WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Appalachian Trail (Georgia) Weather In Early September

Hey guys.

I am planning a section hike Springer Mt to Deep Gap in late August early September. What is the weather like up there at that time? Mainly what are the lows I should expect? Trying to figure out how much/what clothes I should pack.

My pack will be 30-33lbs so if I can save some weight with (unneeded) clothes I will.

Will be my first section hike.

Thanks all!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Based on the published climate data for Great Smoky Mountains National Park:

At lo elevations, the average Hi/Lo for September is 83º/55º (Gatlinburg)
    At hi elevations, the average Hi/Lo for September is 60º/47º (Clingman's Dome)

But you've got to possibly plan for temperature swings that are +/-15º from that.

As an example, the average Lo temperature at Clingman's Dome in July is 53º. But on the 4th of July, LeConte Lodge (similar elevation <10 away) recorded a low of 38º.
    LeConte Lodge has also seen snow at one time or another in every month of the year except July & Aug.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Based on the published climate data for Great Smoky Mountains National Park:

At lo elevations, the average Hi/Lo for September is 83º/55º (Gatlinburg)
    At hi elevations, the average Hi/Lo for September is 60º/47º (Clingman's Dome)

But you've got to possibly plan for temperature swings that are +/-15º from that.

As an example, the average Lo temperature at Clingman's Dome in July is 53º. But on the 4th of July, LeConte Lodge (similar elevation <10 away) recorded a low of 38º.
    LeConte Lodge has also seen snow at one time or another in every month of the year except July & Aug.
    weather is GA in sept can differ drastically compared to the Smokies. It could be much warmer than the averages you give here. of course, it could just as well be in the 30s.

a few years ago we left northern GA for a day trip to the smokies. it was early october. the forecast was for a high of 65 or so in northern GA. when we got to newfound gap it was around 40. when we got to the top of leconte it was snowing. GA and the smokies can be drastically different.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

of course the highest recorded temp at brasstown bald ever on record is 84 i think, which has always amazed me. in the valleys below it can reach 100 frequently.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I'd check the ten day forecast before you go to see if any unusual cold fronts (not totally uncommon) or tropical activity is predicted. If not, I'd take my lightweight summer quilt. A spare long sleeve t-shirt and possibly my 100 wt fleece and beanie would be all I needed. The 100wt fleece may be too much, but a good insurance policy. I hate to sleep cold.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    weather is GA in sept can differ drastically compared to the Smokies.
    North GA and GSMNP are geographically far enough apart that on any given day, the weather can be drastically different.

But when looking at seasonal averages, GSMNP is still a good place to start.
    After all, look at published seasonal averages for Atlanta: The average Hi/Lo for September is 82º/64º. You can say the seasonal average high in Atlanta is basically the same for Gatlinburg, so you can expect the same for the valleys between Springer and GSMNP. Dealing with cold are the mountains is a little tougher, but again, seasonal averages at Clingman's dome is a good place to start.

Early September on Springer mtn. can be sweltering. Or is could be downright cold after a thunder-boomer. The elevation is the telling variable in the GSMNP and/or N. Georgia.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Late August-Early Sept are still pretty warm in these parts but transitional. In looking at our weather station data for the past two years between Aug 20 and Sept 15 the high was 82 and the low was 47. You can expect averages to be more like 75 high and 58 low. The weather does change quite a bit during September so the later you go the colder it will be. We have had near freezing temps in late Sept.

Here is a link to our weather station. We are at 2900'+ so it is about as high elevation as you will find for a station in GA. Located a couple hundred yards from the AT

http://www.wunderground.com/personal...SUCHE4#history

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Late August-Early Sept are still pretty warm in these parts but transitional. In looking at our weather station data for the past two years between Aug 20 and Sept 15 the high was 82 and the low was 47. You can expect averages to be more like 75 high and 58 low. The weather does change quite a bit during September so the later you go the colder it will be. We have had near freezing temps in late Sept.

Here is a link to our weather station. We are at 2900'+ so it is about as high elevation as you will find for a station in GA. Located a couple hundred yards from the AT

http://www.wunderground.com/personal...SUCHE4#history
    thanks so much for that site. That is great. Everyone else thank you as well. I know what clothes to bring now.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Is this the memorial weekend hike you plan on doing?

Im still waiting to start my new job next week to see what my schedule will be like, to know how much free time I will have memorial wknd
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

^^ Memorial Day holiday is in May. Labor Day holiday is the first Monday of September.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    thanks so much for that site. That is great. Everyone else thank you as well. I know what clothes to bring now.
    Always happy to help a fellow Gwinnetian. My suburban hell home is in the Brookwood District. Still have to spend a few days a week down there to make a living.

It will be hot and humid. I hiked that area last Labor Day weekend and was in a constant state of perspiration. I slept on top of my sleeping bag each night and had a hard time sleeping as it was still pretty muggy after sunset. Scattered storms are also common.

I have lived in north Georgia all of my life. Trust me. IT WILL BE AS HOT AS A TWO DOLLAR SHOTGUN during the last of August / first of September.

jw

Hi - Are you a female? I'[m looking for a female hiking companion - section hiking beginning in September in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by juliepatten View Post
    Hi - Are you a female? I'[m looking for a female hiking companion - section hiking beginning in September in Georgia.
    If you were asking me, no I am not. Sorry.

++ New Posts ++