WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I have used my alcohol stove for what will be the entirety of my AT hike (sections). I've tried the pocket rocket, i've tried wood stoves, and they each have their uses. But for me, I keep coming back to the Alcohol stove for it's simplicity and performance. I've used it from single digits to well into the 90s and it has never let me down. I've also used my PR in low temps and it's been almost as good.

If I were hiking solo and not cooking for 5 I'd probably use the PR for the easy of use (screw on, light and go) but for heating a 4 liter pot alcohol cooks more evenly for me (I don't just heat water).

So I'm not bashing or even degrading other stoves. Just pitching my voice into a chorus of others who say alcohol is a perfectly viable AT stove for thru or section or even day hikers.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Same reason Wilderness Outfitters in chattanooga sells so many at $25. Solite alcohol stoves are a great stove. even tho you can make them really cheap, I found the $25 price to be great. Been heating my meals the past few days with it, to get used to it.

So, basically, they're selling the Solite for $24 more than what it would cost to make one yourself and you think it's a great price, but somehow the $22 markup on a Jetboil is unfair? I really don't understand the point of this thread. I worked at REI for 4 years. I could probably count on one hand the number of esbit or alcohol stoves I rang up during that entire time. They're simply not as popular with the demographic that shops at REI and similar stores, for a variety of reasons (less experience, new to backpacking, car campers so weight doesn't matter, etc.).

I have both an alcohol stove (mine is from Tinman and cost me $12) and an MSR Pocket Rocket. Most of my trips are <5 days, so I prefer the Pocket Rocket because the weight difference is negligible (I usually only boil water for dinner, so I can get away with a small fuel canister) and it's just easier for me.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I feel like this article and video are worth posting to this discussion.

Plus related article from the PCTA. http://www.pcta.org/2014/dangers-alc...s-video-17113/

I will admit that the tinkerer in my still likes to mess around making new alcohol stoves and they still make it into my pack often enough.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 06-17-2014 at 21:51.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Alcohols stoves are easy to use and perform well in all weather conditions. Watch Shug use an alcohol stove in -40 degree weather in Northern MN

Pretty sure he is using a white gas stove.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Alcohol stoves can be used for winter. They use them on the Iditarod after all.

However, it takes a lot more alcohol vs white gas to melt snow.

After a certain point that comes very quickly in winter, white gas (or, in recent years, an inverted canister stove), is going to be much more efficient for melting snow for a backpacker/skier/snowshoer who does not have the logistic support of the Idiatarod.
    Last edited by Mags; 06-18-2014 at 09:46.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Alcohol stoves can be used for winter. They use them on the Iditarod after all.

However, it takes a lot more alcohol vs white gas to melt snow.

After a certain point that comes very quickly in winter, white gas (or, in recent years, an inverted canister stove), is going to be much more efficient for melting snow for a backpacker/skier/snowshoer who does not have the logistic support of the Idiatarod.
    Yep. If I ever get back into winter camping, my dusty Whisperlites could see action again. I really thought they were the cat's meow, back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Pretty sure he is using a white gas stove.
    Yep, at 5:27. That's a Whisperlite, for sure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Yep, at 5:27. That's a Whisperlite, for sure.
    Yes, for sure

Now watch it again starting at 3:02. He's still in his hammock and was able to get a pot of water boiling using his Fancee Feest alcohol stove. His dependable Fancee Feest at -32 degrees Life is good with alcohol stoves. The Fancee Feest stove came into being right here on WB in the DIY gear forum. That was back in the day when DIY stoves was the thing to be making. Now it's mainly BIY canister stoves or as Mags likes to do....no cook, go cold just kidding Mags (he boils by the gallon) must be pasta

Make one for yourself:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=fancee+feest

Hey. watch and listen to Shug about using a Companion Alcohol Burner with a wood burning stove:
    Last edited by zelph; 06-18-2014 at 16:58. Reason: added link to Fancee Feest

