WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images

Once again, nice job with the numbers Odd Man Out. This guy has flown under the radar so far. He's got a shot!

Well, had to take a peek- plugged Odd Man's data into my sheet for fun.
    Joey had a bit of a "slow start" per the law of averages but seems quite on track relative to the difficulty of each section after reaching Fontana. Suppose a week (12 days officially) to settle in can be expected.

So- he hasn't finished the Kent to Glencliff section- and to make things work smoother I averaged his mileage from Waynesboro to Harpers for the calculator (it only uses one known section to project) and that number best matched his known times to date. 56.9 days says the calculator.

We'll see how it goes- in theory he should be tapering his mileage towards Glencliff- his latest posts show he is fighting for his 40, I show he only needs to average 37 to Kent.

Well done fella!
    Going to try to pass this info on; but if any have the means please let Joey see this info if possible- 27 in the whites would be plenty- hate to see him come so far and get hurt pushing for a mileage he doesn't need to hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Bill; 06-25-2014 at 12:39. Reason: mixed up kent and glencliff

I feel a graph coming forth. When I get some free time....

at least he's attempting the traditional way

Default Class Act

Seems Matt caught word of Joey's efforts and true to form remains a "Grand" Gentleman- Bravo to Matt Kirk
    Matt's post-

"Dang, Ward gets 23 years and I won't even get one!?!? I just learned about your attempt. Your ability to improvise resupply and keep your feet healthy given wetness and day-to-day pounding at such a fast clip is unbelievable! It's been entertaining to read what you've shared on this blog. Thank you for your efforts. I'm impressed that you've been able to share so much while on the trail! You are living life. Enjoy the sweet dessert of NH and ME! Safe and happy trails to the end, Go Joe, go!"

little late, but I'll say....

56 days 12 hours and 17 min

Go Joey Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    at least he's attempting the traditional way
    NOBO- so at least it will "count"
    and not a damn RV, functioning or otherwise in sight.

It will be fun to watch the last couple of weeks of this play out. Clearly a very strong and determined hiker. I'm rooting for him.

Here's some more numbers. We can compare to Camp's progress to Map Man's analysis of a typical thru hike by section. You can see he got off to a fast start, relative to a typical thru hiker, but after Fontana he has been remarkably consistent, hiking 2.59 times faster than an typical thru hiker over that distance. Let's assume this is the point where typical thru hikers get the "tail legs". If we use this scale factor to project the expected MPD for Camp over the last 4 sections and then use this to project the number of days to hike these sections, and then use this to project a total number of days, we get a 56.23 day hike. See Sheet 2 of the spreadsheet in dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7svq4goupry54z7/Camps.xlsx

Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Seems Matt caught word of Joey's efforts and true to form remains a "Grand" Gentleman- Bravo to Matt Kirk
    Matt's post-

"Dang, Ward gets 23 years and I won't even get one!?!? I just learned about your attempt. Your ability to improvise resupply and keep your feet healthy given wetness and day-to-day pounding at such a fast clip is unbelievable! It's been entertaining to read what you've shared on this blog. Thank you for your efforts. I'm impressed that you've been able to share so much while on the trail! You are living life. Enjoy the sweet dessert of NH and ME! Safe and happy trails to the end, Go Joe, go!"
    Matt is a real class guy. He did say last year that he was sure that someone would break his record. I dont think he thought it would be this year. If Flash stays healthy looks like he will be the record holder. Good luck Flash. Stay strong

Poaching Odd Man Out's numbers, through June 23.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    THANKS! I was too lazy to make the graph.

This man is definitely cranking it out! Go Joey Go!!!! You Got This !!!... Wonder if Ward Leonard is aware & following? It would be interesting to hear his perspective....

Thinking of Ward, has anyone ever bested his Flip-Flop feat? I'm pretty sure he did 3 Thrus in less than a calendar year.

* Not Flip-Flop, meant Yo-yo 's.......

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Unsupported means your on your own lugging a full pack with no help from others. That can also mean not even hitch hiking to town for supplies, but that's taking it to extremes.
    Slo-go'en,

Going off of your definition, wouldn’t the record still be retained by Ward Leonard? During his hike Matt had purchase food from other hikers while on the trail. Up to that point of purchase, that food weight was carried by other hikers. So he was supported. Ward on the other hand, had to get off trail, go into town and purchase his own food. All this takes time.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    THANKS! I was too lazy to make the graph.
    No worries. I would be happy to update 2-3x per week if you grab the numbers.

Appreciate you boys doing that/this, it's fun to follow along.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Jeff- as an amatuer but curious fella at the numbers game-
    What is the point of the cumulative miles being displayed? Doesn't it always (more or less) graph out as a simple triangle? On a typical hike I suppose it would show zero's or slow sections better, but on a hike of (relatively) constant velocity I don't get it. Or is it just a question of scale not showing the variations?

Or do I simply show my ignorance of the science in seeing it's value?

Also- if available when there is time- the graphic I would like to see would be the miles per day(y) against the location on the trail(x), ideally with a line for Jen, Matt, Joey and the average hiker from Map Man's data sets.
    Likely a big project- but I appreciate the skill and clarity with which you make these charts and would find that one very compelling- showing performance vs trail difficulty as well as hiker vs. hiker.

Thank you again for your efforts regardless.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++