WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Merino question

Thanks to all who responded... sounds like Icebreaker is the way to go in general over Minus33. I appreciate the comments on other brands too, but with a discount through a friend it's hard to pass on the Icebreaker items. I think I'll start with some of their Hike Light Crewe socks and a few shirts. Thanks again!

Really enjoyed following you on Trail Journals last year!

I can comment WRT socks. I have 4 pairs of Darn Tough socks. They are mostly wool with a little spandex. That blend definitely does not diminish their stinkproofness. I typically wear a pair of socks for at least a week before moving on to another pair, and even then, they really don't smell bad. My older daughter is a real germ-o-phobe and neat freak. When I told her I wear the same sock for a week, she couldn't believe it, so I gave her a clean pair and a pair I had been wearing for a week and asked to tell which was dirty by the smell and she couldn't do it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by B'ham View Post
    I've been looking at a number of sources for merino base layers and socks. Having little experience with merino, I was wondering if you're better off with pure, 100% merino, or a blend of merino and synthetic. I've seen a wide range of blends, from 100% merino to these trail socks from Minus33 that are 57% Merino Wool, 29% Nylon, 11% Stretch Nylon, 3% Spandex. It seems to me that a bit of synthetic would add some toughness to the merino and perhaps help prevent stretching, sagging, and so on, but it also seems as if that would perhaps reduce the odor fighting effectiveness. I'd love to hear from those with a lot of merino experience as to what they feel is the appropriate blend, or if 100% merino is better. Also, would you stick with the same blend for both socks and base layers? Finally, through a friend, I can get a deal on Icebreaker and Minus33 products... any opinion which of those two is superior? Thanks!
    The huge secret? it really doesn't matter - the density and the smaller fibers trap air. So Microfiber such as un-patented Polartec is the best at 300 weight & USA made. The name brand stands alone... China decimated it with knock offs. Merino is clearly a great natural fiber that traps air... not as important in the USA vs GB and well you need a little warmth on the other side of the pond. IF you like it and you prefer Merino that's awesome, I have several sweaters. I like them... but they will not hold up at 100% vs other blends. Synthetic past up natural many years ago. for now, synthetic is smaller lighter and can be more dense - and thats OK enjoy your natural clothing - dump it if you travel to Antarctica.

Thanks for the great thread starter
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-07-2014 at 21:35.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Just want to also give a shout-out to Ibex, another great wool brand. They're headquartered in Vermont and sell quality merino products. I like the style and fit better than Icebreaker. As a Vermonter, I like to support Ibex and Darn Tough!

+1 on Icebreaker for all the reasons listed above: comfort, stink-free, warmth, coolth, etc. I have two long sleeve shirts of the 150 weight.

HOWEVER....
    1. Mosquitoes can/do bite thru the 150 weight fabric. Not a great shirt if a long sleeve shirt is your main mosquito defense.
    2. I have a light blue Icebreaker shirt and the sleeve cuffs will not come clean and are stained and really grungy looking even when clean.
    3. The material is kind of clingy, and I don't care for how it photographs.

EDIT PS: I have this one: http://us.icebreaker.com/en/womens-t...ip/100844.html

I bought them used/returned on Amazon for $30-40.
    Last edited by DLP; 07-13-2014 at 13:57.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++