WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

leaving in 3 days, anymore suggestions?

OK I just got back. I didn't stay in all the original ones planned due to 100MW kicing my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    My friend and I are hiking from Caratunk to Katahdin in Late August. I'm seeking current info on the following shelters:
    Pleasant Pond Leanto Arrived late, but OK shelter.
    Moxie Bald Leanto (What's the best spot to see/photo a moose?) Opted to sleep outside when I saw the great lakeside campsites.
    Wilson valley Leanto Hammocked outside, OK.
    Chairback Gap Leanto (is the spring running well?) Didn't make it here, camped near West Chairback Pond instead, got dark before I could make it. Did have decent flowing water, but a major climb down to it though from shelter.
    Sidney Tappan Campsite Hammocked at Carl Newhall instead. Newhall got crowded due to distance in HMW (2nd day for most TH, 3rd day for sectioners)
    Stayed at East branch Lean-to, OK shelter. Lots of camping nearby, water from river tasted less fresh than normal and one TH saw leeches in water.

Cooper Brook Falls leanto Georgeous place for lunch, nice cascade in front of shelter and some TH swam there.
    Antlers campsite, nice tentsites, brand new privy (Fort Relief), on shore of Jo Mary Lake, good swimming, good cell signal (Verizon and AT&T).

Nahmatkanta Stream Campsite Didn't even stop here. Stayed at Wadleigh Stream, and it was OK.
    Rainbow Stream Leanto Stopped for lunch, not bad, but had ballbat floors. Stayed at Rainbow Spring CS, not nearly as nice as other campsites and got really crowded as both NOBOs and newly entering SOBOs both stopped here.
    Abol Bridge CG they sell bugspray here for a reason, especially needed when entering BSP next day. Beer, poutine, camp, shower, beer, cheeseburger w/ Onion Rings and fries, and beer. then breakfast the next day (kitchen is closed but had a few breakfast burritos and cinnamon rolls). Has some resupply items (tuna,knorrs, ramen, oatmeal) but I really wanted some tortillas or bagles for lunch and they didn't have. No biggie, I'm 2 days from finishing. If you want beer, wine, or sodas for BSP or the top of Big K, buy here (no stores or even vending machines in BSP).

Are these in good shape, are there better alternatives nearby? Are there any "Can't miss" shelters or campistes that I should consider instead?

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    OK I just got back. I didn't stay in all the original ones planned due to 100MW kicing my butt.
    Isn't that fun though, throwin' out the plans and taking it as it comes, kinda thing that always appealed to me about a multiday hike.

Well we had to beg some food from a pair of older ladies that were bailing at Gulf Hagas as we were going to run out. We took 4 days of food and had a bucket drop at Jo-Mary Road. But revising our schedule down the 3rd day, meant we either needed more food, bailing out or begging the extra food. Luckily the ladies were happy to lighten their packs, and gave us some pretty tasty stuff for the extra day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++