WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Smartphone or Tablet

I am planning a 2015 thru hike and want to post on my trail journal. What seems to be the most efficient or convenient means to do this. I read daily posts by 2014 bloggers and was curious about battery life, recharging, ease of entering post, etc. Thanks for any insights.

I think for most people a smart phone is the way to go. It can/will combine camera, gps, journaling device, phone and more. You will be able to charge every few days on the AT.

For journaling, it's not as handy as sitting in front of your PC, but I think it's a reasonable compromise.

You can either conserve enough battery to make it between towns or bring a spare phone battery or an external battery. Solar chargers are not a good choice for the AT.

A smart phone is way better on the trail then a tablet.

1. Smart phone is smaller

2. Smart phone is lighter

3. Smart phone has way more time of use per charge

4. Smart phone is way easier to keep accessible and close at hand so you will actually use it for taking pictures and videos

5. Smart phone can more reliably access the internet then a tablet because of ability to use cell phone network to get online

Also, the tablet doesn't really add any functionality that the phone doesn't already have and it is easier for it to break because of the size of the screen.

Journal Entries
    Images

There is an article in Backpacker magazine on tablets and the trail. Issue March 2014, if you can get a hold of it.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

Tablets have been taken on the trail - they use twice the energy. I get a lot done on a 4 ounce platform. - I suggest a Smart Phone.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Suggest a smart phone and maybe a USB battery pack capable of 1 or 2 phone recharges - all the functionality of a tablet with much less weight and far longer battery life. My personal experience has been much better battery life on iPhones than Android devices. Unless your sticking to WiFi, also consider the carrier. Phones use more power in low signal areas so if you really want to tweak battery life, you're probably better off with Verizon than AT&T on average over the length of the AT.

Cost is another factor. Smart phones and the service plan can be expensive. If you already have one and are locked into a plan, then taking the phone is obviously the way to go.

But if your on a budget, the cost of keeping the phone on the air could be significant. I think one of the least expensive options for a smart phone is the "Straight Talk" with $45/30 day service cards. Less the cost of the phone you need to buy, that would only cost you about $225 for 5 months or $300 for unlimited talk and data. I guess that's not too bad.

But if you don't need a phone (or can get away with a really cheap Trackfone) and can wait until you get to town and find Wi-Fi (pretty easy), a cheap tablet would do. For a smaller, lighter option, you can buy one of the cheap smart phones but don't activate it. Use it like a tablet and use Wi-Fi in town. Personally, I like the 7" tablet because the bigger screen is easier to use. I don't need a smart phone in my off trail life, so the tablet makes more sense for me.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

I recommend the New Trent 11000 mAh power pack. I found one on Amazon for $36 and holds the charge of 3-5 phone batteries, though it is the size and weight of my Samsung Rugby phone. It will charge tablets also.
    All things noble are as rare as they are difficult...​Spinoza

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Cost is another factor. Smart phones and the service plan can be expensive. If you already have one and are locked into a plan, then taking the phone is obviously the way to go.

But if your on a budget, the cost of keeping the phone on the air could be significant. I think one of the least expensive options for a smart phone is the "Straight Talk" with $45/30 day service cards. Less the cost of the phone you need to buy, that would only cost you about $225 for 5 months or $300 for unlimited talk and data. I guess that's not too bad.

But if you don't need a phone (or can get away with a really cheap Trackfone) and can wait until you get to town and find Wi-Fi (pretty easy), a cheap tablet would do. For a smaller, lighter option, you can buy one of the cheap smart phones but don't activate it. Use it like a tablet and use Wi-Fi in town. Personally, I like the 7" tablet because the bigger screen is easier to use. I don't need a smart phone in my off trail life, so the tablet makes more sense for me.
    You make some excellent points my friend. Touche.

++ New Posts ++