WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default The Private Life of Deer

I watched and enjoyed this documentary on Netflix this morning.

PBS' s Nature from May 2013 -- http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...ampaign=nature
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

I saw this two nights ago. Pretty interesting.

Great. Thanks for posting.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

I never knew a Deer would eat meat, or that they chew their cud.

In 2006 I nearly stepped on a fawn, but it ran of once I was right on top of it, which is weird because the people in the video walked up on the fawn and it didn't move. Maybe I stepped on it or kicked it a little

BTW, the video got me thinking...I've never seen an albino Black bear, including video footage. Anyone ever seen one?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I never knew a Deer would eat meat, or that they chew their cud.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    In 2006 I nearly stepped on a fawn, but it ran of once I was right on top of it, which is weird because the people in the video walked up on the fawn and it didn't move. Maybe I stepped on it or kicked it a little

BTW, the video got me thinking...I've never seen an albino Black bear, including video footage. Anyone ever seen one?
    yeah, I think they call that a Polar bear Naw, never seen one, but some hunter friends of mine tell me they've seen albino white tail in jersey.

Nice....Score!

I wouldn't have believed it before seeing this video.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Overgrown rat...BOOM..tasty!

Plenty of excellent documentaries, movies, and comedy shows on Netflix. I've almost entirely given up on watching time consuming cable TV. I'll take my viewing without the ads.

Interesting article on hunting deer http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/...hunting-areas/

Excerpt:

NEW ORLEANS –

"So you're a member of a Louisiana deer-hunting club, and your harvest numbers are down. You and your lease mates used to see deer on just about every hunt, but now you're excited if you run across a decent-sized track.

What's the smartest thing to do at that point?

If your lease is like just about every other in the state, your fellow hunters will begin to push for tighter restrictions on doe harvest because, after all, more does mean more fawns, which means better deer hunting in the future.

Right?

Well, according to the Quality Deer Management Association, that may be the absolute worst thing you can do. The organization published an article authored by John Donoughe and Mike Wolf that demonstrates the best course of action when deer numbers decline is often to blast away at the critters.

Seems counterproductive and, at a minimum, counterintuitive, but some knowledgeable deer researchers have demonstrated remarkable improvements in herd size and health by implementing the strategy."

Images

The fight, flight, freeze or fawn response is different for each individual. Everybody (animals included) responds differently.

While not true albinos check out the Kermode Bears. There was a NatGeo special on NetFlix not too long ago.

Interesting article on hunting deer http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/...hunting-areas/

Excerpt:

NEW ORLEANS –

"So you're a member of a Louisiana deer-hunting club, and your harvest numbers are down. You and your lease mates used to see deer on just about every hunt, but now you're excited if you run across a decent-sized track.

What's the smartest thing to do at that point?

If your lease is like just about every other in the state, your fellow hunters will begin to push for tighter restrictions on doe harvest because, after all, more does mean more fawns, which means better deer hunting in the future.

Right?

Well, according to the Quality Deer Management Association, that may be the absolute worst thing you can do. The organization published an article authored by John Donoughe and Mike Wolf that demonstrates the best course of action when deer numbers decline is often to blast away at the critters.

Seems counterproductive and, at a minimum, counterintuitive, but some knowledgeable deer researchers have demonstrated remarkable improvements in herd size and health by implementing the strategy."
    Funny how nature always finds a way to balance the species...most of the time, except in the case of humans...free will and all.

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    The fight, flight, freeze or fawn response is different for each individual. Everybody (animals included) responds differently.
    Makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    While not true albinos check out the Kermode Bears. There was a NatGeo special on NetFlix not too long ago.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Here's another interesting tidbit on the private life of deer, one I didn't know about. They don't like diversity. This deer was saved, because its mother was attempting to kill it. Audio link: http://www.wbir.com/story/news/natio...-mom/28525153/

++ New Posts ++