WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Question about air travel

Anyone have experience with airlines and transporting your gear? I specifically want to know if it is allowed to pack a stove in the checked bag. I know they don't allow fuel... Any suggestions about packing gear for airline travel would also be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by FL Grandma View Post
    Anyone have experience with airlines and transporting your gear? I specifically want to know if it is allowed to pack a stove in the checked bag. I know they don't allow fuel... Any suggestions about packing gear for airline travel would also be appreciated.
    I use my pack as my carry-on luggage and put everything in it that TSA will allow, which would include a stove that has no fuel. Things that TSA won't allow I either purchase after arriving at my destination (eg. alcohol fuel), put into checked luggage, or ship to myself (P.O. or UPS store) at my destination. When I really want to take fuel with me on a plane, I have been successful with Esbit on a number of occasions (100% success so far). I have called TSA on the phone to ask about Esbit (TSA is not familiar with it), and been told it is allowed on a plane (What is Esbit? "You can light it and use it to warm up food like a candle") or that it is not allowed (What is Esbit? "It is stove fuel"). You can take your chances. When I have taken it in carry-on or checked luggage, I have double-bagged it with my heat sealer.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by FL Grandma View Post
    I put my Jet Boil in checked baggage all the time. Most of the time, I wrap it in aluminum foil, but sometimes I don't. There has never been a problem.

That being said, one time I overlooked canister of fuel and left it in my bag. TSA didn't catch it.
    Shutterbug

White gas stoves are another matter. The airlines will not allow them, and TSA supports this.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Depends on the airline. Now, what they say, and what they do, and what TSA does, are 3 totally different things.
    Do you feel lucky?

From United Airlines website:" Lanterns, stoves and heating equipment which use liquid fuel, propane, butane or similar will not be accepted as baggage in accordance with dangerous goods regulations."

GA-ME 2011
    Images

TSA has all the info you need:
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ibited-items#5

I put my pack in a large duffle bag. I also pack a USPS large box and tape to ship the duffle back home.
    Place hiking poles inside the duffle wrapped in cardboard or a foam sleeping pad to prevent breakage.
    I have the duffle sent to me at the end of the trip to send the pack back in. If not practical I buy a laundry bag to ship the pack in.
    If using a laundry bag tie shut, tuck string in, tape top shut. You don't want the string hanging up.

I have packed white gas stoves and bottles that have absolutely no smell of gas in them.
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/camping-gear
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I've flown with my gear about a dozen times with no problem. As described above, I put most of my gear in a large canvas duffle bag and check it. You can't bring fuel, but I have never had a problem with either my jetboil stove or my pocket rocket. The one added responsibility is that I have to find a can of fuel once I get there. Not that big of a deal, but I have sweated flight delays that threatened to make me miss closing time at the outfitters.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

thanks for the help!

++ New Posts ++