WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default JMT hike rain pants question

Dont have dedicated any rain pants yet.

Will those daily wear nylon pants with DWR suffice for this 230 mile hike?
    http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/F...-AC-Cargo-Pant

I carried Dri Duck rain pants on the JMT last year (late August-mid September). I only wore them on one occasion while hiking and a couple of times while in camp. You are not likely to find yourself hiking day after day in rainy conditions but very likely to encounter some rain during the hike. The Dri Duck pants weigh only 4-5 ounces depending on size (and they run very large) and I think are worthwhile insurance for the JMT especially if you intend to hike through any rain storms rather than set up camp and wait out storms. Unlike on the AT in the warmer months, it is somewhat more tolerable to wear Dri Ducks while hiking on the JMT since rain usually brings cooler temperatures.

I'm taking the Dri Ducks on the Colorado Trail this summer where I expect to use them a lot more while hiking. My only reservation is durability.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I carried Dri Duck rain pants on the JMT last year (late August-mid September). I only wore them on one occasion while hiking and a couple of times while in camp. You are not likely to find yourself hiking day after day in rainy conditions but very likely to encounter some rain during the hike. The Dri Duck pants weigh only 4-5 ounces depending on size (and they run very large) and I think are worthwhile insurance for the JMT especially if you intend to hike through any rain storms rather than set up camp and wait out storms. Unlike on the AT in the warmer months, it is somewhat more tolerable to wear Dri Ducks while hiking on the JMT since rain usually brings cooler temperatures.

I'm taking the Dri Ducks on the Colorado Trail this summer where I expect to use them a lot more while hiking. My only reservation is durability.
    +1 on this. We did the JMT later in the year and actually had to wear the dri duck pant a number of evenings, but really just for warmth, only once for actual rain.

Journal Entries

Thanks.

What model?

Is this it?
    https://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm

This is the model I have:

https://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm

FWIW, I normally wear a large and the medium is still pretty generously cut for me. The return policy is really bad - $6 restocking fee and that doesn't include return postage so be sure you order the appropriate size.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Those pants should work IF you are thruing the JMT during summer between late June to mid/late Sept. The JMT is not typically considered a rainy thru-hike during that period. I don't carry rain pants on the JMT unless I'm hiking into late Oct and even then they aren't just for rainy conditions but more for cold possibly wet (sleet, snow, etc) conditions. For early season JMT thru-hikes when I expect slogging through snow sometimes it being slushy I prefer opting for Schoeller fabric pants that are highly water and mud resistant offering very good abrasion protection from rocks, ice, glissading, etc.

Instead of rain pants, I will be carrying the ULA rain kilt (3.2oz, $30) on my end-ofJuly/August JMT thru. Less weight and better ventilation.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    Instead of rain pants, I will be carrying the ULA rain kilt (3.2oz, $30) on my end-ofJuly/August JMT thru. Less weight and better ventilation.
    +1 on the ULA rain kilt.

I've been using this exclusively since 2009 and find it works much better than any rain pants I've ever had. As said, good ventilation, and light. I first used it on a hike of the northern Superior Hiking Trail, Border Route and Kekekabic Trail in northern Minnesota in the spring of the year. Had wind, rain, sleet, and snow. The kilt worked fine. Offers enough protection in the wind that the legs stay warm, yet allows decent ventilation when not so windy. Also used it on many hundreds of miles on the AT.

Journal Entries

Thanks all. Ordered. Cant go wrong for $30 shipped (and its a multi-use item)

The ULA rain kilt should be great on the JMT in July/ Aug with the only concern I can see are protecting your legs from the biting nasties. BRING plenty of bug dope for skeeters!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I used Dri Ducks on a 10-day trip in Glacier NP last September. The jacket held up pretty well, but the crotch of the pants completely disintegrated on about day 3 of rain and hiking in the pants all day. They still provided some rain protection, but I had to throw them away after the trip. I think the pants are good for short trips or long trips with little or no rain expected; not for through hikes or long section hikes IMO. YMMV.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++