WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hexamid Solo Plus

Just received my Solo Plus in the mail yesterday. No netting, with the beak. This will be my shelter for my JMT Thru starting Aug 20 - GETTING CLOSE!!!!

I ordered it just barely 5 weeks before I needed it, that was ZPacks stated lead time. I included an email with my intended plans, and they stated they could ship by Aug 1 - I was happy. Now, I'm even more happy since they beat their estimated ship day substantially. Kudos to ZPacks!!!

I set the Solo Plus up this AM, and it is everything I had hoped. The weight, including all guylines, stuffsack and elastic cords for the floor (I will be removing these, as I use polycryo for a ground cloth) is within a fraction of an ounce of their stated weights. It is lighter than what is stated on the website, but VERY close.

I will probably order their bug inner tent eventually, but for this trip, I'm not planning on having an issue with bugs. Love this flexibility.

We have a 30% chance of rain today and tonight, 50% chance tomorrow and tomorrow night, so hopefully I'll get to check it out in the rain this weekend. My luck, I will have clear, dry weather all weekend.

Just wanted to give ZPacks a public thank-you for their quick, personalized service.

I see you are interested in wt. I'll offer this. I've made my own floorless pyramidal bug net, similar to Sea to Summits NANO Pyramidal Shelter - single person version, http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/191 but constructed out of TULLE for something like $12 that weighs a tad less than 2 oz. All my bug netting shelters are attached via micro bungee cord to inside, usually under the ridgeline, hanging loops that come on all my MLD, Zpacks, and Oware tarps/shelters when I use them with these shelters. You can have hanging loops customized into places if you ask. I like compartmentalizing my gear including my shelters. Although, quite a few one piece UL bug shelters are components unto themselves I take it further. I usually prefer having my ground cloth separate from my bug netting when using under a tarp, ZPacks Hexamid, or Mountain Laurel Designs SoloMid. This way I can leave the netting and/or ground cloth home when I think conditions and my kit allow. I can also change up my ground cloth if one is to be used with the bug net. I have ground clothes of two different wt Cuben fiber fabrics, Tyvek, and polycro. This conveniently affords the ability to use the ground cloth and/or bug netting separate from the main shelter too like when cowboy camping. This also means replacing one of these components, should either the bug netting or the ground cloth be damaged, more easy and cheaply rather than replacing an entire bug shelter. Manufactured bug net shelters, while convenient for ready purchasing, get to be pricey IMHO. Some of my ground cloths have DIY bathtub corner features that I opt for in really wet weather under any of these tarp type shelters. I took the bath tub floor corner idea from threads here on WB and BPL and had it further explained in a how to DIY fashion with the help of Alligator who provided some simple pointers. It's really pretty easy to make a DIY bug net and tweaking the fabric choices(nanoseeum, tulle, crinoline, organza, etc) for wt, level of bug protection, durability, etc). Here's what mine look like although a bit more fragile with the Tulle fabric but also about 20% of the cost of a sea to summit NANO Bug shelter. http://www.rei.com/product/849594/se...6c2c0#specsTab I've been using the same TULLE fabric bug netting for about 6 yrs now and consider I put a seasoned number of trail miles and backcountry nights in per yr employing it.

Your post here reminded me of all the gear I recently re-examined for wt and that possibly was in need of repair which I just inventoried. My Tulle bug nets weighed in at what I said STILL in fine condition. Let me know if you want any more details.

Journal Entries

Don't know when your hike is, but I just finished the jmt yesterday. I skipped dinner one night the mozzies were so bad. Only in a few isolated spots, but one is all it takes to make you miserable. I likes my sanctuary.

++ New Posts ++