WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Joey Camp's Unsupported Record Attempt

Joey Camps Blog trail name Flash

This guy is really hauling a$$. I found out about him from reading Right Here's trailjournal entry where he ran into him yesterday.

I believe Matt Kirk holds the current unsupported record of 58 days 9 hours.

I find Joey's blog to be quite entertaining too.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

what does "Unsupported" mean? I saw that a few times here, but I think it was used as a few diff meanings.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    what does "Unsupported" mean? I saw that a few times here, but I think it was used as a few diff meanings.
    Unsupported means your on your own lugging a full pack with no help from others. That can also mean not even hitch hiking to town for supplies, but that's taking it to extremes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

oh okay. So basically every hiker who doesn't use mail drops. lol

Great blog tho. thanks.

No, unsupported means no team waiting for you at road crossings with meals, water, a place to sleep, etc. Doing a supported hike lets you carry a lot less and move much faster.

Images

He is definitely cranking the miles. 40 and change and still going strong, though the mileage is somewhat inconsistent. Good luck.
    Last edited by Malto; 06-16-2014 at 07:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    oh okay. So basically every hiker who doesn't use mail drops. lol

Great blog tho. thanks.
    No, mail drops are fine under the definition of Unsupported.

The vast majority of hikers are considered Unsupported, it's just taken for granted; however, if you notice that this thread is under the Trail Running and Speed Hiking forum and in that world the terms Supported and Unsupported take on an entirely different meaning and are important things to know when someone is trying to make a fast hike.

The current holder of the Supported speed hike of the AT http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/sp...anted=all&_r=0

The current holder of the Unsupported speed hike of the AT http://matthewkirk.blogspot.com/

P.S. These are unofficial since this isn't a sanctioned sport.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Three broad categories as established by the Fastest Known Time board http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/ :

Unsupported - Means you carry ALL your food from start to finish with no outside resupply (including mail drops). Something like the Colorado Trail and the JMT is where this happens. I'm almost certain this type of record will not happen on something like the PCT. I could be wrong, though.

Self-Supported: Traditional thru-hike style. Mail drops, resupply by shopping in town. Some will not hitch into town at all and walk into town or a mail drop place. That's a relatively newer trend more-or-less started by Scott Williamson on the PCT.

Supported: Ultra-run style. Support crew at road crossings, typically sleeping in a camp assistants set up for you, only day-hiking/running gear is typically carried

Good read, BTW
    http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness...nown-Time.html
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Mags I'm confused by your definition of "self-supported", to wit: "Some will not hitch into town at all." Meaning what, exactly? That they always walked to/from town?

Eons ago some early AT thru hikers buried food caches at select road crossings. I can't imagine anyone does that nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Mags I'm confused by your definition of "self-supported", to wit: "Some will not hitch into town at all." Meaning what, exactly? That they always walked to/from town?
    Matt Kirk's self-supported hike utilized the "no cars" rule. He hiked into town. His personal rules for self-supported are here: http://sub60.wikispaces.com/About

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Exactly that. That seems to be the trend more and more. As mentioned, it was started (I believe) by Scott Williamson on the PCT. Matt Kirk did it as mentioned above. So did Anish on her PCT thru.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I knew there was a third category, but didn't feel like searching for it and I knew someone would correct me. Thanks Mags.

BTW, did I get it wrong? Is Matt Kirk the current Self-Supported record holder? If so, who is the Unsupported record holder? Or are the terms just kind of synonyms, in a loosey-goosey type of way

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    BTW, did I get it wrong? Is Matt Kirk the current Self-Supported record holder? If so, who is the Unsupported record holder? Or are the terms just kind of synonyms, in a loosey-goosey type of way
    Yes, None, and Yes.

Being serious, for something like the AT, I doubt there will truly be an unsupported recorded as now defined (i.e. carrying all your food and not resupplying) just because carrying 60+ days of food would be rather difficult. I could be wrong, mind you.

