WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Unionville to Bear Mountain NY

Unionville to Bear Mountain NY and maybe a bit farther...anyone remember how many miles they did each day and/or where they stayed each night during this section?

Images

I don't recall off-hand how many nights. I do remember I stayed at the Shelter/Campsite just north (East) of Unionville, just past the waterfowl reserve. I also took a night in Greenwood Lake - Breezy Point Motel. I believe I stayed in the Fingerboard shelter north from Greenwood Lake as well. The final night before Bear Mountain, I stayed at the West Mountain Shelter. Long way off the trail, and no water (did cross a small trickle of a stream on the trail into the shelter, but would not count on it). It is a small, old shelter but has a fantastic view of the NYC skyline right out of the shelter on a clear enough night. Recommended. Made for an enjoyable hike over Bear Mountain the next day. I ended that section at the zoo parking lot.

One caution, the section from NY/NJ state line to the shelter north of Greenwood Lake is surprisingly tough hiking. Constant up and down over small rock outcroppings. Too small to register on profile maps, but definitely felt when hiking.

Images

I did this in two section hikes (started at DWG) and posted photo albums during the past year. I you'd like to see, let me know and I'll post links. They will note where I stayed each night.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

it took me 2.5 days, I get resupplied in Unionville, NY and then hike to Wilcat Shelter and Tent (28.9 Miles), the next day i hike to William Brien Memorial Shelter and also Tent ( 19.4 iles) And the next day i am hiking across Bear MT Bridge, The water sources in this section is very Intermediate so don't count on them any time you have a chance to water up do it.

it took me 2.5 days, I get resupplied in Unionville, NY and then hike to Wilcat Shelter and Tent (28.9 Miles), the next day i hike to William Brien Memorial Shelter and also Tent ( 19.4 iles) And the next day i am hiking across Bear MT Bridge, The water sources in this section is very Intermediate so don't count on them any time you have a chance to water up do it.
    Most section hikers takes around 3.5 to 4 days to do this section it's 57.8 miles.
    their's a few other shelters and some campsites within this section that's an easy hike apart, but remember this is part of the Famous Deli to Deli hike. So go have lots of fun and enjoy.

"famous deli to deli hike" hahaha I was thinking that when I hiked the section before this one lol.
    Rain man I would love check out those links and Lyle thanks for the hard section heads up.
    I really do want to enjoy myself. I'm comfortable with day hikes and camping but long distance hiking is still so new to me. I really UNDER estimated what I could hike in a day for my last section hike but there seemed to be a lot more camping options last time.
    Thanks for your help, humor, and encouragement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wi11ow View Post
    Rain man I would love check out those links and Lyle thanks for the hard section heads up.
    I agree that this section is more difficult than the profile map might lead one to believe otherwise. Here are the links to the photo albums of my two section hikes covering that stretch in the past year.

DWG to Vernon, NJ Oct '13.

Vernon, NJ to Bear Mountain, NY June '14.

Enjoy!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++