WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hammocks on the AT?

Hey guys, first post on the forum. I'm getting prepared for my first thru-hike here in about a year, and I was curious if anyone had experience/good results with taking a hammock onto the AT. Any opinions welcome! I'm just really wanting to dial in the gear aspect of this so I can get accustomed to what I'm using before I hit the thru-hike date.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hammocks are a very popular and successful shelter on the AT. They do require more skill/experience to deal with cold. Don't just show up in March with one.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Go to HammockForums .com

Its the sister site to this. There are a TON of people with hammock experience on the A.T.

I'm not sure what the percentage, but I wouldn't be surprised if 3/10 hikers use hammocks (or more)
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

I have no desire to camp in temps this cold but this guy does it comfortably all the time. And in a hammock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTuGJ...o-W6qquKQdK35e

Welcome to WB
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Hey OTH,

While I haven't yet hiked the AT, though I will be hammocking next year for my thru. As mentioned above, there are some different learning curves that come in to play when using hammocks for your shelter, definitely get your gear tested and dialed in well before you start your thru! Happy hiking, and good luck!

Here is a 2008 Trail Journal of a hammock hanger who evangelized about the benefits of hammocks while she thru hiked.
    click this
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

Many people have used hammocks the whole distance. I have used mine on section hikes.

I was doing a section hike around Springer Mt where I did have one person ask what kind of tent I used and I told him I used a hammock. He said it must be a real problem finding trees to hang from. I looked around at the all the trees at the site where he was at and told yes it was a major problem finding trees along the trail.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

I began section hiking the AT in '03 with a trusty tent. In '05 attended Trail Days and bought a hammock from Tom Hennessey himself. By that time, I had heard many things from hammock enthusiasts. For a while I switched back-and-forth between tent and hammock. Now I take my hammock almost exclusively. (Sometimes I take only a tarp, if it's not bug season.)

Was on the AT last week in NJ/NY. Here's my set-up at Wawayanda State Park.

I've hammocked every month of the year. Lowest I've gotten on a trail is 16 degress, I believe. In my yard I've gone down to zero, comfortably.

To each his own, of course.

RainMan

Attached Images Attached Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I sectioned the trail. I started out in shelters and tenting. About half way thru I learned and became interested in the HH. Since I got into the HH, I have never been without it. I will say that while backpacking in Yosemite finding small trees was a bit of a problem. Never thought of the extremely large tree issue until I was out in the back country. I made it work but it was a bit of a surprise the first night when looking for two trees in an area near good tent sites that my boys were in. You do need to be aware when temp dip down. Back pads or under quilts are needed. I have used mine down to about 25 and woke up in the snow. On the flip side they are nice and cool on those hot steamy nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I began section hiking the AT in '03 with a trusty tent. In '05 attended Trail Days and bought a hammock from Tom Hennessey himself. By that time, I had heard many things from hammock enthusiasts. For a while I switched back-and-forth between tent and hammock. Now I take my hammock almost exclusively. (Sometimes I take only a tarp, if it's not bug season.)

I've hammocked every month of the year. Lowest I've gotten on a trail is 16 degress, I believe. In my yard I've gone down to zero, comfortably.

RainMan

That quilt is hideous.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Foresight View Post
    That quilt is hideous.....
    LOL... it doubles as part of my incognito outfit for Clemson games in November! I think it's quite lovely! ~wink~

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

I hike with a Hammock but I also always carry a sleeping pad. A proper sleeping pad is an excellent way to to layer and keep warm in your hammock on those cold and windy March nights. This also allows you to be comfortable in a shelter if you decide not to pitch your tarp and hammock for the night.

Try not to make the same rookie mistake I made on my first Section out. I packed everything but the straps, left those hanging on the trees.

Have fun all !

Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by tarpon View Post
    I hike with a Hammock but I also always carry a sleeping pad. A proper sleeping pad is an excellent way to to layer and keep warm in your hammock on those cold and windy March nights. This also allows you to be comfortable in a shelter if you decide not to pitch your tarp and hammock for the night.

Try not to make the same rookie mistake I made on my first Section out. I packed everything but the straps, left those hanging on the trees.

Have fun all !

Have fun
    just curious if you also use an under quilt with that set up, or just the pad?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

RainMan

I enjoyed the tutorial you gave me when we hiked together on the construction of the under quilt you built, particularly the baffled construction design, and how it catches and holds the fill to keep it from migrating, but allows for air flow for compression and stowage, and the wetting and weighing of the down to fill a project...that's clever.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-19-2014 at 16:55.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I enjoyed the tutorial you gave me when we hiked together on the construction of the under quilt you built, particularly the baffled construction design, and how it catches and holds the fill to keep it from migrating, but allows for air flow for compression and stowage, and the wetting and weighing of the down to fill a project...that's clever.
    WELL HEY NOW!
    you need to share that tip Rain Man, never heard that but it instantly got my wheels spinning. Never done a down quilt- but if you successfully wet and stuff the down- that is sneaky.
    Clearly one of the biggest problems is stuffing high fill stuff. The horror stories of mouse farts, isolation rooms, vacuum cleaner modifications and the like are a big turn off-
    But duh- just damp up some and drop in a clump- now we're walking,talking and chewing gum.

EXPLAIN!
    (Did I just channel WOO?)

Default Just the Pad

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    just curious if you also use an under quilt with that set up, or just the pad?
    Just an insulated Pad, along with a good bag and liner. The pocket design in my hammock allows the pad to slip off my shoulders and migrate south if I move around too much. So getting settled in the sleeping bag with the pad still high on my shoulders is important.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    WELL HEY NOW!
    you need to share that tip Rain Man, never heard that but it instantly got my wheels spinning. Never done a down quilt- but if you successfully wet and stuff the down- that is sneaky.
    Clearly one of the biggest problems is stuffing high fill stuff. The horror stories of mouse farts, isolation rooms, vacuum cleaner modifications and the like are a big turn off-
    But duh- just damp up some and drop in a clump- now we're walking,talking and chewing gum.
    Sounds like you've got the idea. I soak my down before stuffing it in my DIY projects. Keeps it from floating all over the place. Well, for the most part, that is. Even wet, some gets out. I did learn that plain water won't soak it very well, so I use some "down wash" soap in the water. That helps. And after the DIY project is done, I throw it in the wash anyway.

RainMan

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

does anyone have a guess what the percentage of hammockers attempting a through not he A.T. are? Was I right in my earlier 'guess' that maybe 3 out of 10 A.T. hikers use hammocks?
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    does anyone have a guess what the percentage of hammockers attempting a through not he A.T. are? Was I right in my earlier 'guess' that maybe 3 out of 10 A.T. hikers use hammocks?
    I don't have a clue but in 2010 I personally met five thrus in Damascus that were using hammocks.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++