WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Curious, what is it that has contaminated the water?
    It's part of the long sad legacy of the building of the Cherohala Skyway aka Scarway aka Screamway, now used as a loud motorcycle racetrack cutting thru the last unbroken mountains of the Cherokee NF wilderness. Anyway, the dynamite and bulldozers polluted creeks with iron pyrite, a leaching acid. See---

http://books.google.com/books?id=7WZ...pyrite&f=false

Tipi,

nah, Kevin and I live on different schedules and prefer different amounts of trudging. I've been waking up by at least 6AM for the last 25 years and like to get up and going. Kevin gets going a little later. I'd been corresponding with him on the internet for a long time and finally decided to go meet him. He had already planned the Brookshire trip starting from Tellico River road so I planned a larger loop incorporating his route so we could camp together ….I can’t remember your name for the site but it’s the largest site on the Brookshire with a stone fire ring. You and I started from there a few years ago when we left from that site and went up Sugar mountain to camp in the turn-around.

Yeah that contaminated water sign was funny because I had just guzzled about a liter of it (filtered) when I came to that sign.

There was orange flagging tape marking the switchback I missed but on first pass I thought it was just marking the main trail and thought “cool, I’m still on the right route” only to have the trail end in impassable undergrowth a quarter mile later. I crossed the creek and carefully surveyed the other side for any sign of a path (to no avail) before cursing out loud and entertaining thoughts of messaging my wife to let her know I might have to be out another unplanned night (and would she please call my boss and let him know what was up…ughhh). I finally calmed down, got over it and backtracked to a point I knew was right and tried again. The second time I looked more carefully and realized the path switched back on an old roadbed and picked up those white blazes which I thankfully followed on up and out. Shame on me for not bringing a better map: that TS 781 map is such a large scale it’s nearly useless for actual navigation. But on the other hand who would have thought they needed a map for a four mile trail? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's part of the long sad legacy of the building of the Cherohala Skyway aka Scarway aka Screamway, now used as a loud motorcycle racetrack cutting thru the last unbroken mountains of the Cherokee NF wilderness. Anyway, the dynamite and bulldozers polluted creeks with iron pyrite, a leaching acid. See---

http://books.google.com/books?id=7WZ...pyrite&f=false
    ah...well that ain't good!

"Susie was in my chemistry class, she isn't anymore
    she drank what she thought was H20, but was H2s04"

I also see now what you meant by motorcycle noise and your decision the hike in another direction in your trip report.

Hey thanks for the kind words Rocketsocks! Now I'm not quite in the same category as my friend Tipi in regards to packing tendencies, but I'm not UL either.

Rocketsocks....I just said it outloud by myself here at the computer, yeah .....I like that and Ill say it again.....Rocketsocks.

Rolls off the tongue and makes me happy all at the same time. Nice handle!

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    Hey thanks for the kind words Rocketsocks! Now I'm not quite in the same category as my friend Tipi in regards to packing tendencies, but I'm not UL either.

Rocketsocks....I just said it outloud by myself here at the computer, yeah .....I like that and Ill say it again.....Rocketsocks.

Rolls off the tongue and makes me happy all at the same time. Nice handle!
    Ha, that's funny, I was thinkin the same about Patman...it flows. Nice videos, you have that documentary type voice.
    keep em comin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++