WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default What is the lightest canister stove and pot combination?

What is the lightest canister stove and pot combination with a minimum 550ML sized pot?

Thanks,

I personally use a pocket rocket with a Titanium pot, but i do believe the lightest cannister stove would be a Optimus Crux Lite and Terra Solo Combo but i have seen a thing called Olicamp stove which is suppose to be the lightest cannister stove on the market but that is without the cook pot, but personally i would use a Alchy stove with a Fosters/Heinneken can for pot.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I personally use a pocket rocket with a Titanium pot
    Same here. 1.3 liter pot. Burner attachment, cup, and plastic spoon go inside the pot while traveling.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

What I use personally (which seems to ALMOST be as light weight as you can get with commercial products) is the Snow Peak LiteMax with the MSR Titan Kettle.
    The Titan Kettle is just the right size to store an MSR canister inside, and utilizing the concave area of the canister, I can include the LiteMax folded up under the canister.

Here's a SORTED list (by weight) of stoves mentioned that I can readily find commercially available (or a modern update that is commercially available).
    All weights are rounded to 1 decimal point (some converted from published weights listed by other units).

Fire-Maple Hornet FMS-300T Mini-Stove = 1.6oz
    Olicamp Ion Micro Stove = 1.6oz
    Olicamp Kinetic Ultra Titanium Stove = 1.7oz
    Snow Peak LiteMax = 1.9oz
    MSR Microrocket = 2.6oz - excluding piezo igniter
    Coleman F1 UltraLight = 2.7oz
    MSR Pocket Rocket = 3.0oz
    Optimus Crux Lite = 3.3oz
    JetBoil Burner = 3.6oz

Here's a SORTED list (by weight) of pots mentioned so-far, that are currently commercially available (or a modern update that is commercially available).
    All weights are rounded to 1 decimal point, all volumes are rounded to 100ml unless specified otherwise (some weights/volumes converted from values published in other units).

Snow Peak Titanium bowl = 1.8oz (590 ml) - No Lid
    Evernew Titanium Pasta Pot = 3.3oz (700 ml)
    Evernew Titanium Ultralight = 3.4oz (600 ml)
    Stanco Grease Strainer = ~3.6oz (~2,500 ml) - Kmart Grease Pot**
    Evernew Titanium Pasta Pot = 4.1oz (1,000 ml)
    Evernew Titanium Ultralight = 4.1oz (900 ml)
    MSR Titan Kettle = 4.2oz (850 ml)
    Evernew Titanium Ultraligh = 4.6oz (1,300 ml)
    Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium = 4.8oz (700ml)
    JetBoil Sol (Ti) = 5.1oz (800ml) - Pot+Cozy+Lid
    Optimus Terra Solo = 5.6oz (600 ml)
    Snow Peak Trek 900 Titanium = 6.2oz (900 ml)
    JetBoil Sol (Al) = 6.3oz (800ml) - Pot+Cozy+Lid
    Olicamp XTS = 6.7oz (1,000 ml)

Credits:
    JetBoil Measurements: http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.co...w-jetboil-sol/
    Evernew Titanium Measurements: Amazon.com
    Olicamp Measurements: Amazon.com
    Snow Peak Measurements: Backcountry.com
    Fire-Maple Measurements: www.fire-maple.com
    MSR Measurements: www.cascadedesigns.com
    Stanco Grease Strainer/Kmart Grease Pot: Amazon.com / www.backpackinglight.com
    **Weight for the Stanco Grease Strainer is an estimated weight for pot and lid. The backpacking light article lists a weight of 2.5oz, but Amazon.com lists a weight of 4.8oz. I'm assuming 2.5oz is for pot only.

NOTE: The BPL FireLite has been mentioned, but appears to no longer be available. Some initial googling for the FireLite made me mistakenly think this was a discontinued Evernew pot, hence the listing of Evernew pots even though no one has specifically mentioned them.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 06-12-2014 at 22:49. Reason: Expanding List and providing credit

Yep, the micro-rocket is slightly less weight. I used the micro for about half of my thru, until the threads wore out and the local outfitter only had the pocket rocket. I think the microrocket is like 2.5oz and the pocket rocket is 3.5oz. I used a snow peak titanium pot and coffee cup (5.7oz), and whichever cannister I could find for fuel. I have 8oz on my spreadsheet for weight. I also have the pocketrocket listed as 3oz. So, about a pound to have a hot meal.

Images

If you're going on a longer hike, make sure to include fuel efficiency in the mix. the Jetboil Sol ti weighs 8.9 ounces, certainly not as light as some stove/pot combos, but the fuel efficiency is about 30% greater (mostly because of the heat exchange on the bottom of the pot). this pays off if you're a big hot water user like myself and like to go a week at a time between resupplies.

Images

We've been using a Coleman F1 Ultralight (yeah, laugh, but it's a darn good little stove and under 3oz) with either a 700 or 900ml Snow Peak Ti pot. It works well, fairly light, and does okay in light wind. The total kitchen weight for the 900ml pot, lid, cozy, stove, lighter, and my tiny cleanup kit is 11.5 oz. So not too bad.

But last month we did a long weekend hike and I did some fuel consumption testing, and we averaged 15 grams of fuel per meal, boiling 2-3 cups in the morning for coffee, and only 12 oz in the evening for noodles to share. This was in breezy conditions that kill the efficiency of a canister stove. Looking at our upcoming summer hike, that means that we'll need to carry multiple fuel canisters, which is a pain and negates any weight savings from a canister stove setup.

