WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The desire to live and sleep outdoors is a rarity in American culture and so anyone who shows an interest in it should be encouraged and supported whether male or female. Since there's so much of Nature and so little of me, or of you, I suggest everyone get out on solo trips as much as humanly possible no matter you gender. If Christine Thuermer can do it, anyone can---

http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspo...out-me_03.html

Otherwise we live in fear and squander a life away indoors. The solo women I see are a unique breed and become over time independent, tough and strong. They use common sense and experience and for the most part laugh at the American preoccupation with Fear.
    Yup. Took ONE trip for me to overcome my fear. The majority of trips I ended up camping where other people were within earshot (or screaming/whistle distance, lol). There's always trepidation, especially the first two nights where I was actually the ONLY person camping in the immediate area.

Best suggestion is to go with your gut. For the most part, hikers are extremely friendly (and chivalrous- I've had more than a few men young & old offer to assist me with my tent/water etc). If someone gives you the heebee-jeebees, tell them you got an early start on your friends, tell them your SO is meeting you at the next trailhead, make a joke about how your friends are out of shape slowpokes. I've come to realize most people ask me if I'm hiking solo out of awe- I guess you can say that I'm a rare sight on the trail (see avatar).

One time I met up with a LASH hiker who initially seemed creepy, but very friendly. Needless to say, I met him again a few weeks later on another section hike, and I learned that it was just his demeanor- he was actually a nice, sweet guy. A little odd, but nice nonetheless.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Backpacking alone brings a lot of trepidation for most people. I think it mostly boils down to fear of the unknown. There is also the companionship factor---I like solo hiking but in general I enjoy my trips more with a (competent) companion. You have someone to share all the highs and lows.

East coast hiking tends to have less of the isolation factor, especially the AT and anywhere more accessible. Some mountain west hiking is very isolated and this adds another element of risk---namely being so far away from other hikers or rescue if needed. I always get a little edgy when I'm 7-10 miles deep in a wilderness area. Often there is no cell service, and help is 24+ hours away in an emergency. You can push the red button on a SPOT beacon but again---coordinating a rescue effort in an obscure area is a huge undertaking.

All that said though, I think hiking and backpacking are---for the most part---lower risk outdoor activities. There are bears and mountain lions, but these encounters are rare and bear visits can often be avoided with good camp practices. LIGHTNING is a huge and often overlooked danger, especially in exposed terrain. High altitude can be an inconvenience at best, and miserable or even fatal at worst, and should not be taken lightly. Trail hiking does not lend itself to many serious falls. Shady characters (of the human variety) are more common in populated areas with easy trail access---think shelters near roads.

I think the main dangers with backpacking come from poor planning and decision-making. Inadequate gear, being out in bad weather, and not leaving an itinerary are all things that invite a bad outcome. When it's all said and done, though, you can never eliminate ALL risk, and if you want risk-free activities then you'll just end up living a sad and boring life squandered away indoors, to quote Tipi Walter.

"if you want risk-free activities then you'll just end up living a sad and boring life squandered away indoors, to quote Tipi Walter. "

Except they might not be risk free as sedentary indoor people are more likely to have a heart attack or die of other diseases prematurely. Or go mentally ill due to excessive treadmill usage.

Saj -

Give them something to do to participate in the hike like sending you mail drops or collecting and mailing cards and goodies. Invite them over and show them everything in your pack, explain what each one is for and why you're carrying it. Let them try on your fleece or puffy and a hat, get in your sleeping bag, put on your backpack, walk with your hiking poles. They'll feel more comfortable that you know what you're doing and what it feels like to "be a hiker". And let them watch some of the super inspirational you tube videos about thru hikes. My niece, who would never, ever even consider car camping said she got all excited about my hike when she watched a couple of them.

Umm...don't hike "alone." Seems like an obvious one but let me build on others comments. The vast majority of hikers are the nicest folks who will stand up for a weaker/vulnerable hiker. So actively engage other hikers Know who is hiking around you...read their logs and leave useful info for others.

This is very important for safety anyway...you learn water situations ahead, inbound weather, hostels/trail angels, and sketchy people on the trail. Use the network of good people. The only time somebody hikes alone is if there genuinely aren't other people out or the person is intentionally isolating themselves. (Which is okay...just have the resources to take care of yourself then)
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++