WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Default Where have you hiked abroad?

Most of us are familiar with the trails in the U.S.A (and some in Canada) but I was wondering where you have hiked over seas and what was your experience with it?

I'll start off.......

I've only hiked for a few months now, but I actually went to Puerto Rico for the past 2 novembers for my 29th and 30th birthday. In Puerto Rico there is 'Americas' only rain forest. I was with friends and we didnt expect to hike when we showed up, but I did a good 10 miles on a 90 year old brick trail in the forest along a river leading to a water fall. The trip only took a few hours, but it was incredible.

I belive there was about 60 miles of trails there. But we only did 10, because it was a spur of the moment thing. But If I go back, I'll be sure to take a pack with me and stay out much longer.

It was only considered a day hike, But still the best/first hike I ever did.

Where have you "hiked" over seas?

feel free to post pics and describe your hike.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

I hiked the trails around Masada in Israel rather than taking the touristy cable car. It was just a few miles.

http://masada.org.il/en
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

I dont rememeber which members it was, but I seem to remember seeing that some forum members did Ireland, Australia, etc.

I've done 3 inn-to-inn hikes in Western Ireland - tantmount to slackpacking, but staying in B&Bs rather than camping. Also have done day hiking in England's Cottswolds and Lake District.

[QUOTE=Ricky&Jack;1883242]Most of us are familiar with the trails in the U.S.A (and some in Canada) but I was wondering where you have hiked over seas and what was your experience with it?

I'll start off.......

I've only hiked for a few months now, but I actually went to Puerto Rico for the past 2 novembers for my 29th and 30th birthday. In Puerto Rico there is 'Americas' only rain forest. I was with friends and we didnt expect to hike when we showed up, but I did a good 10 miles on a 90 year old brick trail in the forest along a river leading to a water fall. The trip only took a few hours, but it was incredible.

Sorry to be anal, but Puerto Rico is not abroad. Its part of America.

Journal Entries
    Images

Snowdon - England. Maui Hawaii, Algonquin Canada, Mexico, New Zealand, Wales, Good memories.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Olympic National Park has mid-latitude rain forest. Sorry, it is the Geography major in me coming out.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Lots:
    Ireland
    Pyrenees (HRP from Atlantic to Mediterrainian)
    Switzerland (Climbed the Schilthorn and much around there)
    Poland (border of Czech and POland)
    Tibet (twice, once near the Nepal border, once around Shigatze)
    Nepal (7 or 8 times, my friends want to go back, maybe next year)
    Thailand (a few national parks in the north but mostly, in Phuket, where I designed a 100 mile trail through the jungle, took me 6 years)
    Indonesia: a few places, including Bali and a short hike around Komodo island
    Australia: Some at Kakadu NP, Kings Canyon, climbed Ayers rock, as well as a short hike in the Blue Mtns near Sydney. (Going back this year with my son)
    Japan: Climbed Mt Fuji, but it was April and didn't make the top, too much snow
    Scotland: Did some day hikes around Ben Nevis as well as Loch Ness and another Loch, (don't remember the name now)
    Borneo: climbed Mt Kinabalu last year. (officially this is in the Malaysian part of Borneo)
    Hopefully heading to Cambodia this year. I'll know better next week.
    Peru: Inca trail as well as a lot of other hikes in that area and a hike in the Andes about 100 miles away from there (forget the name)
    Bolivia: mostly a log-raft trip but, we did a hike in the jungle down in the headwaters to the Amazon.

Life is Priorities!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

The Jesus Trail in Israel. www.jesustrail.com

reverse chrononological order...

Several day hikes on the Coastal Path in southern England with my wife.
    Short afternoon hike through woods in Japan while on a business trip.

These next four long long ago...
    An overnight in Switzerland near Zermatt, approach trail to the Matterhorn.
    Climbed Mt. Vesuvius (Pompei, Italiy) spent night camped near the rim.
    Hiked down a wadi from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea.
    Day hikes in Austria with my Dad -- locations long forgotten, some pictures remain.

Images

[QUOTE=Yankytyke;1883271]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Sorry to be anal, but Puerto Rico is not abroad. Its part of America.
    So why be anal...
    Actually you're incorrect...any area outside the lower 48 (CONUS - Continental United States) is considered OCONUS (Outside Continental US) therefore Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii are considered overseas (OCONUS) although each of them are states of the USA...
    I've worked as a defense contractor for the military in all 3 of these states and they are considered OCONUS as my per diem reflected...

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

yeah, i just didnt wanna argue with him, lol.

You dont go thru customs to get to PR, but you have to go thru customs on the way back. (just like you are able to cross into mexico fine, but need proper ID to come back into america)

I've spent enough time in Puerto Rico to know that the only 2 things 'American' about it is the money, and the postal service.

Why try to rain on my parade? Besides, I asked in the title "what places abroad have YOU been to".

1 point me. I win

Images

You dont go thru customs to get to PR, but you have to go thru customs on the way back. (just like you are able to cross into mexico fine, but need proper ID to come back into america)

I've spent enough time in Puerto Rico to know that the only 2 things 'American' about it is the money, and the postal service.

Why try to rain on my parade? Besides, I asked in the title "what places abroad have YOU been to".

1 point me. I win
    I guess I could stand for correction myself... Is Puerto Rico the 51 state of the 57 we supposedly have?...lol
    I believe it is considered a commonwealth so to speak controlled by the USA, still OCONUS though

Images

Well, I've only been abroad to climb mountains, but fixin' to change that soon.

I've climbed in Argentina, Ecuador, Mexico, France, Italy, Switzerland, Russia, Tanzania and Iceland. I really want to do some serious hiking in Scotland. We're booked for an Australia trip spending a good bit of time in Tasmania.

Lots to see out there!

Since I'm from abroad, I have only hiked overseas , although my 2016 AT-attempt will change that.
    But the things I did were:
    Pembrokeshire coastpath (Wales)
    Transardenaise (Belgium)
    Tiger leaping gorge (Yunnan province in China)

And currently planning:
    The W-circuit (Patagonia) next April
    AT (2016)

Images

New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Argentina, Scotland. Going back to Scotland in August to do the West Highland Way, and to France Aug 2015 to do the Camino Frances.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Milford and Routeburn Tracks in NZ, I did the high end guided but would love to go do it unguided and whole lot of other trails in Southern NZ.

Images

sweet! I hiked el yunque on my honeymoon. Up to the towers. Thanks for the pics. good memories.
    See ya when I get there.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soulrebel View Post
    sweet! I hiked el yunque on my honeymoon. Up to the towers. Thanks for the pics. good memories.
    when he 'hiked' it, we parked one lot above the falls, and then walked the trail to the falls..... and then hauled a$$ back up to the car because we didnt originally plan to 'hike'. we just wanted to see the rain forest on our way to Fajardo to take the ferry to Vieques island. By the time we got to the falls, we had 2hours to get back and find the ferry docks before the last boat for the night left.

Sorry it just bother me that people think Puerto Rico, Hawaii etc are abroad, when they are very much part of the U.S. If you had to go through customs I would ask why? It is not a requirement.
    To answer your question.
    Hiked in Russia, Romania (up a mountain in the Carpathian range) & the UK (I was born & raised there, so its not exciting)

1 point me. I win

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++