WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default BEST Mosquito Head Net

Check out this mosquito head net. I think it's the best I have ever used:http://boutiqueretailer.com.au/produ...-insect-mozzie

What I think I like best is that the top part of the net is a elastic ring you place around your hat. Then the net hangs down as usual. It is not the baggie type of head net that you drape over your hat.

What type of head net do you use if any?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries

I went with this one as it comes with a insect repellant that keeps the bugs away.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries
    Images

Which one was taht Buckeye?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Journal Entries
    Images

By the way, today I bought a hat that is permethrin treated. The tags say: "Keep bugs at bay. Insect blocker repels mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers, and midges (no-see-ums) and lasts through 70 washes, the expected lifetime of the garment. Insect blocker keeps bugs at bay so you can enjoy the Greater Outdoors in peace". Has a UPF rating on 30. The fashion is like a baseball cap with a skirt that hangs down over the ears and back of head/neck. Claims to be waterproof also (rain). I think that is only the top and bill, I wonder if the skirt part is water proof as it looks pretty breathable. Tags says "Cushioned, Blocked, Shielded and shaded. Keeping you Cool when the heat is on. Rain? Water? Sweat? Not here. Warmth in even the coldest conditions". It is the Wonder Hat! ha, ha. Columbia is the brand and it beat out the $80 plus hats for me as it was $35.00 bucks at a local Gander Mountain. The $80 plus hats were OR hats. I am going to go with me on CDT.
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 06-12-2014 at 15:22.

Sea to Summit headnets all the way! I used to always wear a bush hat when backpacking but it's just too hot when compared to the very lightweight crushable-bill hats out there nowadays. Rain Man on the left with Sarah in the middle.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Which one was taht Buckeye?
    The word "one" in the message was the hyperlink. Click here http://www.rei.com/product/799982/se...-insect-shield

Hope this helps
    Blackheart

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

Sea to Summit headnets all the way! I used to always wear a bush hat when backpacking but it's just too hot when compared to the very lightweight crushable-bill hats out there nowadays. Rain Man on the left with Sarah in the middle.

Uh Tipi a picture is a thousand words... the boys got the nets and the gal sucked it up and went Marine.... I am kidding. but your legs and elbows are not protected, ya can't outrun them.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Uh Tipi a picture is a thousand words... the boys got the nets and the gal sucked it up and went Marine.... I am kidding. but your legs and elbows are not protected, ya can't outrun them.
    Surely you jest. Biting black flies, mosquitoes and noseeum midges can have my arms and legs, it's what flies into my ears and eyes and nose and mouth which is the main concern.

Journal Entries
    Images

I got it Bukyeye. Great photos and links you guys. Head nets. Glory! Have you ever seen anyone actually try to hike in the net "clothing" they are selling now? It seems gimmiky and would not work.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes I did jest.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I am not sure whether I read it on here or in the Hammock Forums; but I researched a Headnet made by Peter Vacco. Google Peter Vacco Headnets or maybe try PeterVaccoheadnets.com. His nets come from his own research from hikes he took in Alaska and from prototypes that he created, adjusted and even patented. The nets look lighter, better cut and angled and look to making breathing through the mesh easier to increase time spent wearing it. I just ordered one from the site and am waiting on it as we speak. His website say's that the S2S is good but the OP asked for the Best and I think PHN may be the Best (sight unseen at this point). Maybe someone that has had a PHN for awhile can comment.

We had net "parkas" and pants available for night assignments. They were clumsy but they did work.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I like the rings on this headnet.

Journal Entries
    Images

H a, ha, good deal I guess for the money but the guy looks, well, the net has a distinct look! Let us know what you find out Gbolt.

I sent a letter to Peter Vacco with enclosed check for one headnet. Eighteen days later I received the headnet in the mail. I feel it was a great purchase with the special touch that cottage industries are known for. The product is as advertised and worth researching as a choice in bug protection. I am new to lighter weight backpacking options as well as to you-tube and forums. So I decided to do my first gear video upload about this bug net. Here is the link http://youtu.be/PDRYlzatuEg Nothing close to Shug's productions but does let you know what I found out about the PHN Headnet. Hopefully, it will help others looking for protection and in a way, start to pay others back for their time and efforts on this forum. I know I am carrying a lighter yet safer pack into the backcountry while I wait on retirement and a future thru hike.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I've used Peter's headsets for the past couple years. Differences from other nets are subtle but definitely a better fit over a hat.

Just tell Peter what kind of hat you wear.

Images

Peter Vacco's headnets are the best. They are the only headnet I can tolerate wearing. It's a nice design. The material he uses is tulle (bridal veil material). I can see better with peter's headnets and it has more breathability so isn't quite as hot as other headnets. The tulle has a fine enough grid that mosquitoes and black flies can't go through it, but midges/no-see-ums might ( I haven't run into them much ); he says if they are truly awful a few might get through.
    Correct link:
    http://www.petersheadnets.com/index.html
    This page has his advice for mosquitoes:

Unfortunately, he says:
    Note : As of July 3 we are stacked solid with orders and i can not fill any more of this season.

Peter is sewing daily, and taking care of customers who's orders already exist. After that, i am going hiking, which i have not been out of the house for 8 weeks now.

If the situation changes, it will be posted here.
    I'd say either watch his website and order when he's taking orders again or order it now and expect to wait a long time. Either way, you ought to get one for next season.

Images

+1 Peter Vacco - I bought a few extra for gifts. Expect to wait. His communication is good and the product is the BEST!
    See ya when I get there.

++ New Posts ++