WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: men in skirts

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    You could even go as far as a kilt must be wool & plaid.
    It's pretty amazing how well made a top end kilt is made.
    look it up sometime.

There will be NO looking up the kilt!

I am a gal and have been thinking of switching to a hiking skirt, as it seems like it would be easier to "do my buisness" and would be cooler in the summer. slbirdnerd does the rubbing of the fabric on your legs chafe ? I usually wear a leotard type short so it does not rub my legs at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarr View Post
    There will be NO looking up the kilt!
    The original kilts were made from about 9 yards of wool which was the folded accordion style, held with a belt and served many purposes such as a sleeping blanket, cape or throw in cold weather. Very ingenious design.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Co-incidentally-
    I just came home to find my wife took a picture of me wearing my skirt to go grocery shopping with my son and posted it to facebook.

I put together a rough draft of the pattern and it is being tested by another WB'er at the moment. Happy to share the preliminary version with anyone who wants to test it and make their own. Once I get some feedback (and time) I was going to write up a guide for it.

2oz in men's large, two big pockets. adjustable length (knee length for standard trail, mid thigh for when it's "big girl time" and the trail is steep)
    Dries in about 15 minutes while worn.

Not sure how popular, but the popularity/practicality of it seems to make it a popular topic at least.

how do you do adjustable length ? Comfort ? chaffing ?

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Co-incidentally-
    I just came home to find my wife took a picture of me wearing my skirt to go grocery shopping with my son and posted it to facebook.

I put together a rough draft of the pattern and it is being tested by another WB'er at the moment. Happy to share the preliminary version with anyone who wants to test it and make their own. Once I get some feedback (and time) I was going to write up a guide for it.

2oz in men's large, two big pockets. adjustable length (knee length for standard trail, mid thigh for when it's "big girl time" and the trail is steep)
    Dries in about 15 minutes while worn.

Not sure how popular, but the popularity/practicality of it seems to make it a popular topic at least.
    I want to see the FB pic!

On a more practical note....what's the approach to tick protection? Having to slather oneself in deet would reduce the coolness benefit I imagine, but would be vital to keep the little buggers from their "warmest places" objective.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Just ordered one, thanks

Images

I have "gone both ways". Wore hiking pants on my last hike due to the risk of COLD weather, which happened. Made a good decision.

In hotter weather to me a kilt rules, tons more air flow. Can go commando. Easy and fast to wash up near streams.

A negative to a kilt (Ekommando) is that in the rain when you have to pack it, they are HEAVY and bulky.

The original style kilt was 9 yds of wool pleated a certain way then wrapped around and held in place with a belt.
    so who needs a rain skirt if you can just fold your tarp to about 20-25 inches a few folds in the waist to provide hiking room at the hem.
    a belt and you would have a true rain kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I want to see the FB pic!

On a more practical note....what's the approach to tick protection? Having to slather oneself in deet would reduce the coolness benefit I imagine, but would be vital to keep the little buggers from their "warmest places" objective.
    Ticks- Same steps as if wearing shorts- no different. I wear taller socks or gaiters in bad areas either way, also deet around my thighs just above the knee if it's real bad.

Not savvy enough to share her post (think you have to be a member/friend anyway)- screen shot of the pic-No Deet required to take the boy to the grocery store.skirt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    how do you do adjustable length ? Comfort ? chaffing ?
    Adjustable length- A horribly complicated system of two buttons on the pockets and matching button holes on the hem, when it's big girl time just pull the front up and button- takes it to mid-thigh for steep sections of trail or when working bachlorette parties for beer money in town. Not as innovative as the adjustable women's skirt popular with some

Comfort- like wearing nothing- if you're comfortable with that. Or if you wear undies; like walking around in your underwear without getting arrested.

Chaffing- see comfort.

I made a kilt out of tyvek and have taken it on a few trips. it isn't the "Great Kilt" style that wraps over your shoulder, but more of one that is pleated around your waist.

I wish Tyvek came in different colors.

I will post a picture once I get home.

does anyone make an ultralight sporran?
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    does anyone make an ultralight sporran?
    Had to look that up- http://sportkilt.com/category/220/Sporrans.html
    Good god though- why would you want to mount a hunk of metal and leather to bounce on your shakey snake as you walked? Let alone what all those tassels would do.

Nothing wrong with the occasional bitter red ale- but this seems excessive

kilt.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    I made a kilt out of tyvek and have taken it on a few trips. it isn't the "Great Kilt" style that wraps over your shoulder, but more of one that is pleated around your waist.

I wish Tyvek came in different colors.

I will post a picture once I get home.
    Turns out I had it on my thumb drive

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Ticks- Same steps as if wearing shorts- no different. I wear taller socks or gaiters in bad areas either way, also deet around my thighs just above the knee if it's real bad.

Not savvy enough to share her post (think you have to be a member/friend anyway)- screen shot of the pic-No Deet required to take the boy to the grocery store.skirt.jpg
    Is the back pleated?

I think the traditional purpose is to provide a pocket and some modesty. It rides below the Mr. Bill, I believe.

I suppose it's nothing that couldn't be rigged up with a zpacks hip belt pocket and some shock cord. AND, for maximum cyberhiker points you could use the old SUL trick and count it as "worn" rather than against your baseweight. :P
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    kilt.JPG

Turns out I had it on my thumb drive
    That'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey_snake View Post
    I think the traditional purpose is to provide a pocket and some modesty. It rides below the Mr. Bill, I believe.

I suppose it's nothing that couldn't be rigged up with a zpacks hip belt pocket and some shock cord. AND, for maximum cyberhiker points you could use the old SUL trick and count it as "worn" rather than against your baseweight. :P
    LOL, Socks and I were just discussing modesty problems should a merino version be used- perhaps you are onto something.

Yerbyray- If you wound it around you once and a half (or so) you could dual purpose your tyvek kilt/cowboy camp groundcloth- that'd be very Scottish of you without going overboard.
    Tyvek has got to get clammy though? I gave up on M50 (DWR coated fabric) for that reason even though it's lighter- I find the regular uncoated ripstop to be the most comfy.

Socks- No pleats- Just a Skirt.
    Pockets are on your thighs rather than sides- the big hipbelt bags on my pack would prevent pocket use otherwise. Although when walking about the only thing that goes in them is daily trash.
    Big enough to hold my Kindle though for cyberhiking

Well, I know this is a kilt thread....but I ain't real big on rules, so, here goes.

Been thinking about turning(cutting) my rain pants into rain shorts, and sewing in some Velcro at the bottoms so I could re-afix the legs like conversion pants. Reason is I mainly use em in warm weather, but would like to still be able to use in just above freezing temps if need be. Now having said all that, my second thought was if I'm gonna go through all that, then why not just use a rain skirt/kilt...and so I'm following the thread with baited pole and sporran.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++