WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Dave's Place - Damascus

This hostel is owned and operated by Mt. Rogers Outfitters. Located directly across the street from the outfitter it has 5 private rooms, 2 with double bunks and the others with 2 single bunks. Each room has heaters, fans, sleeping pads, shelving and towels for the shower. There's an inside sitting area with a microwave and books and mags. Outside is a covered deck/patio with a gas grill, coolers, picnic table and chairs. Also a deep sink for washing stuff. Last year it was $10.00 per room. I don't know this years prices.
    They also provide shuttles and safe parking. They are very hiker friendly. Phone# 276-475-5416 for more info and prices.

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

We didn't stay here (partaking instead of the Lazy Fox Inn incredible, famous breakfast) but everyone we were hiking with did, and we hung out here quite a bit while we were in town. Dave and the outfitter crew are incredible, really genuine nice folks, very accomodating, and a good alternative to the "place"...
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

I was gonna mention the Lazy Fox in another thread. Probably the BEST breakfast on the AT.

Images

Hey boy! Don't you go and insult Miss Janet with any of your Yankee "prob'ly" stuff. That is THE best breakfast, not just on the trail, but in all Christendom and beyond!

I love you Miss Janet! Will you marry me, or at least cook for me, forever?

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

I'm sorry but I had breakfast everywhere, and NOTHING, NOTHING compared to the Lazy Fox Inn. We were their only two guests for breakfast, and Jenny put out more food than you could want in a lifetime. Cheese grits, seven kinds of fruit, fruit salad, waffles, french toast, regular toast (5 kinds of jelly & jam) bacon, scrambled eggs with and without cheese, homefries, biscuits and gravy, sausage links, 6 or seven dry cereals and a couple kinds of oatmeal to choose from, sticky buns, milk, chocolate milk, cranberry juice, ornage juice, grapefruit juice...you name it, and she stayed in the kitchen to make us anything we asked for on top of all that! I wish I had taken a photo of that breakfast spread...what amazing hospitality and an incredible bargain for $50 bucks. If we even come back to Damascus, we will be regular customers of theirs.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Well Weasel it's obvious you haven't been on the trail too long or eaten many breakfasts along the way. What is Christendom?

Not a place you'd be particularly comfortable, I'm afraid.

Default NEW HOSTEL

HOWDY,IM OPENING A NEW HOSTEL ON MAY 1 NEAR FRONT ROYAL VA.LOCATED .2 BEFORE EXITING SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK(GOING NORTH)FOLLOW COMPTON GAP TRAIL(SIGN SAYS STATE ROUTE 610 .5). I HAVE 12 BUNKS AND A LIVING ROOM AND AN OUTSIDE DECK BUT BUT VERY LITTLE IN KITCKEN FACILITIES.PLEASE HELP ME GET THE WORD OUT TO THIS YEARS HIKERS AS I DIDNT GET IN THE COMPANION GUIDE,IM MIKE EVANS(THE GRATEFUL GREENPEACE GUY A.T.95,PCT98)540-631-0777,304 CHESTER GAP ROAD CHESTER GAP VA.22623,THANKS $13.00 WITH SHOWER ,LAUNDRY AND FREE RIDE TO FRONT ROYAL.

Images

Smile daves place

i stayed here and they did a shuttle for me on a section hike in dec 2001
    great service,a very good up to date outfitter shop

Default Worth It

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Not a place you'd be particularly comfortable, I'm afraid.
    Been there a few times. Yes, the hostel may be spartan, but it met my needs: a shower and a bunk. Had a BBQ grill for warmer weather cooking and space heaters in cooler temps. Plus, Jeff and Dave (at MRO) are some of the finest folks on the trail. Used them for shuttle service too. Plus, you might even get to meet some characters, like Lone Wolf, at the store. No offense, LW, aren't we all characters?
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

Images

Default Racist at M.R.O aka Dave's Place

I've been having a wonderful time in Damascus . the people here have been great to me ,However when I stayed at Dave's Place some strange things began to happen. It turns out that one of the shuttle driver wally is not fond of jewish people and made this perfectly clear to me in a conversation. he will mess with you if you stay at dave's place and you are jewish . I am pleading for your support in this matter by asking you to boycott the store and hostel until he is terminated from his employment at M.R.O
    sincerely High Life W.va -> ME. W.VA -> GA 07

High Life-"the people here have been great to me ,However when I stayed at Dave's Place some strange things began to happen..................."
    I summited with with Dave on Katahdin in 1990 and have stayed at Dave's Place during Trail Days for years and I have never heard any crap like that from anyone there-period. You couldn't ask for nicer people.

