WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Summer Sleeping Options

Currently the only bag I have is an REI PolarPod Lite Long. It's rated to 31 degrees according to the REI website although I haven't tested it that low. Not a bad bag for the price (I paid $50) but it is a little heavy for my wants at just under 3 pounds (47oz). I'm looking for a lightweight summer/fall bag or other sleeping setup. I'd like to stay under 2 pounds. Here are some options I've looked at.

Sea to Summit Spark SpI - 13.8oz - 46 degrees
    Sea to Summit Micro MCII - 23oz - 36 degrees
    Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 - 20oz - 40 degrees
    Mountain Hardwear UltraLamina 45 - 22oz - 43 degrees
    MontBell Down Hugger 800 #5 - 22oz - 40 degrees
    Sierra Designs Backcountry Quilt - 24oz - 30 degrees

Any thoughts on these bags or other lightweight setup they like (I'm open to quilts and blankets).

Images

I use the MHW phantom 45, not a particularly warm bag, but plenty warm for summer and early fall, I bought it really cheap for the AT last year (starting in early May), like $150, I think an older version, here is one for $162, though it doesn't specify the bag length (I bought the "long", and it's weight comes in right at that 20 ounces).

http://www.klmountainshop.com/Produc...YhAMgodgEsAew#

Images

I got a Jacks r Better 45F rated quilt for summer use. It's 17 ounces and works pretty well down into the 40s if I wear the right clothing to bed. It's great in my hammock, but works pretty well on the ground too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

1+ on the Phantom 45. Most of my hiking is late spring to early fall, and in the southeast. Temperature range is fine for those parameters. I did stretch it one cold, driving rain night. No thermometer, but I could see my breath, and ended up soaked before getting camp set up. Changed to dry socks and heavy wool shirt, and after some initial shivering, slept comfortably. It squishes down to smaller than a water bottle, and though I haven't weighed it, the 20 oz. seems right.

Managed to find an older year Phantom 45 for $160. Are there any significant differences between the older version and the current year?

Section Hiker

I have a Thermarest Alpine 35 down blanket I like a lot. It's under 2 pounds. I think I am going to grab a poncho liner for a couple nights I have planned in GA in early August though--won't need the down blanket. I'll carry a mylar in case of a cold storm.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Decided to go with an Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt. Listed at just under 20oz. I'm excited to try it out. Went with the quilt instead of a mummy because of the versatility. I like the option to have my feet exposed and a little more freedom in warmer weather to use it like a blanket of sorts.

++ New Posts ++