WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Section Hiker

I like my FLy Creek UL2 just fine--the front entry is no big deal but I don't love the saggy side walls. It's fine if you can get a good pitch, but sometimes you can't or it's just damp at night or rains and they sag. It is NOT freestanding. When it wears out, I will probably get a Copper Spur or a TarpTent, depending on if I want lightweight or free standing.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bbalsamo1103 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am about to purchase a tent for the A.T. thru hike (starting next year) and have narrowed it down to these two. I have heard a ton of great reviews but I want to know more from people who have actually used these tents on the A.T. My first question is, is it worth the weight to go with a UL2? I am 5'5'', but I want to be able to fit my pack inside or in the vestibule. Second, has anyone experienced problems with the Fly Creek and rain leaking into the tent? I have heard that the rain fly does not protect the inside of the tent when the vestibule is open. I want to get under three pounds if I can, but I am willing to bump over that if necessary.

Thank you guys so much!

I've hiked the last 800+ miles of my AT thru with a Fly Creek UL2. I like it so much I'm dropping the tyvek footprint and maildropping the BA footprint to protect it. I'm 6'0 with average build, and its got plenty of room to sit up, change, store all of my gear, etc. Big fan of this tent, and no, its not heavy at all. I plan on sending it to BA for restoration & resealing after my thru...whether it needs it or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++