the document off trail. I want to get it done once and the final form is electronic, so I want to go direct to electronic.
    Compare the aggravation of typing anything of substantial length on a tiny touch pad to that of retyping and editing from a paper journal. For me, paper wins.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

He asked for "electronics" in the freaking thread title. I'm just surprised no one has suggested a "hammock"...................
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Compare the aggravation of typing anything of substantial length on a tiny touch pad to that of retyping and editing from a paper journal. For me, paper wins.
    +1....................
    Blackheart

Images

Have you not seen youngsters swyping? Yikes, they are fast. Faster than I can print, I swear. Not that this has anything to do whatsoever with the original question, which asked about which electronics to use. Sigh.

So sure, simply use a smart phone. Why carry anything extra if you've got a phone anyway? Taking e-notes is great; when you get home, all ready for download to e-journals or whatever.

(again, not that it has anything to do with the original question, but WHY carry a notepad, even at only a few ounces if you're carrying a phone anyway??????).

Journal Entries
    Images

Waiting for the inevitable "why are you wasting your time typing or writing a journal when you should be enjoying the hike and the views and not bringing doggone electronics out here on the trail and by the way hike my hike".

My vote goes for leaving your phone on airplane mode. Grab a Radio Shack battery pack- mine is a 4000mAh & I got 3-4 charges out of it for my Galaxy S3.

i may try the Evernote deal. Always had it, never used it. Believe it or not, my phone is way easier to type on than my iPad. Go figure.

Journal Entries
    Images

I hate to break it to ya - if there is a 3g or 4g tower... he talks and it types... Thank's Siri! or any other voice recognition... works pretty good so long as you can keep talking and not stop.

Ahhh Dictation without the costs...

Ok for you old farts like me...

This is mind blowing as the upgrades are already in the phone

http:<<<Click there.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 05-30-2014 at 20:11.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

...I'd bring a hammock

Images

Option to carrying multiple batteries... http://www.newtrent.com/store/extern...ak-nt135t.html

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...I'd bring a hammock

There is something seriously wrong with you and ...te he... I like it.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++