Found several good reviews of the Jetboil with regard to fuel efficieny, averaging 5g to boil 2 cups of water. But it's expensive and we already have a stove. Then the other day colorado_rob posted the link to the Jetboil Ti for $104, and I jumped on it. The stove came today and I did some side by side testing. Boiling two cups of tap water, outdoors with zero wind, the Jetboil used 5g of fuel and took 2:15, while my current setup used 7g of fuel and took 3:30. That makes the Jetboil 40% more efficient in no wind, which means a single small canister should last us more than a week, and a large canister almost three weeks. Not bad, and the faster boil time is nice though not necessary. The overall weight is anywhere from 9-11 ounces depending on what parts I bring.

(Thanks again, rob.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Don't assume Titanium is the lightest pot. The Kmart Grease pot is much larger than 550 mL and only weight 2.5 g. You will need to rig a handle and a lid.

Images

Fire-Maple Hornet is 1.5oz --
    http://www.fire-maple.com/en/productsinfo.aspx?pid=2
    I dont own one though, so I cannot say much about it.

As for cook pots, there is a titanium Snow Peak bowl that is fairly light at 1.6 oz with a 20 fluid oz capacity -- http://www.rei.com/product/720286/sn...-titanium-bowl

And the tried and true Imusa 12cm mug with a 44 fluid oz capacity is 3.7oz
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Don't assume Titanium is the lightest pot. The Kmart Grease pot is much larger than 550 mL and only weight 2.5 g. You will need to rig a handle and a lid.
    Grease pot is aluminum. If you spend much time eating out of it, before long, you will have a thousand spoon scrapes throughout. Think of all that aluminum you have ingested...

I have an Olicamp Ion stove that is 1.5oz, 45 grams. Indoor 2 Cup boil times under 3.5 minutes in a space saver cup.

http://www.olicamp.com/products-stoves/ion

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    What I use personally (which seems to ALMOST be as light weight as you can get with commercial products) is the Snow Peak LiteMax with the MSR Titan Kettle.
    The Titan Kettle is just the right size to store an MSR canister inside, and utilizing the concave area of the canister, I can include the LiteMax folded up under the canister.

Olicamp Kinetic Ultra Titanium Stove = 1.7oz
    Snow Peak LiteMax = 1.9oz
    MSR Microrocket = 2.6oz
    MSR Pocket Rocket = 3.0oz
    Optimus Crux Lite = 3.3oz

MSR Titan Kettle = 4.2oz (0.85L)
    Snow Peak Trek 700 Titanium cooker = 4.8oz (0.7L)
    Optimus Terra Solo = 5.6oz (0.6L)

Awesome post - I hope you journal that!

matt your post above is a Olicamp but it matches the picture of Maple Fire... - which doesn't appear for purchase- looks like if you want a Maple fire you should Amazon search
    Camping Backpacking Hiking Compact Lightweight Titanium Folding Micro Stove

Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 06-11-2014 at 21:37.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

The new Soto Wind Master is 2.3oz... Great reviews so far. Took a look at REI, solid little stove and very stable. Just can't justify replacing my pocket rocket for 75 bones (perfect shape, using it for 7 years now)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

ya hand it down to a scout.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the lightest would be any titanium pot with the titanium Fire Fly stove. QiWiz is the maker of the Fire Fly and is on WB a lot. Check it out at:http://www.qiwiz.net/
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Maple Fire Hornet or Oilcamp Ion and a DIY cut down(w/ stiffened rolled rim) aluminum can perhaps something like a Heiniken or Fosters can w/ makeshift foil lid or perhaps saving the original top of the can to serve as a lid. Beyond that it would be new to me.

These are canister stoves.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Awesome post - I hope you journal that!

matt your post above is a Olicamp but it matches the picture of Maple Fire...
    Camping Backpacking Hiking Compact Lightweight Titanium Folding Micro Stove
    Yes, the Hornet and Ion seem to be very similar.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...42&startat=100

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Images

Soto Micro Regulator 2.6 oz works great in the cold... gotta still be the lightest and the best...

The Fire Maple (called hornet or wasp-depending on who translated it when boxing in China) FMS 300T is the lightest canister stove on the market at 45g.
    Arguments could be made for better, more efficient, etc. But as far as weight- this is it.
    FWIW- this stove remains my favorite overall-the TI version has a different burner head. My personal stove is nearly 12 years old, no issues, ever.
    http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Peak-Giga.../dp/B001SMOWHQ

The olicamp Ion is the same stove, or as Roger Caffin more accurately puts it-
    "Of course not! The Olicamp ones are BLUE! That obviously makes them ever so much better... :-) Cheers"

I own one, it is an excellent stove. Assuming you are carrying an ignition source anyway and depending on how you do your math, you could count your mini-bic (13g) as part of the weight.
    As WOO obtusely shared, it is now easy to get in the US- http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Backpa...VM23209B2Q5Y1F

A beer can pot is still the lightest, and technically commercially available. But if you're not much for having to baby your pot and/or occasionally might want to cook on an open fire.

The Toak's pot is quite light, 3oz. including the lid. I am not 100% positive it is the absolute market available lightest pot, but it is very close.
    I also own it, happy with it, the stuff sack included is nice and the pot stows a small (100g) canister, the stove, a mini-bic, and a lightload towel with no issues.
    http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium.../dp/B00CYA26BU

At about $60 for the pair, including shipping. It is hard to argue with this setup.
    Compared to a Jetboil, I feel this is a better starting rig- you can use any pot should your needs or trip type change. If your fuel curiosity leads you elsewhere, the pot can be used with any alchy, esbit, or wood fire.

All the Toaks brand stuff is nice, much cheaper than comparable TI (walls are thinner- non-issue with basic boil cooking), and doesn't (yet) run into the availability issues common with Evernew.

As a cheaper, non-TI alternative at 3oz (no lid) this is a popular alternative putting you all in (stove and pot) for under $50.
    http://www.amazon.com/Olicamp-Anodiz...ds=olicamp+ion

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++