WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Help - Skin Irritation on Thru

I'm in the middle of my 2014 thru hike and the skin on my thighs seems to be revolting against my decision to hike. This happen to anyone else or am I just a leper?

On the tops of my thighs I am getting red bumps, similar to pimples, at the base of my hair follicles. My thighs are breaking out, with easily 30/40 of these on each leg.

They tend to itch/burn a bit at night, particularly if I'm overheating in my insulation. They look more red/inflamed at the end of the day, than they do in the morning. They have been around for easily 2 months at this point.

Additional information that could be relevant. I sweat a lot. I have 2 pairs of exofficio boxer briefs that I alternate daily under running shorts.

I could upload a picture of my legs, assuming your eyes/sanity can handle it lol.

Anyone have insight into what's going on? What can I do to stop/minimize this?

What may be happening is the hair on your thighs might be breaking off because of your boxer briefs and becoming in grown. Try not using the boxer briefs and wash the areas a couple times a day to break the pimples and allow the hair to regrow. Also some body glide may help. I sweat a lot also and the inside of my thighs rub and have to wear loose fitting convertible shorts and no underwear or netting when I hike or I break out also. Hope this helps

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

You could have chiggers. They get under the skin and cause itching, bumps and irritation. They like moist areas. The last time I hiked in PA I picked them up and infected my upper, inside thigh. I also thought it was some kind of heat rash at first.

One of the problems of wearing shorts is picking up those nasty little bugs which are hard to get rid of. There is a cream you can use. Basically, you have to cut off the supply of air to them to kill them off.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I use Under Armour boxerjocks with a 9" inseam. I had some pretty bad chafing issues before I found them. They don't ride up on my thighs and they don't hold onto moisture.

Section Hiker

Sounds like chafing and/or heat rash, unless your hairs are breaking off like mentioned above but the boxer briefs are so soft I don't know that they would do that. Get as much air up there as you can, maybe get some looser chorts or a kilt--I started hiking in a men's kilt this year and love it. Now if I wear shorts I feel like I'm wearing plastic pants! Try the MOuntain Hardwear Elkommando Kilt: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens...lt-OM3417.html. Heck, I'd call MH and explain your issue, ask if they will comp you one as a gear test/review!

Also, try Body Glide or gold bond powder on the affected areas. I had a little chafing on the seams of my boxer briefs and the body glide solved that issue fast--worth carrying.

Good luck, keep on having a great hike!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

This stuff is the way to go.. I didn't believe it until I tried it. Use it on every hike now and even when working out

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Try vasoline or even duct tape with Vaseline coating it.

Images

ok I've had this and its a rash that comes and goes. best solution I've found is clean/rinse and splash tn dickenson whitchhazel on it overnite. Now hiking in the heat when your hiking starts apply alot of ARM&Hammer deodorant to your inside thigh and taint, this should prevent its return.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxedo View Post
    ARM&Hammer deodorant
    btw get the travel size available at some dollar stores and minimus.biz

++ New Posts ++