WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT Map with Milage Markers

I recall seeing a web page with a Google map insert with an AT overlay that had mile markers included, but now I can't find that. Does anyone know what I may have been looking at?

Images

I've not seen the mile marker map but this is the shelter marker'd map
    http://tnlandforms.us/at/googleat.ph...-77.48&scale=6

Images

I used a google earth script once but it was ok
    this may help too
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ine-Trail-Maps

Try this site. http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=3#

Above the map you can select "Show Distances". Using the pointer you can see the mileage marks. "Clicking" at a start point and at an end point will give you the distance between the two points. Hope this helps.

If you just want distances try this site: http://www.atdist.com/

Thanks, but i have all these bookmarked already. The one I recall had the AT overlay with a marker every mile.

I found this one, but it's not the one I remember.

http://www.trailheadfinder.com/long_...l#.U7DHrbFBkvI

If you click the layers button you can choose mile markers. As you zoom in you get more markers.

Gut hook app has this feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticTourist View Post
    Gut hook app has this feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't have a smart phone, so if it is only viewable with an app, it wasn't the one I had seen previously.

BTW, the reason I wanted this was so I could print a map of my hike with mileage markers for my wife so when I check in she can easily track my progress. I ended up just printing a Google Map with the AT trace and writing mile markers in by hand taken from the data pages.

OMO, are you sure this wasn't a dream? Don't think too hard, you'll start questioning reality....

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    OMO, are you sure this wasn't a dream? Don't think too hard, you'll start questioning reality....
    No it wasn't. But I am hiking in central VA starting exactly one week from today. I am questioning my sanity, wondering if it is a good idea to plan a hike down south in the heat of mid July

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I don't have a smart phone, so if it is only viewable with an app, it wasn't the one I had seen previously.

BTW, the reason I wanted this was so I could print a map of my hike with mileage markers for my wife so when I check in she can easily track my progress. I ended up just printing a Google Map with the AT trace and writing mile markers in by hand taken from the data pages.
    I left a copy of AWOL's book with my wife and texted her my mileages so she could follow along in that. We also keep the tall skinny overall map on the wall so she has a more visual way to follow along (and my son loves looking at it).
    Once I taught her how to read the book, she found that the easiest as she could see mileage profiles and get a better sense of where I was when sharing landmarks along the way. I think staring at the overall map on the wall too lends the right perspective to the scale of the trip.

YWMV- we tried the numbers thing once on a River to River hike, "You can just tell me when you get home" was the eventual result.

I added the SPOT last year, can't say I like it in anyway, but she was very happy with the tracking and "ok" updates. We also used the message feature to note some benchmarks along the way. This was a big help as I keep my phone off and cell service is spotty at best- at least with the Spot there was a relatively steady supply of info coming in. I would not use one if I was a bachelor, but as a married pappy; it goes along way to keeping everyone happy at home. Unfortunately, the days of "I'll call you when I find a payphone" are over for most of us, especially when a non-hiking partner/family is at home.

++ New Posts ++