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Yes, for sure

Now watch it again starting at 3:02. He's still in his hammock and was able to get a pot of water boiling using his Fancee Feest alcohol stove. His dependable Fancee Feest at -32 degrees Life is good with alcohol stoves. The Fancee Feest stove came into being right here on WB in the DIY gear forum. That was back in the day when DIY stoves was the thing to be making. Now it's mainly BIY canister stoves or as Mags likes to do....no cook, go cold just kidding Mags (he boils by the gallon) must be pasta

Make one for yourself:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=fancee+feest

Now that you mention it I wonder what an "up"sized alcohol can stove might be like. I'm still searching for alcohol stove nirvana cooking in a 4 liter pot. My penny stove gets it there but it takes a bit. I wonder if I could get more btu's out of a larger diameter stove. Of course, the flames from my penny stove still like the outside of that big, wide 4 liter pot as it is so I might lose more heat that way as well.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Now that you mention it I wonder what an "up"sized alcohol can stove might be like. I'm still searching for alcohol stove nirvana cooking in a 4 liter pot. My penny stove gets it there but it takes a bit. I wonder if I could get more btu's out of a larger diameter stove. Of course, the flames from my penny stove still like the outside of that big, wide 4 liter pot as it is so I might lose more heat that way as well.
    The Fancee Feest has some "capacity" 3oz fuel I was able to get 1 gallon of water to a soft boil. This link is to the Fancee Feest thread in the DIY gear forums:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...l=1#post402412

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Alcohols stoves are easy to use and perform well in all weather conditions. Watch Shug use an alcohol stove in -40 degree weather in Northern MN

I love the "Shug" he's a cool dude!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I hate my Whisperlite. It's noisy, temperamental, and seems to think I look better with singed eyebrows. But there's nothing like a naphtha stove for melting snow. Otherwise, I bring my soda can stove. It always lights, never flares in my face, and never clogs. And if I should happen to spill fuel, it won't eat holes in nylon. It's not that it doesn't work in winter. It works admirably. The alcohol is just too heavy when you need to boil 4-6 liters of water a day just to drink.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Bro i don't want to sound like an A$$hole but you could have made one youself for around $5 with the Fosters can pot. their really not hard to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I feel like this article and video are worth posting to this discussion.

Plus related article from the PCTA. http://www.pcta.org/2014/dangers-alc...s-video-17113/

I will admit that the tinkerer in my still likes to mess around making new alcohol stoves and they still make it into my pack often enough.
    I had to bail from a 9 day trip because of the smoke of the Yosemite Rim and American fires last summer. It was really miserable here. I REALLY appreciate you posting this.

More PCT stove/fire ban info. http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tra...y-basics/fire/

(I realize that Ricky and Jack are in GA... but for anybody out here reading...)

Journal Entries

In my thru I was very happy with the convenience, speed and very long time between fuel resupply of the Jetboil with the smallest canister available. It just made more time for everything else.

In warmer weather I went to Esbit, mainly for morning coffee, weight and simplicity made the difference.

Now working 'for pay' on the trail, needs are changed and alcohol makes more sense for me. The longer cook time is a benefit as I have a whole day to fill that is not constant hiking, and have more time to talk to other hikers at the shelters. Also known and constant resupply opportunity along with the cost makes alcohol a better choice for this.

But if thru hiking again I would happily fire up my Jetboil in a instant, it is just so no nonsense, hot water now, and don't worry about fuel as it lasts so darn long.

Images

have used an alcohol stove that I made out of a tea light for years in all kinds of weather. the yuppies at the outfitters did not know what they were talking about and just wanted to sell you a more expensive stove.

Any valid reasons not to use a Trangia alcohol burner? It seems like the Svea 123 of alcohol burners.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    have used an alcohol stove that I made out of a tea light for years in all kinds of weather. the yuppies at the outfitters did not know what they were talking about and just wanted to sell you a more expensive stove.
    Probably one of the most primitive and earliest lights/lantern/stove was half a clam shell and some animal fat.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++