If you have any real or perceived problems with MRO, take it up with them directly rather than trying to start your own little hate campaign on WhiteBlaze. Maybe you should change your name from High Life to .....

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    I summited with with Dave on Katahdin in 1990 and have stayed at Dave's Place during Trail Days for years and I have never heard any crap like that from anyone there-period. You couldn't ask for nicer people.

If you have any real or perceived problems with MRO, take it up with them directly rather than trying to start your own little hate campaign on WhiteBlaze. Maybe you should change your name from High Life to .....
    i've been hanging out with high life all week. he's a stand up kid. his problem isn't with dave or jeff. it's with wally. he's been ****ing with hikers all season. this isn;t the first incident

Default Dave's Place, Damascus

I'm putting my response to the thread below (from Hiker Towns and Hostels) on this general forum, because I think the matter is not just restricted to hostels.

First, Old Phart, I agree that Dave's Place has a history of hospitality. That is not being disputed. Your suggestion that this issue be taken up with the employer, Mount Rogers Outfitters, of the person in question was attempted.

High Life's contention that the person in question, known locally as "wally," made an anti-Semitic remark to him was overheard by one other hiker. I believe that people should have a chance to explain themselves, so I spoke with Wally. He was extremely hostile and did not confirm or deny his anti-Semitic remark. I spoke with Tom at Mount Rogers Outfitters and asked if he would discuss this with the persons in questions, and his comment he didn't want to discuss this because "I've made up my mind." I asked him if it bothered him that he possibly had working for him an anti-Semitic person who harassed Jewish hikers, and he said "You don't know that." Well, I don't, but it seemed logical to discuss these matters. Tom then said that "If you spread this around I'll come after you."

This is disappointing, to say the least. Damascus prides itself on its hospitality to hikers. Many of us invite them into our homes, drive them to places where they can resupply, drink beer with them, help them find work for a few days, and generally like and support the many interesting hikers who visit us. It is disappointing that this one person, who I'm told has a history of harassing hikers, should represent us in this negative way. It is disappointing that the employer of this person refuses to discusses the matter, and places the blame on the hiker. And now probably places the blame on me because I would like to discuss this matter.

I personally have a problem with racists and bigots, and don't mind confrontng them. There are perhaps those on this forum who don't think an anti-Jewish attitude is important, but I live here, both daughters live here, and my grand-children live here. We are all Jewish.

So this is probably just a note to Jewish hikers: watch out for this guy Wally at Dave's Place. If there is a problem when you get to Damascus, contact me. I'm easy to find.

High Life http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_s...er_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_426131", true);

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Racist at M.R.O aka Dave's Place
    I've been having a wonderful time in Damascus . the people here have been great to me ,However when I stayed at Dave's Place some strange things began to happen. It turns out that one of the shuttle driver wally is not fond of jewish people and made this perfectly clear to me in a conversation. he will mess with you if you stay at dave's place and you are jewish . I am pleading for your support in this matter by asking you to boycott the store and hostel until he is terminated from his employment at M.R.O
    Find all posts by High Life

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_s...n/post_new.gif Today, 12:59
    The Old Fhart http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_s...er_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_426136", true);
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/imagefiles/d-member.gif
    View my gallery 239

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
    Quote:
    High Life-"the people here have been great to me ,However when I stayed at Dave's Place some strange things began to happen..................."

Quote Originally Posted by High Life View Post
    People who have a problem with, say, Jewish people are likely to have a problem with other types of people who are different from themselves, like black people, yankees, gay people, people from other countries, women.

Lone Wolf-"i've been hanging out with high life all week. he's a stand up kid."
    If High Life is a stand up kid then he should realize this is not the place or the way to resolve what may be a personal or personnel issue. What he is doing here is as bad or worse than what he is complaining about. This should be handled off line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    If High Life is a stand up kid then he should realize this is not the place or the way to resolve what may be a personal or personnel issue. What he is doing here is as bad or worse than what he is complaining about. This should be handled off line.
    i disagree.

Default Posts #12 and #15

You gotta be kidding me!
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

I merged the thread from the general forum into this thread. The duplication really isn't necessary in this instance. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    I merged the thread from the general forum into this thread. The duplication really isn't necessary in this instance. Carry on.
    Apologies, dixiecritter. Thanks for making this change.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++