WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone Planning To Thru Hike or Section Hike BMT Next Year?

Title more of less says it all, but I really want to section hike BMT next year. I cannot thru hike it do to work, but I can get an extended weekend and try to do it in 4 90-mile sections.

I have exclusively been a day hiker so I am a little nervous of section hiking alone.

I plan to do it NOBO.

I hope to have family drive and pick me up at towns and/or major roads (no forest roads) to make it easier for them. Any advice on how to do it in four sections would be great.

Any advice would be welcome. Also if you would like to join me for some/all or plan your own thru hike and wouldn't mind me tagging along for a section of it, please just let me know.

The best piece of advice that I can give is get the thru-Hikers guide by Sgt.Rock AND carry the appropriate maps. the idea of using maps is often dismissed by AT hikers (and with reason) but the BMT is a different animal. It's not so much a single well blazed trail as is the AT but a series of trails linked together that form the BMT. maps are particularly useful in the wilderness areas where blazes are nonexistent. you will see wooden sign posts that may indicate the intersection of trails #4 and #96, for example, and without a map you will not know which of these two trails is the BMT for the next section. your map will make that clear for you.

another thing to consider (keep in mind I have only hiked from Hwy 64/Thunder Rock through the Smokies so I don't know anything about the southernmost 100 miles): if you are the least bit nervous and have never overnighted you may want to consider a 'trial trip' on the AT first. why? because it is well blazed, easy to follow, and you will see other people. I recently spent 5+ days on the BMT without seeing another person (outside of the people in the Fly & Tackle shop and Webb store in reliant, Tn.) I was glad that I had some solo backpacking experience when I did this section (Tapoco to hwy 64/Ducktown). I don't think of this particular stretch as a "beginner's trail" by any stretch of the imagination (although others may disagree with me on this). I think the actual hiking (in terms of elevation changes) is actually easier here than on the AT but other skills (map reading, knowing what/how to pack, etc.) are way more critical. Or if you are going to break it up, start with the Smokies first. Much easier hike in terms of following the trail...the BMT there gets shared with the horseback riders and campers so the trail is more "visible' and you are more apt to encounter others.

I am not trying to discourage you. I just think this trail takes a bit more prep and planning. on the plus side, it's isolation makes it 'feel' more like a getaway or wilderness experience than hiking on the AT. BTW, I am hoping to do the last 100 miles or so later this year. If so, you are welcome to go with me for some or all of it. I was going to do it a few weeks ago but had to cut my hike short due to a family medical emergency back home.

As 4shot said, I'd strongly urge doing a section on the AT first. While some of the BMT is very well marked (the southernmost 60 miles come to mind), the next 100 miles were extremely hit or miss. I was -very- glad to have the Sgt Rock guide, Trails Illustrated maps, AND a basic compass. There were several times that I referred to all three to confirm my choice between unmarked trails. You'll come across unmarked junctions as well as long (multiple mile) sections that are totally unblazed. The last 20 miles northbound to the Tellico River Road were also covered up with enough overgrowth and fallen trees that I thought I might have ended up on an old section of trail.

My time on the BMT was wonderful, but a vastly different experience than an average trip on the AT. If you don't have a base of experience from that or something similar, you'd do well to start elsewhere. Doing the BMT as a first backpacking trip doesn't seem like my idea of fun. It's also a very solitary experience. During my 8 days, I only saw a handful of hikers on one day. All other days it was just me, myself, and I.

@ 4 shot & CalebJ. Thanks for the information. I really do appreciate it. I will definitely get Sgt. Rock's book, Maps and a compass (and learn how to use it).

I do plan to do a section on AT over labor day weekend. Hopefully do Springer to GA/NC boarder, but I will be very tight on time. I am hoping for 4 20 mile days, but with a pack I am sure I am overestimating my ability here. At least that is what everyone tells me.

I also plan to day hike Springer to Woody Gap. Then Woody Gap to Neels Gap before that section hike. I have hiked blood mountain (loop) and Springer mountain (loop) more times than I can count. Recently did a 30ish mile day hike. Amicalola to Springer on AT approach. Springer to Three Forks on BMT (first 6 miles of BMT). Three forks to Long Creek Falls on AT. Long Creek Falls back to Amicalola on AT, AT approach, and Hike-in trail.

I did get the "alone" feeling on BMT. I didn't see anyone for the first "section" of BMT to Three Forks. I think it is more or less 6 miles.

As a day hiker, I just bring water, food, and sawyer filter to purify more water. That is it. So I am in the process of buying gear.

