WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pacing in Whites

I noticed that a couple years ago someone posted their itinerary for the NH section and people gave really good feedback as to the pacing of it. I've done shorter hiking trips and trips not in the Whites so I don't have a good idea of mpd estimates and have had a hard time finding resources online. I'm mid 20s and in shape. Any advice/thoughts would be welcome!!

Day 1: Hanover to Moose Mtn Shelter (11.5 miles)
    Day 2: Moose Mtn to Hexacuba (17.6 miles) is this doable??
    Day 3: Hexacuba to Jeffers Brook (15.7 miles)
    Day 4: Jeffers Brook to Beaver Brook (6.9 miles)
    Day 5: Beavers Brook to Kinsman Pond (13 m)
    Day 6: Kinsman Pond to Liberty Springs (7.4 m)
    Day 7: Liberty Spings to Garfield (7.7 m)
    Day 8: Garfield to Ethan Pond (14.5 m)
    Day 9: Ethan Pond to Nauman (9.3)
    Day 10: Nauman to Crag Cabin (12 m)
    Day 11: Crag Cabin to Pinkham Notch (9.8 m)
    Day 12: Pinkham Notch to Imp (13.1)

Offhand it looks quite reasonable to me.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I did that part as a section hike, and you are repeating my itinerary almost to the letter. The Moose Mountain to Hexacuba day has a lot of climbing for your first full day, but it's totally doable. If you're feeling good, I think you could easily do Kinsman to Garfield in a day (you must be going to town to resupply, right?).

Despite what some people here tell you, do not be afraid to try for work-for-stay at the huts. Worst they can do is tell you no. Staying at Madison will save you some extra climbing to and from Crag Camp.

BTW, if this is your first time in the Whites, take all the warnings about terrible weather seriously. People die up there every year, summer and winter. Be aware of bailout options if you have to get off a ridgetop in a storm.

Have fun!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    ... take all the warnings about terrible weather seriously. People die up there every year, summer and winter. Be aware of bailout options if you have to get off a ridgetop in a storm.
    To the OP, yes to be above, hope and pray for good weather, but be ready for bad, and for bad's effect on your itinerary. Also consider that the Whites are just grueling, much harder than the rest of the AT corridor to the south, so that a nero or rest day might be in order. That could happen with a bad weather day. But even with a long string of nice days, you might find yourself wanting to take a day off, for instance, checking out waterfalls in Crawford Notch rather than going up Webster Cliffs right away.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Despite what some people here tell you, do not be afraid to try for work-for-stay at the huts. Worst they can do is tell you no. Staying at Madison will save you some extra climbing to and from Crag Camp.
    I've heard that Madison hut is booked solid for the entire season. Judging by the number of cars in the parking lot lately, I believe that. That means the number of work-for-stays they will be willing to put up with is going to be very limited. Yes, the worst they can do is tell you no, but that means going down to the Valley Way tents sites and hope there is still a spot open there, pushing on to the Osgood site or back tracking to Crag. Not worth the risk.

The last week of July and the first week of August is typically the peak of the busy season. Avoid these two weeks if you want to have any chance of finding a camping spot!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

From my memory, 5 and 12 look to be the toughest.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Why is Imp a final destination? If you plan to go on to Gorham, I would stop before Imp and stay at Mt Hight. Then I would do the 13 to Gorham the next day. Mt Hight is simply an awesome place to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Why is Imp a final destination? If you plan to go on to Gorham, I would stop before Imp and stay at Mt Hight and do the 13 to Gorham the next day. My Hight is simply an awesome place to stop.
    IIRC (and it was a heckuva long time ago) Imp had a million dollar view looking back over the northern end of the Presidential range.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    IIRC (and it was a heckuva long time ago) Imp had a million dollar view looking back over the northern end of the Presidential range.
    Mt Hight was the best view of any campsite I had on my entire thru. The sun set right over the Presidentials. It was moving.

And the best part was that no one seemed to know about it. I had it all to myself.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 06-30-2014 at 14:57.

Mt Hight was the best view of any campsite I had on my entire thru. The sun set right over the Presidentials. It was moving.
    I wasn't aware of a campsite on Mt. Hight. Stealth, I presume? Does the AT even go over it?

I wasn't aware of a campsite on Mt. Hight. Stealth, I presume? Does the AT even go over it?
    Going NOBO the steath (legal) site is to the left just before the summit. Yes, the AT goes right over the summit. I didn't even know about this place and was planning on hiking further. I looked around and said "this is home for the night".

Images

The A.T. does route over Hight. I'm looking at it as part of my next hike, possibly in the Whites, on the AT from Pinkham to Zeta Pass, then down to the valley. We'll see. Very much looking forward to a visit of Carter Dome and Hight, as well as the Wildcats and Carter Notch. Getting excited thinking about it!

Glad I followed the thread, then. I'll have to check it out. I have AMC map in front of me but not AT map, and the trail splits around Mt. Hight. Wasn't clear which of the two was the AT. There's no marked campsite on that map, on either of those trails over or around Mt. Hight.

Not sure how you're planning to get off the mountain, but Nineteen Mile Brook trail is nice; it drops you off on Rte. 16 about 3 miles north of Pinkham lodge.

Images

Glad I followed the thread, then. I'll have to check it out. I have AMC map in front of me but not AT map, and the trail splits around Mt. Hight. Wasn't clear which of the two was the AT. There's no marked campsite on that map, on either of those trails over or around Mt. Hight.

Not sure how you're planning to get off the mountain, but Nineteen Mile Brook trail is nice; it drops you off on Rte. 16 about 3 miles north of Pinkham lodge.
    That's the plan, Stan.

Thanks for the feedback!! Burger, yes going into town to resupply. I've planned an extra day for the weather and ChinMusic, need to be in Gorham at a certain time so need to be a bit closer the day before. Good to know about Madison hut.

Thank you to all!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

From my memory, 5 and 12 look to be the toughest.
    I concur. The climb of South Kinsman would be toward the end of Day 5; I found it surprisingly difficult early on a dry morning let alone at 3 pm from Beaver Brook.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Here is my itinerary from when I hiked through the Whites:

7-22
    Day 132
    Mile 1754.7
    Tenting at Moose Mountain Shelter

7-23
    Day 134
    Mile 1772.4
    Hexacuba Shelter

7-24
    Day 135
    Mile 1787.2
    Hikers Welcome Hostel

7-25
    Day 136
    Mile 1804.0
    Tenting at Eliza Brook Shelter

7-26
    Day 137
    Mile 1812.8
    Trail Angel's House, Lincoln, NH

7-27
    Day 138
    Mile 1822.3
    Stealth camping by Garfield Pond

7-28
    Day 139
    Mile 1837.6
    Ethan Pond Shelter

7-29
    Day 140
    Mile 1851.7
    Lakes of the Clouds Hut (Work for Stay)

7-30
    Day 141
    Mile 1861.8
    Osgood Tent Sites

7-31
    Day 142
    Mile 1872.3
    Stealth camping

8-1
    Day 143
    Mile 1887.6
    Royalty Inn, Gorham, NH
    Out of step with the world...

My trail blog:
    http://saladdaysonthetrail.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cro-Mag View Post
    Here is my itinerary from when I hiked through the Whites:

8-1
    Day 143
    Mile 1887.6
    Royalty Inn, Gorham, NH
    Used to stay there sometimes when we skied at Wildcat or Sunday River. Nice pool and hot tub.

Nice hike, sounds like.

++ New Posts ++