WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CT Phone App Available

From the CTF Facebook page July 2:
    SMARTPHONE APP "The Colorado Trail Hiker." Brand new, now available for your CT excursion, hike, bike or horse. Get the CT on your ... iPHONE -->https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id892773591 ... ANDROID -->https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...titude.cthiker

Background from bearcreek on WhiteBlaze May 23:
    High Sierra Attitude LLC, Guthook Hikes, LLC, and Bear Creek Survey Service LLC have begun development of both IOS and Android smartphone apps for The Colorado Trail. In addition to the main trail, the new CT apps will include the latest Collegiate Peaks West alignment plus bicycle detours around wilderness areas.

Rats! It shows that this app is incompatible w/ my Samsung phone (Straight Talk). Wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Rats! It shows that this app is incompatible w/ my Samsung phone (Straight Talk). Wonder why.
    The Android app now requires Ice Cream Sandwich OS or higher (API 15). We may get it back down to Gingerbread.

Ice Cream Sandwich... Gingerbread... Getting hungry.

It would be nice if I could get it to work prior to my hike next week. Probably not going to happen, tho.

JMT 2012, 2013, CT July-Aug 2014

This app is amazing!!!! Go it yesterday and purchased the map set. We are so excited to have all this info on my iPhone. Photos, CT Map book waypoints, registers where peeps can post water reports etc. Thank you so much for this app! Three weeks until we start our CT journey. yeah!

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

Sounds really neat!

I'm a little confused by the Google Play description, though: I see that a free demo is available that includes Segment 1, but I don't see a download for the full trail. Is the full trail available at this time? What's the cost? Is it possible to zoom out far enough to see possible re-supply or emergency exit routes?

Thanks!

You start by downloading the free demo. There are links in it to purchase the full program. The cost is $9.99 for the entire enchilada including both Collegiate routes and bike detours, or $4.99 for the Collegiate Loop only.

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

OK! - that's great. Thanks Bear Creek, High Sierra Attitude, and Guthooks Hikes!

So far, no one has entered any trail updates into the app registries. I hope hikers start using this soon. The PCT has a water report that gets updated daily by hikers and its sooo cool. We plan on using this app extensively and adding trail condition reports and water
    updates and photos - we start in 16 days!!!

The sample looks great so far! I'll probably buy the full version before hitting the trail. I'm not big on using technology on the trail but this could be a good backup if my paper maps are lost in maildrops, etc..

App looks great! One question: I noticed that the topo lines for the sample section (CT segment 1) appear to be in metric whether or not the app setting is set to conventional or metric units. Are all the topo maps in the paid app in metric? Probably not a big deal either way but thought I'd ask...

Background base map (Open Cycle Topo) is projected in meters. Elevations for waypoints, distances, profiles, etc. are user selectable for imperial or metric.

I purchased the full trail and I can see how it would be tempting to replace printed maps with this tool if I had unlimited battery life on my phone! As it is, I'll be using it to supplement the printed maps, probably on the new CW segments in particular where I have the less detailed Latitude 40 map which also covers the new CW route. Very cool pictures and elevation profile as well.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Im still waiting for a current hiker to add a registry post about water or trail conditions - maybe I will be the first one!

Just wanted to say that the app was very useful on my CT thru, especially in the Collegiate West where the app had the updated trail info but the data book still had the old information. And about a half dozen times, I did verify that I was picking the correct trail at an unmarked junction by looking at the app. I don't really like to be dependent on an app, and I don't feel like I ever was, but I have to admit that verifying that I was on the right path was reassuring a few times. Well worth the $10.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

++ New Posts ++