WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default White gas: sold by the oz or by the giant container?

Time is getting closer and the small details are cropping up...

Still debating between my MSR whisperlite gas stove or my gas canister pocket stove. While weighing the benefit of white gas performance at high altitudes, I also began to wonder how it is sold along the traditional CT resupply routes, by the oz or only in the giant Coleman containers where you leave more than half of what you bought at the store? Along the Long Trail I recall finding both outcomes.

Obviously it will depend on the outfitter, and yes, I can (and probably will) google and call all the stores I could find in Breck, Leadville, Salida, Lake City, Silverton, etc., but thought maybe some people would have quick answers from experience and save us all alot of calls and time.

Thanks! ...As soon as the World Cup final is over I am hitting the trail!

Journal Entries
    Images

My experience is whitegas is easy to find in outfitter stores. never bought it by the oz., however have seen it for sale by oz. However I have switched out the nozzle and used gasoline from the pump. I use high test. Only East Coast experience, and with a 20 year old whisperlight. Usually I get the 32 oz containers of whitegas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GlobeTrotter View Post
    ... While weighing the benefit of white gas performance at high altitudes, I also began to wonder how it is sold...
    Sorry, I do not have any info on your question, but I do know there is no performance advantage of white gas at altitude. Canisters work perfectly in CO in the summer and are much more convenient to use and arguably safer in the ultra-dry conditions you might have.

Cold, like sub-35 temps do affect canisters, but just keep you canister in your tent with you and it will work just dandy. Altitude actually helps; people have the impression that it hurts but it only hurts because it is, of course, generally colder the higher you go. the lower pressure, however, actually helps.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

White Gas on the CT is not hard to find. Even grocery stores sell it next to the propane canisters, matches and other summer type supplies.

However, they typically only sell the one liter size..if you are lucky. More likely the gallon size. Makes for expensive trip in terms of fuel and/or just plain being wasteful.

As Rob said, canisters are pretty easy to find and work very well.

Save the white gas for deep winter backpacking when there is a lot of melting of snow (and possibly larger group use).

As for the World Cup, this comic comes to mind from The Oatmeal..
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Sorry, I do not have any info on your question, but I do know there is no performance advantage of white gas at altitude........
    good info, thanks. i had been loyal to white gas for my earlier years and then for no particular reasons i have began using the canisters more recently. i had thought that white gas had those benefits, but thanks for refreshing my memory..!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Also great info, thanks!

Regarding the World Cup, yeah that is a funny comic! I def hear you, and while I am by no means an average sports geek, I admit to being smitten about the Cup. I mentioned it only because I had previously planned a start date a couple days beforehand until I realized when the final was...it only happens every four years! Plus, when you dont watch many movies or TV, you gotta have some kind of popular social commentary .

Starting this thread and pondering the question has me thinking ... uh oh ... and while I have often been a go with what you already know backpacker, I am considering experimenting with an alcohol stove. (http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use great article and further links Mags)

Given the high snow year, should I be free of concern about a possible fire ban on using alcohol stoves?

I would hate to hike half-way, hit a burn ban (possibly in the drier San Juans?) and be stoveless...thoughts?

Bear Creek (Jerry Brown; same gentleman who does the excellent CT maps) can give you the skinny down in his neck of the woods, but up here in the Front Range I doubt there will be any bans in the immediate future.

Having said that, how many cups of water do you boil a day? A canister stove may be better for you based on your cooking style.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Bear Creek (Jerry Brown; same gentleman who does the excellent CT maps) can give you the skinny down in his neck of the woods, but up here in the Front Range I doubt there will be any bans in the immediate future.
    Probably true, but sections 1-5 sure are bone-dry, so much so that even with dead-calm air, I was worried about building any campfires late last week (so I didn't, And I'm a big campfire fan). No significant precip in quite a while, though still lots of runoff from heavy spring snow buildup.

There are no bans down here yet, but I think there is a very good chance that there will be. It is extremely dry in the Durango area right now.

Journal Entries

I usually use alcohol, but I figured that it would be easier to get cannister then fuel by the oz, so im bringing a jet boil.... not my favorite set up,, but if thats the worse that happens, I'll be happy...

Default Fuel Canisters at Twin Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by 32ozgatorade View Post
    I usually use alcohol, but I figured that it would be easier to get cannister then fuel by the oz, so im bringing a jet boil.... not my favorite set up,, but if thats the worse that happens, I'll be happy...
    I was at the Twin Lakes General Store today (6/25) and they have 15-20 4oz fuel canisters for sale. I did not see any 8oz canisters, but they have very large Coleman canisters,
    Starting the CT tomorrow morning from Waterton Canyon.
    Gimpy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tower2 View Post
    I was at the Twin Lakes General Store today (6/25) and they have 15-20 4oz fuel canisters for sale. I did not see any 8oz canisters, but they have very large Coleman canisters,
    Starting the CT tomorrow morning from Waterton Canyon.
    Gimpy
    Good info, thanks for posting. Are you set with a ride to the trailhead? I'm giving 32ozgatorade a ride to Waterton in the morning.

The large Coleman propane cylinders are for car camping stove/tailgating grill type use. Good to know that they have a good supply of the 100 gram canisters. Twin Lakes is looking better and better.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Good info, thanks for posting. Are you set with a ride to the trailhead? I'm giving 32ozgatorade a ride to Waterton in the morning.
    Thanks for asking. Wife will drop me off (or dump me off) tomorrow morning about 545am. I'll see 32oz gatorade on the trail. It is getting up to 90-92 tomorrow and want to get an early start. Thanks for other info you have provided on this forum for the CT.
    Gimpy

Having said that, how many cups of water do you boil a day? A canister stove may be better for you based on your cooking style.
    Maybe up to a half a liter in the morning for coffee/tea and about 3/4 liter for cooking dinner (pasta, liptons etc) plus another 1/2 liter for tea at night. With the possibilities of a fire ban anywhere I will probably just go with the canister stove. Still might experiment with the alcohol stove at home just to get the practice...thanks!

With that much water a day, you are probably better off with a canister stove then.

The alchie stove is good for 10 boils (assuming, at most, ~.75 ltr per meal) before a canister stove is more efficient in terms of weight.

Have fun!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

++ New Posts ++