WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Section Hiker

Default Dicks Creek Gap to Winding Stair or NOC--Weather & Water, early August?

I'm hitting a section between Dicks Creek Gap, GA and possibly up to the NOC in NC in the first half of August. I know these things can change, but in general, what should I expect in terms of weather and water availability during this time?

Anything else to know or interesting info about this section? What not to miss? Thanks!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Warm and sticky, but once at altitude (NC), it may be a bit cooler. I'd look at the ten day forecast for any cold fronts that may come thru or tropical activity and plan accordingly. It was 55 degrees this morning here in the valleys of western NC due to a cold front coming thru. Probable thunderstorms in the afternoons. We have been running a deficit wrt rainfall in these parts lately, but the section should have good water. Just tank up when you can.

Oh...you will enjoy Standing Indian, Albert Mtn, Siler's Bald (hike to the top, worth it), Wayah Bald, and of course the 360 degree views from the tower at Wesser Bald. It's great finishing up a hike at the NOC...shower, good food, and good beer.

Section Hiker

Thanks! I figured you would chime in.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

++ New Posts ++