WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking to upgrade 2 person tent...recommendations please

I currently have an Easton kilo 2 person tent...I mainly hike solo w my 20lb jack Russell on the southern AT but plan yo start bringing my 8 yo son. Not sure about cuben fiber with a dog. I'm not sold on cuben as I own a zpack cuben food bag and seems to chafe pretty easily.....the Easton tent is aprox 2lbs so would like to shave few oz and make use of my trekking poles as supports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chafing? Youre not wearing it, are you? And are you sure the tent you have now is only 2 lbs? Thats really light, especially for a marginal brand.

Oops 2lb 13oz

Chafe.....I keep my cook kit in w my food bag. Snow peak mug almost rubbed a hole in cf food bag. Worried about dog nails and cf.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Chafe.....I keep my cook kit in w my food bag. Snow peak mug almost rubbed a hole in cf food bag. Worried about dog nails and cf.

Ah, now that could be a problem! I keep my cuben tarp in a place in my back where it wont get rubbed, and I dont have pets under it. You might be better off with a tarp anyhows, given the dog, and sil-nylon makes for relatively light weight at a great price.

I want the bug protection of a tent and keeps dog contained...

When I camp with both my 10-year-old and our 45 lbs pooch we use a Tarptent Stratospire 2. Big enough inside for them both to feel unconfined. The vestibules are large enough to keep the dog temporarily protected from weather but outside sleeping area. I prefer to clean her paws, dry her fur and generally clean her up before bringing her into the tent. Our dog typically comes in flops herself in a corner and stays put util it is time to leave the tent so, we have had no issues with her damaging the floor. Perhaps a doggie sized sheet of Tyvek would add a degree of insurance.

Weight wise the Stratospire 2 is comparable to what you have.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    When I camp with both my 10-year-old and our 45 lbs pooch we use a Tarptent Stratospire 2. Big enough inside for them both to feel unconfined. The vestibules are large enough to keep the dog temporarily protected from weather but outside sleeping area. I prefer to clean her paws, dry her fur and generally clean her up before bringing her into the tent. Our dog typically comes in flops herself in a corner and stays put util it is time to leave the tent so, we have had no issues with her damaging the floor. Perhaps a doggie sized sheet of Tyvek would add a degree of insurance.

Weight wise the Stratospire 2 is comparable to what you have.

Good Luck

Most of my hikes are just me and my 20lb jack Russell wouldn't need quite as much room...looks nice....contrail big enough?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Most of my hikes are just me and my 20lb jack Russell wouldn't need quite as much room...looks nice....contrail big enough?
    Only you will know for sure. My 10-year-old can be a bit squirrelly so, I'd probably not try to squeeze us both into a Contrail. Also, I prefer the side entry tents. I find side-entry substantially easier to enter/exit making it easier to keep dirt, debris and wet outside.

Good point

Have you looked at the LightHeart Gear SoLong 6? Uses your hiking poles, will easily fit you and your dog, and will save you some weight over your existing tent.
    Marc
    LightHeart Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
    Have you looked at the LightHeart Gear SoLong 6? Uses your hiking poles, will easily fit you and your dog, and will save you some weight over your existing tent.
    Marc
    LightHeart Gear
    I'd forgotten about lhg ill def add to list.
    Thx

Although it is only slightly lighter without the footprint than your tent, I use a Nemo Meta 2P. It has a good size sleeping area for two plus dog and has really large vestibules at 22 square feet each, one on either side with two doors.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

​Take a look at the new Light Heart Duo, only about 2 ounces more than the SoLong and more room, it might fit your needs.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++