@4shots. If our schedules link up, I would be glad to join up with you for a portion of it. Please do send me a message when you decide to set definitive dates for this section hike.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    @ 4 shot & CalebJ. Thanks for the information. I really do appreciate it. I will definitely get Sgt. Rock's book, Maps and a compass (and learn how to use it).

I do plan to do a section on AT over labor day weekend. Hopefully do Springer to GA/NC boarder, but I will be very tight on time. I am hoping for 4 20 mile days, but with a pack I am sure I am overestimating my ability here. At least that is what everyone tells me.

@4shots. If our schedules link up, I would be glad to join up with you for a portion of it. Please do send me a message when you decide to set definitive dates for this section hike.

Thanks!
    AO2134 - that is very wise to do an initial trip. I think Calebj said it perfectly - the BMT (at least the middle portion) would not be a fun place to do your first hike. Again from his post, sounds like the first 60 miles are pretty easy to follow so that section, along with your AT trip, will allow you to get used to your gear and other "learning curve" type things. also, I will keep you in mind when I set up my springer to Ducktown hike.

Please do. Thanks for all the advice.

I'm planning on a thru hike next year. Not sure of the specifics . Looking at March or April.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    I'm planning on a thru hike next year. Not sure of the specifics . Looking at March or April.
    AtlantaDave, please keep in touch.

I have recently done Hwy 60 at Wilscot Gap (29.8 miles) to US HWY 76 (49.5 miles) as a 2 day out and back hike. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. Even the road walk is well marked and easy to follow.

I am hoping to do the first 29.8 miles very soon. After that hike, I will have more or less the first 50 miles of the BMT complete.

I am looking for help planning my next sections.

I have Sgt.Rock's amazing trail guide, which I used exclusively in this last hike. I never really used maps or compass before, so it looks like I need to get those skills to do this hike. The trail guide alone does not appear to be enough for certain sections. I am also apt to get lost on a 1 way street so I think it makes sense that I really, really plan this one out.

I have done 400+ miles of hiking exclusively on weekends over the last 4-5 months. I am no longer a novice, but I still lack a lot of skills/common sense.

I was looking for help planning next sections. It looks like I have to do Hwy 76 to Thunder rock campground as a very, very long 2 day 40 mile hike.

Is there overnight parking at Hwy 76? Any comments about this section I should know about?

Also, hoping for advice from those who have done the trail. I am a weekend warrior. I only have Sat-Sun for hiking. So what would be the section after Thunder Rock that you would recommend. I generally can do 30-35 miles on weekends with some comfort. I was looking at TN hwy 69 for next section after Thunder rock. Any recs?

This turned into a general solicitation for advice.

Well, if you keep doing out and backs on the BMT when you're finished you can say you did two BMT hikes one SOBO and one NOBO. I'm glad to hear it's been going well for you and that you are getting out.

On another thread you were asking about doing 2-3 day time frame sections on the BMT between Springer and Hwy 76. How did that work out for you?

I usually don't section hike and didn't do that on the BMT with my own vehicle so I can't say anything comprehensively about leaving a vehicle at Thunder Rock CG but it's just my best guess you could. It would be a good place to end a BMT section as there are showers in the CG. Here's the TR CG Cherokee Forest beta. Call the Ocoee/Hiawasee Ranger District ph # in the link to get precise info about leaving a vehicle in the vicinity on a BMT section hike. http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/sou...thunder%20rock

Don't you mean Hwy 64(not Hwy 69) about a 43 mile section between there and Hwy 76. http://www.bmta.org/TrailheadsandAccessPoints.htm

It may be hard to find here on WB with its Search feature but, unless I'm mistaken, I'm fairly certain leaving a vehicle a TR CG on a BMT hike was asked, and received a few replies, here already.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Well, if you keep doing out and backs on the BMT when you're finished you can say you did two BMT hikes one SOBO and one NOBO. I'm glad to hear it's been going well for you and that you are getting out.

On another thread you were asking about doing 2-3 day time frame sections on the BMT between Springer and Hwy 76. How did that work out for you?

I usually don't section hike and didn't do that on the BMT with my own vehicle so I can't say anything comprehensively about leaving a vehicle at Thunder Rock CG but it's just my best guess you could. It would be a good place to end a BMT section as there are showers in the CG. Here's the TR CG Cherokee Forest beta. Call the Ocoee/Hiawasee Ranger District ph # in the link to get precise info about leaving a vehicle in the vicinity on a BMT section hike. http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/sou...thunder%20rock

Don't you mean Hwy 64(not Hwy 69) about a 43 mile section between there and Hwy 76. http://www.bmta.org/TrailheadsandAccessPoints.htm
    I never did Springer to Hwy 76 since my hiking partner could not make it. When I looked at how I could divide the trail, the Ga Hwy 60 to US Hwy 76 looked like the best bet as a doable nearly 40 mile section in 2 days.

