WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

CF97 > Everything Else.

Default Mid July Start - Gear List

Work, save money, hike, repeat.

Got an email from a good trail friend, who said he was doing the CT this year. I looked at my calendar and bank balance and realize, "Hey! I can hike this year!" 'Cause a short wintery loop in the Smokies was not enough for me this year. We will be starting mid July from Denver.

This is a work in progress (still need to weigh some items). Just wondering if I'm on track here. This will be my first time backpacking out west. I know I could shed a good half pound by switching out shelters and a sleeping pad but for this trip I have bit of a tighter budget. Thanks for your input!

http://lighterpack.com/r/3joaov
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

1. I'm not familiar with your sleep system. What's the temperature rating? You'll probably have a few nights in the mid-20s.
    2. For evenings and early mornings, I recommend a warm hat. Is that what your "wool buff" is?
    3. Any waterproofs? Again, I don't recognize all of your descriptions. Waterproofs, i.e. jacket and rainpants are most useful while in camp. More than once, I ate dinner in rain. With a mid-July start, you will have rain.
    4. Between the Marmot windshirt, fill jacket, and long sleeve, there may be some redundancy. You may only need 2 of the 3 but see what others say.

Have a great hike! I'll be in the CT corridor this summer hawking my book.

CF97 > Everything Else.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    1. I'm not familiar with your sleep system. What's the temperature rating? You'll probably have a few nights in the mid-20s.
    2. For evenings and early mornings, I recommend a warm hat. Is that what your "wool buff" is?
    3. Any waterproofs? Again, I don't recognize all of your descriptions. Waterproofs, i.e. jacket and rainpants are most useful while in camp. More t
    Coupled with my down jacket hat and rain jacket it this sleep system kept me alive on the Long Trail that had tempts in the single digits. My Buff is my hat. OR Helium II is my rain jacket, I plan on using my ground sheet a rain skirt.

Best of luck on your book tour!
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

You must sleep very warm. Or I sleep very cold. Good luck and have fun.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++