WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Be sure and read the label of that Olive Oil found at the Dollar Tree store. The ones I have seen have been a mixture of Olive oil and other oils. Of course you could buy the bottle, use the oil at home and refill with the real thing.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I have used the pharmacy grade screw top liquid bottles with great success for the past few several years. I usually go to the local CVS or Walgreens and ask if I can have a couple of their largest size bottles. I do put the bottle in a ziplock but so far that has only been for peace of mind.

No matter what is used, the concept of "just in case" put it in a Ziploc is a good one. Rather alone or with other foods.

Leaked or spilled oil only takes about a day to oxidize and permanently make what ever nylon or cloth it contacts smell rancid, something very hard to remedy after the fact.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Be sure and read the label of that Olive Oil found at the Dollar Tree store. The ones I have seen have been a mixture of Olive oil and other oils. Of course you could buy the bottle, use the oil at home and refill with the real thing.
    Excellent point! EVOO is about twice the price of OO. Decent EVOO costs about 55 cents/oz compared to about 28 cents/oz for OO. Canola(as named in the U.S) or Rapeseed Oil(elsewhere) is about 10 cents/oz and almost always comes from genetically modified Rapeseed crops. The current GM origin of Rapeseed Oil is why you don't see some pushing the health benefits of it as much as they had a few decades ago when less Rapeseed was GM. EVOO is the highest quality OO and to the best of my knowledge is not a GMO. When you see OO and Canola Oil blends like in the Subway packets or elsewhere(some restaurants are doing it too) it's typically about 25 % OO and 75% Canola. The OO used in these blends quite often isn't of the highest quality either. These oil mixes are done largely for economical and marketing reasons ie: to get the olive oil words injected into the product. I definitely notice an immediate "off" distinct taste and texture difference with the canola oil/OO blends.

I went shopping at the EVOO for Mrs. Wayne yesterday. What a treat. I'm sure she will share some with me for backpacking.

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I used a 4 ounce bottle I found this year. before that, I used a 8 ounce green plastic medicine bottle for several years. Neither changed the taste of the oil nor degraded from contact.

About olive oil: EVOO refers to first press, no steam extraction. Most olive oil comes from olives raised in Spain or Africa, even if it says "Made in Italy" True Italian Olive oil (made from olives grown in Italy) is supposed to be darker in color and tastes "better". Or so a friend from the Genoa area told me.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Ordering the 1/2 oz packets isnt too different from the cost of bulk bottles, surprisingly. With free shipping. But man, thats a lot of little packets for 2 weeks.
    I haven't compared the cost. That is surprising. Yeah... I have a lot of little packets... oil, mayo, mustard, PB, jelly.

I love adding olive oil (and coconut oil and coconut cream) to my FB meals. I made a video on packaging small amounts of oil, nut butters, homemade "goo" for youtube. Granted, you need a seal-a-meal...

for longer hikes, I would probably use a platypus in a large ziplock.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.freundcontainer.com/kaute...pe/p/v3200B01/

I got this bottle for our oil, and we had no leak issues for our entire hike.

No matter the container, a tip to not have leaks would be to create a bit of negative pressure in the bottle by squeezing out some air before tightening down. No one needs to create have the heat of the day creating a bit of pressure pushing liquids out.

I just came across this online but haven't actually seen it in 3D.

New Italian Military Surplus Olive Oil Canteen
    589454_ts.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++