WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default treking poles in nyc

has anyone every had trouble with having treking poles getting confiscated
    while travling by bus or planes in new york city,should i mail my treking poles ahead,i will be taking greyhound bus from nashville tn to lincoln nh next week and i will be passing thru port authority in newyork city neo

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

If the bus services are anything like the airports you might try to get them identified as "walking sticks/poles". Might seem obvious to most but the TSA regs currently prohibit "ski poles" (multi-section or not) from being carried on-board. We ran into that last May in Denver on our way back to Trail Days. Once we got the TSA rep to review their regs we ALL learned that if they are "walking poles" they are permitted on-board.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Do they collapse? I didn't have anyone question mine collapsed on Greyhound a few weeks ago. Mine were collapsed.

That was awful repetive-Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    And poor spelling too.

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

I used my non-collapsible poles on Greyhound without any issue except for odd looks from fellow passengers. Carry-on, of course, not checked. I'm not sure how NYC or regional bues, trains, etc would treat them.
    -Mark

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Alligator

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    And poor spelling too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler
    ...not sure how NYC or regional bues, trains, etc would treat them.
    It's contagious...-Mark

Images

pretend like you need 'em to walk.

As long as Greyhound allows them, you shouldn't have any problem with the Port Authority Police. They've seen a lot of things, and they should be able to identify you as a hiker pretty easily.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Default Hiking Poles while travelling

I didn't have problems carrying my poles on the bus through NYC or Boston this summer. In fact I thought that they would make me put them under the bus but the luggage handler in NYC told me to take them on as carry-on. They helped me get identified as a hiker to another AT hiker and I ended up with a great seat mate and some good AT conversation. I thought that they would be a problem in New York with all the police and paranoia, but no one gave me a second look.

OnStar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kaytee
    I didn't have problems carrying my poles on the bus through NYC or Boston this summer. In fact I thought that they would make me put them under the bus but the luggage handler in NYC told me to take them on as carry-on. They helped me get identified as a hiker to another AT hiker and I ended up with a great seat mate and some good AT conversation. I thought that they would be a problem in New York with all the police and paranoia, but no one gave me a second look.

OnStar
    thanks for the info kaytee,your a big help neo

I don't know about the bus but my wife and I have flown all over the US with our poles, collapsed and checked, She has brought hers to New Zealand with no problems. Most security people know what they are.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[QUOTE=Moxie00]I don't know about the bus but my wife and I have flown all over the US with our poles, collapsed and checked
    ================================================
    It's only a problem when you carry them on a plane. We could have checked ours too and there would have been no issue. But we were packing light and carried our backpacks on the plane so we wanted our sticks there with us.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

++ New Posts ++