WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Trying out no-cook food for JMT next month

I've been going round in circles about how I will handle cooking on the JMT next month. I've been using an alcohol stove for quite a few years now, and I've generally been very happy with it. However, with the increased fire danger on the JMT, and resultant confusion as to whether or not alcohol stoves are allowed with the restrictions, I've been considering options.

First thought was my Coleman Exponent F1 and an Olicamp XTS. Would be fuel efficient, not TOO much heavier, and fuel should be easy to get. I just can't get myself to like the idea of carrying empty canisters and not knowing how much fuel is in a partial one.

I then decided to go stoveless, and eat all no-cook meals. Have been experimenting with various dinners, dehydrating, and testing how palatable they are. I think I will be fine with this option. I do like hot coffee, though, and would like an option to warm up a meal if I feel the need. My solution will be to carry a Toaks 450ml titanium mug and an Esbit UL titanium stove. Total weight of these two: 3.5 oz. In my tests, 1/4 of an Esbit fuel cube heats the 450ml of cold tap water to steaming hot - plenty hot for coffee or to warm up a dinner. Each full cube weighs less than a half an ounce, so for one ounce of fuel (two cubes), I could get 8 cups of coffee or 8 meals warmed up. Seems like a great compromise. When in a fire restricted area, eat cold.

Supposedly Yosemite National Park has just recently clarified the restrictions, and specifically stated that alcohol stoves were legal along the JMT/PCT. You can still find conflicting statements from other authorities, however.

I'll let you know how it works out next fall, when I get back.

Garlic
    Images

Good luck. That's a long enough trial to get a good idea, but not so long to really affect your life if it just doesn't work out.

Coincidentally, it was in that area on the PCT I first tried stoveless--I bounced my stove ahead a few hundred miles. The first attempt was a good one, but not perfect. I tried it a few more times on the PCT, increasing the distance, modifying as I went. By the end of the PCT, I was confirmed stoveless and haven't carried a stove in the ten years since.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++