WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A question for you solo BMT hikers.

Background - I just ended a 12 day trip (Erwin to HS on AT, Tapoco to Thunder Rock CG on the BMT). was going to get to Springer but had to end the trip due to family reasons. Left Tapoco last Sunday afternoon, arrived into Ducktown Friday afternoon and arrived home yesterday afternoon.

During the BMT trip I did not see another person for the duration of the trip. Of course cell service was nonexistent until a mile or two before Hwy 64 and at this time of the year, the trail is rather overgrown in places (The mile or so from Unicoi Gap to the next FS road was particularly bad). Given all that, I was particularly concerned about venomous snakes (then I saw tipi's picture in the post below). I paid attention to my footing and usually probed the various blowdowns with my poles before crossing.

which leads to my question - when solo hiking on the BMT (or equivalent trails) is it prudent to carry a device like 'the spot"? Do you? How would you deal with an emergency in the Joyce Kilmer wilderness?

Mind you, I have thru hiked the AT and done several long section hikes since (one involved the BMT in the GSMNP). I am not uncomfortable at all hiking solo but after this last section I am giving this some consideration. I hope to complete the last part (thunder Rock to Springer) later this summer or early fall. thanks for any feedback.

They say people pack for their fears, but not all fear is irrational. Although I don't hike with one, I don't see any reason not to carry a SPOT if it makes you or your family feel better.

Not sure of the picture you're referring to but these are the buddies I saw on my last swaray on the BMT between Reliance and Thunder Rock/Hiway 64----

I saw this guy at Thunder Rock where the BMT leaves the campground and starts up the mountain.

I saw this rattlesnake in the Little Frog wilderness and right on the BMT along Dry Pond Lead.

Same guy on the BMT/Little Frog wilderness.

Saw this guy on the BMT as it passes thru the "forbidden zone" on the Hiwassee River approaching Childers Creek.

It's a jungle out there, folks. Do I carry a cellphone? Yes, with spotty service. Do I carry a spot? Heck no. But it's up to you. What could it hurt?

Like TipiWalker, I carry a cellphone in places like this, well aware that I may not have service. I also have a "sign-out", someone not hiking whom I call when I can and knows my approximate schedule, what I'm carrying, and when to NOT raise the alarm. (In general, parents are not good at this last part.) By contacting the person when you can, you have a shorter time frame for when someone will come looking, as they will be expecting a call when you reach various resupply points, as well as much smaller search area, should one be required. At a minimum, they should know to contact someone at the resupply points to see if you've picked up your mail at the post office. The trick is to find someone with hiking experience who won't panic if you don't show up. Carry a spare's days worth of food, know basic wilderness first-aid, take a stove to help ward of hypothermia, carry a map and know how to use to find the closest road or possible ways around washed out bridges, and think twice about relying on non-waterproof down or using only a tarp for shelter. If anything happens, you may have to wait a few days for a rescue; if your problem isn't critical, can you survive that long alone? You'll never be prepared for everything, but balance what you can prepare for, such as a broken leg against the things you can't such a tornado (where having company or shelter in a town might not help).

As an example, when I hiked the AT, it took me 5 days to get to Neels Gap (which had none of the standard luxuries like running water, electricity, or phone at the time) and I was lucky to gain access to a functioning phone in a nearby town that same day. I was not solo, but the two of us had gone 48 hours without seeing anyone and the weather was brutal. My sign-out had checked our gear and decided not to raise an alarm for a couple more days, realizing that even if we were hurt or stranded, there was nothing that could be done at that time (all helicopters were still working on getting to people who weren't prepared for the loss of power, etc, such as the elderly or oxygen dependent that were stranded in houses.) Had we not made it in, we would have only had to wait about 5 days until the search helicopters began to search for stranded hikers. Had we not had the gear to survive in the cold that long, we could have died or lost fingers or toes. As it was, I don't believe any AT hikers were hurt, though several were flown out due to the snow depth (mostly in GSMP, which was closed). Had I not gotten access to a phone, hopefully my sign out would have called someone who could have gone to Neels Gap to check and see if any hikers matching our description had passed through.
    As long as you have a sign-out person, you'll only have to wait for a rescue for as long as it takes until they call someone and the circumstances permit the searchers to safely begin searching for you. Make sure you can survive the likely problems for a few days, don't worry about the others (tornado, etc) and enjoy the solitude!

Images

I don't worry and I don't carry a SPOT. I do have a phone and check in when possible. I've seen lots of snakes and I'm sure there have been lots more I never saw like the one my son said I stepped beside last week. I guess it just doesn't bother me.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I carried a SPOT on my BMT thru, mainly to give my wife peace of mind. And also for the knowledge that if I became incapacitated on some parts of the BMT it could be days before someone happened along (vs. hours on the AT, usually). Of course the SPOT is not 100% effective either - causing my wife to have to fight the instant urge to "call the authorities". Sigh. In hindsight, I should have made the spacing between my check-ins longer, to reduce the expectation on her part.

I would say the SPOT proved to be 90-95% effective on getting a signal out, on the 3-week hike. I was hiking with my son, and he became injured during the first week. The custom "come pick us up" message worked perfectly from the trail. By the time we made to a ranger station and a real phone, she was already half way to us.

