WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

He lives in alaska, and has done these before. He even has a dvd of of previous cross-arctic adventure.

He's not a n00b. I'm sure he's one of the most experienced trekkers on this site.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by electronVolt View Post
    A drysuit would greatly increase your comfort / safety while paddling. Have you had to acquire special permits or licenses?
    Good thoughts. I've had to acquire hunting and fishing licenses, and state and federal duck stamps. It wasn't easy getting all the regs and licenses and stamps this early in the season!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The way you are doing it puts more immediate pressure on you for food. Basically, you are putting yourself into an emergency survival food situation - are you not? You said you're not bringing ANY initial food? I find this odd since you are already hauling in all the rest of that gear. It's like you are saying I'm going to tough this out food wise but yet you have all this other gear. Why not bring some food to start?
    Dogwood, I'm doing it this way because this is the adventure and goals that I've selected for myself. And no, I'm not bringing ANY food other than salt and pepper. And no, I'm not putting myself into an emergency food situation because there is plenty of food out there if a person knows what they're doing. I have literally done survival trips since I was 10 years old. I don't have to hope that the caribou migration appears or the grayling are biting. There are foods I can find regardless.

If I were doing this in the Brooks Range in February it would be survival situation and I wouldn't do it.

Like any adventure, there are things that could potentially go wrong. Starving to death on this trip is not something that's going to happen. For sure.

That's something I thought you would say Colter. I wanted you to share it here though. Have a safe and enjoyable time. Send us some pics if you can. I know R&J

Images

good luck on your adventure sounds like a really cool thing to do i will be checking your journal from time to time

Images

Wow...
    what a life experiencing adventure lies ahead of you. I do envy you Colter.. I read your journal you've started with great interest and found myself intrigued by your remarks that you would not harvest a bear unless in self defense. I can appreciate a person that has respect for the bear and regards for its allowance to coexist with humans.. I've harvested 3 bears in my life and one of them was while I was living in Fairbanks and working at Ft.Wainwright as a civilian. Don't hate me bear lovers, although I may have harvested bears in the past my outlook towards bears has drastically changed, I've since gained lots of knowledge of bears and have nothing but love and respect for all bear species...now I am Pro Bear! Well, just not Chicago bear ....

Hmm, I recall mosquitos in Alaska as large as our mosquito hawks in the lower 48. How cool, our internet service provider was named Mosquito.net. I was fortunate to mail home and bring back to the mainland via the airlines freshly caught halibut and salmon packed on dry ice. Yummy
    Too many great memories to reflect on without hijacking this thread, from the shock of arriving in Alaska in early March wearing shorts and t-shirt, viewing the world record kodiak grizzly bear displayed in the anchorage airport to savoring what I consider the best tasting meat in the world, that of dall sheep to my mini adventures.
    Yep, I envy you for being fortunate to reside in Fairbanks, AK...

Enjoy your upcoming wildlife adventure..... btw, I watched the trailer of your dvd ALONE ACROSS ALASKA and definitely plan on purchasing one for myself and another dvd as a gift, it looks to be a spectacular viewing...
    Ironically enough, God's last name isn't Damn....

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Wowsa! You sure are living the life, I'll definitely be following your journal. Best of luck!

Default I'm back from my Alaska survival trip

I've added numerous photos to my journal. Check it out if you like.

It was a true adventure, but it's good to be home!

Glad you didn't get eatnin by bears...look forward to the pics, welcome back!

What a great adventure. For now I just looked at the pretty pictures, I'll have to go back and read the full journal some time.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Awesome!!! Thx for sharing.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Oh, goodie, another colter Writeup to read. Really enjoyed your desert trek a couple of years ago. This one should be good.

Journal Entries

Several years ago one of my brothers (the "Survivalist" of the family) planned a multi-month trip to the wilds of Alaska. Some sort of personal leadership development kind of thing is what I understood to be the motivation. He didn't tell many people, but he wanted me to know in case something happened and he didn't make it back. He bought a canoe, a satellite phone, maps, and whatever else he thought he needed, loaded it all into a crate and shipped it to someplace north. Then he began his journey.
    He never did tell me much about it, but he abandoned his adventure and most of his gear just a couple weeks into it after coming in contact with something (a fungus perhaps?) that made his privates "swell up like a watermelon." The End.
    I haven't had time to read your journal yet, but I hope you had a much better experience!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I've added numerous photos to my journal. Check it out if you like.

It was a true adventure, but it's good to be home!
    Welcome back. I look forward to reading about it, and seeing the pictures. Thanks for posting them.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Amazing trip, thanks for sharing in such great detail!

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds Awesome!!! Have an amazing adventure!!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Really enjoyed reading your journal. You are an inspiration to a dude like me stuck in an office all day. My mind and heart are elsewhere!

Hi All,

I've written a book about the experience: Alone in the Fortress of the Bears: 70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska; Foraging, Fishing, Hunting.

Click the link in the first post if you want to see the book cover.

Is there anyone on Whiteblaze who wants to read a copy and give some feedback here? If so I'll send someone a free Kindle or PDF copy. PM me.

Thanks!

Buck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++