WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Colins Kilt

Default Colins Kilt

Rain skirt, Plastic bag, or as I like to call it..."Colins Kilt"

I first became aware of that term while reading Colin Fletchers book, "The Complete Walker" some 25+ years ago, and have always wanted to make one. Colin used a plastic bag to wrap his lower half for rain protection while on his hikes, and coined the phrase for himself "Colins Kilt" So as a tribute to one of my all time favorite authors I have dubbed the rain skirt for me as...You guessed it, "Colins kilt"

This fine piece of gear was made by William "Just Bill" Townsend fellow Whiteblazer, and I'm sure Mr. Fletcher would be as proud to wear one as I am. This Nylon, double stitched (cause I'm not a seamster, and don't know what to technically call it) has and draw string at the top hidden with-in a seam and a hem at the bottom, it will not only keep out the rain, but provide ample ventilation that you just can't get in rain pants, and affords more protection than a poncho in a blowing gale...it was tailor made to my measurenments, and I absolutely love it. Thank you so much Bill, this is a couple ounces I look forward to totin down the trail, might even go commando on wash day.

rain kilt 005.jpg
    Yeah, I'm tryin to suck it in

Mayhap an inch or so long for my taste, but easier to hem than stretch if you find the need. Though your rocketsocks are displayed quite handsomely.

Yar, a good fit suckin' in or otherwise. I'd suggest the vertical seam up front so it don't rub on your hipbelt when hiking, or a' rear as displayed when strolling the town. A fine bit o laundry wear as well.
    As fer the seamstership- the main vertical seam is called a flat felled seam, the bottom a hem, the top is just a rolled hem with the drawcord. You got a shoelace fer a drawcord, cause well, I had a spare shoelace of the proper size. The trendy kids call that up-cycling though most folks just call it practical.

Until you had mentioned it, I had forgotten Colin was a fan of the kilt, a fun fact to revisit fer this skirt fan.

Images

Your mannequin is much sexier than my Manakin.

Man if you guys could find some sil nylon in my Tartan, I'd stand in the rain for a week, on my head...Commando!

...some nice design features Judy.

I just love me new kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I just love me new kilt.
    Making me happy just to see you guys so happy.

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by DLP View Post
    Making me happy just to see you guys so happy.

Very cool!
    That's the spirit!

Journal Entries
    Images

Uh No................................................ ... not going to happen.... sorry.. thanks for an informative post...

and I am Scottish,,, who knew...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Uh No................................................ ... not going to happen.... sorry.. thanks for an informative post...

and I am Scottish,,, who knew...
    ohhhh...Kaaaaay, thanks for stoppin by.

Hmm know I've read Complete Walker, Thousand Mile Summer and Man Who Walked Through Time nn times each but I really don't recall Fletcher advocating kilts.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Hmm know I've read Complete Walker, Thousand Mile Summer and Man Who Walked Through Time nn times each but I really don't recall Fletcher advocating kilts.
    E-gads Man...we'll have to remedy that! I'll need to look up the page number and get back to you on this, pretty sure it's in the "New Complete Walke"r. Luckily the new complete walker has a complete index in the back, I'd be very surprised not to find it there...now, where's me Copy.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    E-gads Man...we'll have to remedy that! I'll need to look up the page number and get back to you on this, pretty sure it's in the "New Complete Walke"r. Luckily the new complete walker has a complete index in the back, I'd be very surprised not to find it there...now, where's me Copy.

Oops, it's "The Complete Walker III" Page 414-415

...and in "The Complete Walker IV" Page 549

That figures 3 & 4 I took a pass on. The writing seemed both dated and strained. I was spoiled by 1 I suppose.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    That figures 3 & 4 I took a pass on. The writing seemed both dated and strained. I was spoiled by 1 I suppose.
    It might be in other volumes as well, recently passed along volume II to another hiker, maybe he'll read this and check for Yeah...I gotta think it is, seems like this was something Fletcher may have come up with early on in his hiking career or as a Soldier, or Farmer.

if you look in the back of the book under either rain gear, kilt, Colins kilt, you may find it, in one book it's listed one way, and in the other, another way.

Journal Entries
    Images

Rs if they make tartan in nylon for umbrellas I am sure they make it for kilts... just takes a leap of faith that its out there.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

My lightheart is a very nice skirt.
    But if you order one, make sure that you order the waist size with enough overlap in front.
    Your waist plus 8-12 in. would be my suggestion.

Gee Bill you can do flat felled seams! I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Rs if they make tartan in nylon for umbrellas I am sure they make it for kilts... just takes a leap of faith that its out there.
    I've also seen it in poly underwear...but I can't post a pic of my wears.

Journal Entries
    Images

uh yea next post....

Woo

++ New Posts ++