The largest gap in cell phone service was from Newton Bald (SOBO, just south of Smokemont in the Smokies) to Little Frog/Dry Pond Lead, just north of Hwy 64. That was a 10 day stretch without the ability to check in with home base. Daunting for some and a respite for others. There is a pay phone at Deal's Gap, and probably somewhere in Reliance, although I did not search around for one. Pay phones are becoming a rare thing. I was surprised, in fact, that there was no signal at Reliance, considering the level of "civilization".

As for snakes - this was one of my biggest fears too, when I first started considering the BMT, versus the populated AT. I took a 2-day NOLS first aid class, and they spent about 5 minutes on snake bites. Basically there is nothing more you can do but get to help/civilization as quickly as possible. To that end I always try to stay aware of the shortest route to a paved road, and when I have crossed the half way points between keep-going and go-back.

I was all excited about my planned NOBO BMT section hike. Now you show me pictures of snakes. Next you are going to tell me there are bears. Two things I have convinced myself do not exist while hiking. I just posted a thread about Section hiking BMT next year too. That excitement just took a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I was all excited about my planned NOBO BMT section hike. Now you show me pictures of snakes. Next you are going to tell me there are bears. Two things I have convinced myself do not exist while hiking. I just posted a thread about Section hiking BMT next year too. That excitement just took a hit.
    Hey, what are friends for you'll be fine, they really don't go round looking to trick or murder us in our sleep, common sense will see ya through, like paying attention on a off trail pee break, watching where you put your hands while collecting fire wood, not cooking a lb. of bacon and putting the greasy pan under your pillow, stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I hike for hikin'
    I like the quote. The hike itself is enough reason to be up there. Although, like everyone else, i enjoy a summit.

I am an inattentive hiker so a solo hike does not sound appealing on a section hike. I solo day hike just about every time I can get away from life.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I like the quote. The hike itself is enough reason to be up there. Although, like everyone else, i enjoy a summit.

I am an inattentive hiker so a solo hike does not sound appealing on a section hike. I solo day hike just about every time I can get away from life.
    good deal, and thanks to the fold.

Sounds like you're letting your mind race off to the worst case scenario regarding possible experiences with venomous snakes on the BMT. Take a locating beacon like a SPOT if you feel you must but how about applying some backwoods common sense(some would say wisdom or knowledge) first and foremost? To begin with know the venomous snakes on your hike! That not only includes being able to identify them CLEARLY(some non venomous snakes closely resemble their venomous cousins) but also the types of behaviors they tend to exhibit, where they are most likely to be found, understanding the situations how humans mostly receive venomous bites by these snakes, when and where these snakes tend to be most active, etc. There are only four venomous snakes in the U.S. - Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and Coral. There are species and subspecies of these. The BMT is home to all but the Coral snake from what I understand. YES, some sections of the BMT can get a bit overgrown if trail crews haven't given that section some recent attention but it usually doesn't last that long. Besides, you might look at it and the lack of crowds as a positive in terms of solitude, adventure, and an overall rather clean of garbage rather unbeaten down more of a backwoods trail experience. Trail pants(convertibles can work too for varying trail conditions) may help not only navigating overgrown with briars BMT sections but also provide some protection from venomous snake strikes. There are gaiters that can be worn that help with both situations too. I like the Schoeller fabric gaiters for this on the BMT but there are specific snake guard gaiters too. WATCH where you are walking especially on overgrown trail. I used a short tree branch to probe ahead and push vegetation out of my way when needed - Eventually(Read on). BE ALERT! Be careful when wandering off trail. Be careful when reaching over downed trees, trees stumps, boulders etc when say gathering firewood. It's best to avoid doing that. Be mindful where you sit down especially if on a ledge where snakes may be sunning/warming themselves below you, in rock crevices, lying atop rocks below and next to you, etc. Don't get into that mindless gotta go gotta go gotta be somewhere else hiking mentality especially w/ headphones in listening loadly to jams blasting your way through overgrown trail like an elephant on the rampage like I did!. This is unwise even if there weren't venomous snakes, wild hogs, black bears, etc on the BMT. I did that on my BMT/AT Loop hike and almost stepped on two very surprised, felling threatened BY ME, and ready to strike rattlesnakes and one Copperhead. I knew better too! It's easy to surprise bears like this too. I realized I had those close calls NOT because of the snakes but primarily because of my la dee dah dumb diddy doo absent minded human behavior. I adjusted my human behavior after I experienced the second close call while very nearly stepping on that second very large feeling threatened rattlesnake. From then on saw three other Rattlesnakes, two other Copperheads, and several Cottonmouths(all at the road/trail bridge crossing at Round Bottom in GSMNP sunning themselves on the rip rap) ALL from a safe distance on my BMT/AT Loop last late spring-early summer. As far as those close encounters I froze or moved quickly backwards(Don't know if that's what you are supposed to do though!). The snakes all began feeling less threatened. I gave them a wide berth and went on my way. After that second rattler encounter I started THINKING what I needed to do better and doing it!

Sorry for the lack of paragraph breaks. Once again the computer I'm using has been reset.

++ New Posts ++