WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking - Denver area

I am considering driving to Denver, rather than flying. Any recommendations on long term parking. We plan to start the trail on June 26 and finish the first week of Aug. Preferably free, but would be willing to pay a reasonable fee.
    Last edited by Nooga; 06-06-2014 at 12:35.

For others that may be interested, I found an RV storage facility (Sedalia RV Storage) that charges $38 / month. Starting June 26 and finishing the first week of Aug they would charge 2 months = $76. Their number is 303-688-3842.

Garlic
    Images

I just looked up RTD's parking rates and it's $4/day for out-of-district. More expensive, but maybe more convenient transport to the trailhead.

If you're a member of the CTF, ask them for their shuttlers list. Maybe someone could help. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town in your time frame.

Your choice may depend partly on how secure you'd like your car to be, and how much you like it. I've had cars I'd have no qualms about just leaving at a trailhead for a month or two. Since it's your long ride home, I can understand you'd want it more secure than that.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Sedalia is reasonably close to the trailhead. I believe I'm giving 32ozgatorade a ride to the t/h on June 26th; let me know if you need a ride yourself, Nooga, from that storage lot to the trailhead. I think I'm dropping off 32oz pretty early, after that, I could come get you.

Colorado, thanks for the offer. The RV storage has offered to give us a ride to the trailhead.

Does anybody have any experience leaving a car at the Waterton trailhead?

I understand there may be certain risks involved, but I would be curious to hear any anecdotal or on-the-ground advice from people familiar with the area etc. Thanks!

Also, does the Sedalia RV Storage offer a covered roof for parked cars?

Waterton is a high volume trailhead. I would think your vehicle would be safe. But, they do say that there have been occurrences of vandalism.

Check out Mags CT End to Enders Guide on leaving a vehicle at Waterton TH. IMHO, it seemed safe to me. I'd leave my vehicle there. http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2Leaving A Car at Waterton Canyon

I’ve been asked about leaving a car at Waterton Canyon. Waterton Canyon is a very busy trailhead with a lot of parking space. There trailhead is also on a busy road. It should be safe. But nothing is 100%!
    Thanks to Justin “Chewy” Edge for forwarding this info from The Colorado Trail Foundation:
    Yes, it’s fine to leave your car in the parking lot. Here’s the info we have as of late 2005:
    Michelle at Waterton Canyon would like people to call 303-979-4129 and give them the make of the car, license plate, etc. so that they know the car has not been abandoned. They can leave cars there while thru-hiking the CT. Common sense would advise against leaving any valuables in your car for an extended period of time. The Waterboard is not responsible for your vehicle.
    Another option is the Sedalia RV storage listed earlier.

Thanks, Dogwood. I read the End-to-End guide, but as the anecdote there was from 9 years ago, I am curious if there are any more recent perspectives on the issue. I will give Waterton a call next week. The more opinions the better. I generally have fairly great faith in humanity, and the car is paid off and insured, so I am open to the idea.

Of course, if any trail angels in denver have a place with space to leave a parked car for one month from mid-july to mid-august, that would be too awesome.

++ New Posts ++