WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So due to some travel issues/hike dates I've had to change my plans. I'm going to have to drive myself and don't have as much time set aside to hike as I did before. My new plan is to stay in NC as it's a much easier and shorter drive. I'm going to park in Hot Springs and take a shuttle back to my car when I'm done.
    Day 1: Hot Springs, NC - Spring Mt. Shelter
    Day 2: Spring Mt. Shelter - Jerry Cabin Shelter
    Day 3: Jerry Cabin Shelter - Hogback Ridge Shelter
    Day 4: Hogback Ridge Shelter - Bald Mt Shelter
    Day 5: Bald Mt. Shelter - Spivey Gap for pickup - shuttle back to Hot Springs

It's about 58 miles total over 4.5 days which I think is doable. I've been hiking some local trails out here at Eno River State Park to stay in shape. I sold my Sierra Designs tent and picked up a Six Moons Design Skyscape Trekker which dropped almost 2lbs. Going to take it out this weekend for an overnight trip. I also ordered an Enlightedned Equipment quilt to replace the heavy REI bag. I don't think it'll make it in time for the hike though. Any thoughts on the route?

On section hiking, logistics tend to be easier if you park near your end point and are driven to your starting point by the shuttler. You then have a car at the end and don't have to meet up at an uncertain time.

Of course, this depends on having a safe place to leave your car at the end-point.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

if you end up having time Labor Day Weekend, A few forum members and I are planning to do the whole GA section. (Those with limited time, can jump on/off anywhere along the trail as they want.)

Looks like we will have a decent sized group going.

Here is the WB link:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...95#post1892695

The Facebook link is on that page, if you want to RSVP even as "maybe"
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by jayw288 View Post
    Any thoughts on the route?
    Yes: unless something has changed dramatically in the last two weeks, expect to see little to no water on Day 2. Camel up as you leave Hot Springs - little to no water between Rich Mtn Firetower and Jerry Cabin Shelter.

Happy hiking~

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    On section hiking, logistics tend to be easier if you park near your end point and are driven to your starting point by the shuttler. You then have a car at the end and don't have to meet up at an uncertain time.

Of course, this depends on having a safe place to leave your car at the end-point.
    That's a good point. How is the parking at Spivey Gap? Or would a sobo hike to Hot Springs be a better idea?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jayw288 View Post
    Day 1: Hot Springs, NC - Spring Mt. Shelter
    Day 2: Spring Mt. Shelter - Jerry Cabin Shelter
    Day 3: Jerry Cabin Shelter - Hogback Ridge Shelter
    Day 4: Hogback Ridge Shelter - Bald Mt Shelter
    Day 5: Bald Mt. Shelter - Spivey Gap for pickup - shuttle back to Hot Springs

Any thoughts on the route?
    Hello fellow Raleigh hiker!

I did your exact Day 1 - 4 hikes during my trip last fall. Hot Springs to Spring Mtn wasn't bad.

Spring Mtn. to Jerry Cabin was much tougher than it looked on paper. Starting about 4 miles before Jerry Cabin, there's a 2 mile section of "exposed ridgeline trail" which is basically a whole bunch of short, steep up/down climbs. Plan for about 2 hours just to do that part. Views are definitely worth it, but if the weather's bad, there's also a blue blaze trail that bypasses the ridgeline section.

Jerry Cabin to Hogback Ridge was also tough, but not any worse than the previous day. Just be prepared for a LONG climb in the afternoon. Hogback to Bald Mtn was shorter, but still lots of climbing.

For Day 5, another option would be to hike into Erwin and shuttle back to Hot Springs from there. Uncle Johnny's in Erwin has shuttle service. It's 17 miles from Bald Mtn to Erwin, but the hiking is pretty easy, and the hostel is literally RIGHT THERE when the trail drops into Erwin.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post

For Day 5, another option would be to hike into Erwin and shuttle back to Hot Springs from there. Uncle Johnny's in Erwin has shuttle service. It's 17 miles from Bald Mtn to Erwin, but the hiking is pretty easy, and the hostel is literally RIGHT THERE when the trail drops into Erwin.
    You read my mind. I'm driving into Erwin and staying at Uncle Johnny's the night before I start. I'm taking the shuttle to Hot Springs in the morning and hiking back to Uncle Johnny's.

You will have the shelters and trail pretty much to yourself in early August. Temperatures will be in the mid to high 70s and lower 80s with very high humidity. Depending on the weather pattern it could rain on you nearly every afternoon or evening. Water sources are getting low right now and in the next couple of weeks I suspect only the most reliable will be running. Be sure to ask any hiker you see coming from the opposite direction about availability of water. It sucks to run low in August. Not much to say about direction, although I do believe the trail is easier in GA going North.

Have a great a hike.

Oops I see you changed your plans. Disregard my post above as it pertains to the GA section.

I'm planning a similar hike next week but hiking SOBO from Hot Springs down to Davenport Gap. Jayw288, would love to hear about your hike if you're back already!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++