WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Default Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap

Returning to backpacking after a couple years off for school and heading out next week to hike from Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap. Couple questions since I haven't been to the area in quite some time:

1) Is it safe to park a car at Winding Stair Gap for a 3 nights?
    2) Is it safe to park a car at Deep Gap for 3 nights?
    3) How well are the water sources flowing in that section currently?
    4) If parking isn't safe, who is a reliable source for shuttling?

Many thanks!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Jay I did most of this in the fall two years ago and water sources were fine but that was the fall. As for parking we parked at the backcountry parking lot just outside Standing Indian Campground and did the loop.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

If you want a shuttle I would start with Ron Haven in Franklin, NC.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I seem to recall recent warnings on this site about parking at Winding Stair Gap. I've parked there in the past for up to three days w/o a problem. Deep Gap is safe in my opinion, since it is so remote and supposedly, patrolled by USFS on a frequent basis. Seems questions about safe parking at Deep Gap have popped up recently and most concur... pretty safe.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

There have been a number of break-ins at Winding Stair in the past, but I haven't seen anything for the past few years. Deep Gap should be okay, as long as the forest service road is open (which it should be by now).

I chose to park my car at Haven's Budget Inn and arrange a shuttle up to Deep Gap. We hitched a ride with another hiker from Winding Stair Gap back to Franklin.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    There have been a number of break-ins at Winding Stair in the past, but I haven't seen anything for the past few years. Deep Gap should be okay, as long as the forest service road is open (which it should be by now).

I chose to park my car at Haven's Budget Inn and arrange a shuttle up to Deep Gap. We hitched a ride with another hiker from Winding Stair Gap back to Franklin.
    Hooch, we will help you anyway we can and you can park at one of my motels free even if you get a ride with someone else..

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Thanks, Ron I appreciate it. I had to work, so wound up not hiking. I've got a week off in August, so hopefully I can take you up on it then. Much obliged, sir.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

++ New Posts ++