WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Stealth Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    You can camp most anywhere along the AT. Just walk 100" off the trail and set up your tent. Don't have a fire and break camp and leave early in the morning.
    I presume this is a casual comment, as its not quite true. Despite the fact there are places along the trail that limit or regulate where one can camp, best practice has long been a minimum of 200' from the trail for camping or sanitation.

Many, many place along the trail you couldn't get 200' off with a dozer.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Many, many place along the trail you couldn't get 200' off with a dozer.
    How would they help?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    How would they help?
    HAHA! The Krumholtz dozer

Dogs are great to hike with but please don't stay at a shelter with them, plus no dogs are allowed in the Smokies tho, I love to hike with mine tho,

I had the same question when looking at a 16 mile leg w/ 5500' elevation gain between designated sites - can I just find a spot and stop. Sounds like if the guidebook says "camping is permitted except where noted otherwise," I am good to go? A related question - once my body is broken in, does 16 miles and 5500' elevation take the 13 hours that I get with my 1.5 miles/hr plus half for each thousand feet rule? What is a long day?

Quote Originally Posted by Chumps Later View Post
    I had the same question when looking at a 16 mile leg w/ 5500' elevation gain between designated sites - can I just find a spot and stop. Sounds like if the guidebook says "camping is permitted except where noted otherwise," I am good to go? A related question - once my body is broken in, does 16 miles and 5500' elevation take the 13 hours that I get with my 1.5 miles/hr plus half for each thousand feet rule? What is a long day?
    No, just because a guide books says camping is permitted doesn't mean it is legal. The writers for the guide books do make mistakes and sometimes regulations change after the guide books are published. It is best to contact the appropriate agency for the correct regulations. You can also contact the ATC for additional information. As to your other question it depends on several factors as well. The terrain, the length of the climb the degree of the climb just to mention a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumps Later View Post
    I had the same question when looking at a 16 mile leg w/ 5500' elevation gain between designated sites - can I just find a spot and stop. Sounds like if the guidebook says "camping is permitted except where noted otherwise,"
    Mtntopper is right. It is the responsibility of the camper to know the regulations for the area they are in for what prohibitions or regulations are in effect.

Journal Entries
    Images

Great Post!!!!! Normally a hundred or so yards before or after a stream or near a nice overlook you'll be able to find a "Soft Trail", a lightly used trail that can lead to fantastic spots! I'll drop my pack just off that initial trail & explore the area. This is how I always backpack & I have found some some beautiful spots. These rarely used spots are usually clean & serene! Try not to camp too close to the streams or the overlook/view points to scar the earth. Enjoy!

~Boots
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Also as you get farther up the trail & start hiking longer days, you're routine will be to camel up in the evening when you hit a stream then hike on as the confidence in your stealth hunting improves.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yup. For some reason it seems many AT hikers believe it's illegal, or use the term interchangeably. I wish they'd call it illegal camping, like some places in the Whites or where camping is restricted, what it is, illegal.
    A example of illegal "Stealth" camping would be camping in Mt. Cammerer FT.

Images

Ever since the norovirus 2 years ago down south, I am pretty much done with shelters

Very happy in my lightweight, bug free, private tent

Journal Entries

I'm pretty sure you can only stealth camp where it is illegal. Otherwise, it's called dispersed camping.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gram cracker View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can only stealth camp where it is illegal. Otherwise, it's called dispersed camping.
    You can stealth camp anywhere that you can't be easily found. Some people like to imply it's illegal, but that's on them.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Came across this article. Extreme Stealth camping...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/13/ny...rees.html?_r=0

I opt to stealth whenever possible. Shelters are ok in poor conditions but that's also when they are usually the most full.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Came across this article. Extreme Stealth camping...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/13/ny...rees.html?_r=0
    Novel approach!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++