For a long trail like the AT, the term unsupported and self-supported (thru-hiker style) tend to blur.

It is the relatively shorter trails like the CT and JMT that really use the unsupported label more.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Unsupported - Means you carry ALL your food from start to finish with no outside resupply (including mail drops). Something like the Colorado Trail and the JMT is where this happens. I'm almost certain this type of record will not happen on something like the PCT. I could be wrong, though.

Self-Supported: Traditional thru-hike style. Mail drops, resupply by shopping in town. Some will not hitch into town at all and walk into town or a mail drop place. That's a relatively newer trend more-or-less started by Scott Williamson on the PCT.
    Although these definitions may be "technically" accurate, many AT hikers refer to Matt Kirk's record as UNSUPPORTED even though it was Self Supported by your definition.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Although these definitions may be "technically" accurate, many AT hikers refer to Matt Kirk's record as UNSUPPORTED even though it was Self Supported by your definition.
    It is not my definition. It is the FKT's community definition.

See the Colorado Trail link I gave earlier for more info.
    http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...colorado-trail

As I mentioned above, there is a definite blur between unsupported and self-supported. Matters to only a small amount of people, but still....
    Last edited by Mags; 06-16-2014 at 11:17.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Boy, isn't he going to be pissed when he reaches the end and then realizes "what? You mean I coulda used drop boxes and not almost died of starvation?"

lol

Looks like he started May 15 from Springer. +58 days is July 12. That's the day I start my SOBO thru hike! Maybe we will cross paths...
    Going SOBO in 2014!
    My Trail Journal

"But I was thinking, my pack only weighs 10lbs, I am already slack packing."

Awesome!
    Enthusiasm and attitude seem to be outpacing experience and planning with this guy- but he's having fun!
    Definitely on pace to do something, great trip so far either way. Make it or not- capturing this much joy in motion is what it's all about.

On a VERY MINOR note:
    He's likely going to deal with some Anish problems (pizza gate) at some point with the trail magic if he does it. I don't personally care, but for a record...rules are rules.
    I hope it's not a big deal for him, but seems like he's too enthusiastic to care one way or the other. But yes, cart, horse- and all that.

Best of luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    On a VERY MINOR note:
    He's likely going to deal with some Anish problems (pizza gate) at some point with the trail magic if he does it. I don't personally care, but for a record...rules are rules.
    I hope it's not a big deal for him, but seems like he's too enthusiastic to care one way or the other. But yes, cart, horse- and all that.

Best of luck to him.
    Is that the debate about getting stuff from trail angels? A self-supported hiker can take a slice of pizza from a random trail angel because it was not pre-arranged support from a support team. But when you post your location on a blog and people start planning to meet you with pizza (albeit unsolicited), your hike essentially becomes supported. So that is now called pizza gate?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Is that the debate about getting stuff from trail angels? A self-supported hiker can take a slice of pizza from a random trail angel because it was not pre-arranged support from a support team. But when you post your location on a blog and people start planning to meet you with pizza (albeit unsolicited), your hike essentially becomes supported. So that is now called pizza gate?
    My term for the incident.

Either issue is incidental- and not a big deal IMO, and a very grey area all together.
    The only black and white solution, which I do agree with- avoid the problem by refusing all support, much like the refusing to hitch game plan. That way- no possibility of questioning it.

For the record- I didn't really care about the pizza thing, or other things I won't mention regarding other folks (a bit sorry I made the comment above actually).
    More of an observation that there are those that take that sort of thing seriously, even if the hiker in question does not, and it's a shame when something silly comes back to bite someone.
    That said- I fully understand the arguement- and while often overblown- catching a bit of magic is a huge boost (morally, and physically) that can make a difference.
    The cyber lawyering of the trip (which I am guilty of) shouldn't matter-but a record is a record- and it will happen.

For me-
    Regarding the court of public opinion-as long as you tell people what you did that's all that's important.
    If you are happy with your trip- that's all that matters.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++