WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    likahike would you dispute the validity of this report as hearsay? I get where your comin' from, I always like my info first hand as well...but in this case the OP of this thread may not have seen it happen from over the hill and around the corner...but she was there, an active participant...good enough for me on this one.
    Personally I prefer to hear both sides of a story before I form an opinion. In this case I've heard neither side.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

If you download the shuttle list from ATC's website, it includes information about trailheads that have experienced criminal activity--including the last reported date.

Quote Originally Posted by yerbyray View Post
    There was a report of a female attempted abduction on Max Patch Rd on the Haywood county side around 1pm today's date. The situation is still fluid as a woman was either pushed into a gray Dodge Intrepid by two white males or was attempted to be pushed in the car.
    Law enforcement units are enroute as I type this.
    Update...Turns out it was a few locals who had a wreck, managed to get it back on the road, and subsequently wrecked again down the road. I think what the reporting party saw was the female getting fed up with the two fellows driving and decided to walk off.

Law enforcement got there and worked it all out.
    IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

Well, I had something like this happen to me. Me and a buddy were offered a ride from two girls. They were farmer's daughters actually. They took us back and said we could stay in their barn.

The come-ons became very persistent and the one bigger girl that favored Ellie May physically tried to pick me up and carry me to the loft, but luckily she was ticklish so I was able to keep her at Bay.

In retrospect, I was wearing some tight shorts and a sleeveless Under Armor shirt that may have contributed to the gals' behavior.

The last ting on my mind as a hiker was anything of a physical relationship with women, as much as many hikers want to develop and maintain healthy relationships with others without any expectations of taking advantage. Hikng 20 miles plus a day is more than enough of a challenge. Hikers who were hiking as couples with their girlfriends were hiking usually less than 10 miles a day. The problem hitch-hiking I had were drivers trying to put a "trip" on those they were giving "free" rides to, making it feel like you were being selfish or irresponsible for an extended hike. It's fine if those giving you a ride want a few bucks in return, but any such expectation needs to be made clear as the start. And once again this idea that you need to follow your gut instinct, your hunches, your judgment of the character of those in hiking situations often leads to unwarranted flight; if others neither do or say anything to give concern then why be concerned? Of course it is clear that anyone taking you anywhere except where originally planned/agreed at the start of the ride should be a cause of concern, but no one giving such a ride is going to take a chance of becoming the next target of local police and prosecutors with all the power they have. https://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/07/...aucratic-hell/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++