WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

When I went SOBO there were several men around me who thought there were going to get through in 5 days. They did not. (Some others did, but most hikers starting out do not.) They ran out of food.

Eight days is not too much food for a SOBO starting out.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Eight days of food is good, if you are counting from the base of Katahdin to Monson, which adds another 10 miles or so to the 100 mile wilderness. From Abol Bridge it's "only" 100, but Southbounders should start counting from Katahdin Stream Campground.

Heading south, the first fifty miles of the "wilderness" are pretty easy with relatively little vertical gain or loss. The good stuff starts halfway through; first WhiteCap and then the Chairback range. The main hazards in the first half are the roots and bog bridges. Plus the usual annoying insects, fords, and so on. Water should be plentiful down low, most likely scarce on the ridges. In 2010, Chairback Gap Lean-To had no water; water was from a stream crossing the trail 1.7 miles south of the lean-to. Most of the HMW is quite gorgeous. I found the last day (from Long Pond Stream Lean-To to Monson) a bit dreary.

If you run into serious trouble, there are forest road crossings where you can bail. It's not nearly as wild as the good old days, you know, when men were men and sheep were nervous. Shaws runs frequent shuttles out to the Rte. 15 trailhead. Other threads here on WB discuss the bail points and shuttlers.

Five days is not uncommon for northbound thru-hikers. For sobos that's not realistic, unless you're very fit and experienced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++