That trailheads access points link actually helps greatly. Thanks.

Looking at the link, I could do Springer to Hwy 60 Southern crossing as an out and back, 2 day hike and possibly southern 60 to Wilscot Gap and back as a long summer day hike. That would be more or less the southern 50 miles of the BMT NOBO and SOBO.

I do like the idea of saying i did the trail NOBO and SOBO, but I am not sure. I may just use a shuttle for the Springer to Wilscot Gap on Hwy 60.

Thanks again for info!

hi AO and Atlanta Dave,

I would be interested in joining AO whenever you get a long weekend to do at least 3 1/2 days. I'd be driving 6 hours to get there, but we could use both cars for start to end shuttle. I'm experienced on the AT and Pinhoti, but just tonight ordered my BMT guide book.

Also I'd be interested in joining Dave for a week to 12 days, depending on how compatible we are. I am comfortable walking 15-18 miles per day once I get my legs in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
    hi AO and Atlanta Dave,

I would be interested in joining AO whenever you get a long weekend to do at least 3 1/2 days. I'd be driving 6 hours to get there, but we could use both cars for start to end shuttle. I'm experienced on the AT and Pinhoti, but just tonight ordered my BMT guide book.

Also I'd be interested in joining Dave for a week to 12 days, depending on how compatible we are. I am comfortable walking 15-18 miles per day once I get my legs in shape.
    Ednotmilkman, I am looking at doing Appalachian Hwy US 76 to Thunder Rock Campground as a 2 night 3 day something soon. Let me know if this is a hike you'd be interested in.

I also plan to do Springer to Wilscot Gap as an overnight hike.

I'm planning on linking the Pinhoti to the BMT and the BMT to the AT in the Smokies. Starting the Pinhoti Feb 23rd and linking up with the BMT somewhere around March 18th (give or take a day or 2).

Quote Originally Posted by LAF View Post
    I'm planning on linking the Pinhoti to the BMT and the BMT to the AT in the Smokies. Starting the Pinhoti Feb 23rd and linking up with the BMT somewhere around March 18th (give or take a day or 2).
    I added on the 70 mile or so BMT section from the Pinhoti Tr Northern terminus where it junctions with the BMT South on the BMT to Springer on a Feb Pinhoti Tr NOBO thru-hike. The following yr I did the 520 mile or BMT/AT Loop. There are SO MANY hiking opportunities that include or DON'T include AT mileage. The AT connects with SO MANY other worthwhile to hike trails and basically an infinite number of routes. The AT is definitely not the only trail to hike in the east. IMO, a great many more hikers should consider that broadening their hiking possibilities - EVEN AT THRU-HIKER WANNABEES! For the love of God display some hiking imagination by considering a wider range of hiking destinations than just the convenience of hiking the AT.

Images

Agreed....
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    IMO, a great many more hikers should consider that broadening their hiking possibilities - EVEN AT THRU-HIKER WANNABEES! For the love of God display some hiking imagination by considering a wider range of hiking destinations than just the convenience of hiking the AT.

couldn't agree more. However the AT is a good "beginner's" trail. Not beginner in the sense of physically easy but it's easy to navigate, guidebooks point to every water source, privy and shelter every 8-12 miles, you will likely see other hikers throughout the day in the event of a mishap, many places to "bail out", resupply is easy to get, etc. As was discussed much earlier in the thread, the BMT and similar trails might not be the best trail choice for a newb. With some experience, then these certainly become very attractive, or even superior, alternatives. i love hiking for days on end without seeing other people. Or seeing trash in a fire ring. ( Or smelling the odor of an nearly overflowing privy).

Need to report that I'm still interested in section hikes of 3 to 14 nights on the BMcK with at least one buddy. But I can't get away for more than 4 nights until April. I got the new Guide Book and Databook so will be ready to plan anything now. In the last few years, I've decided it is better for me to just go when someone else can go, since I get tired of solo hiking.

I am looking at BMK, I like the off the beaten path thing, for sure. Smokemont to Big Creek......

I am still looking for a partner for two upcoming hikes. Springer to Wilscot Gap as a 2-day hike. It is about 30 miles. I can make it three day with a short night hike Friday night after work.

If I can't find a partner soon, I will likely do it as 2 out and back hikes. I cold say I did approximately the first 50 miles of the BMT NOBO and SOBO, which is pretty cool.

I have already completed Wilscot Gap to Hwy 76.

Next I hope to do Hwy 76 to Thunder Rock Camp Ground: 42.8 miles without side trails | 2 night / 3 day hike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++